Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 9:30 pm

I did jury duty once. I don't like being on jury duty and hope to avoid it. It was a kind of a stupid case though so it wasn't a big deal. But I don't think I could handle a murder or something like that. I think that would be too much for me.

YoungAtHeart
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2013, 11:48 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
recently here a judge (Canada) has been sending the Sheriff's around to order people to appear or be arrested.

8O Scary. Glad I don't live in Canada.

I feel I couldn't POSSIBLY be a good juror. I have to many anxiety issues. Not to mention a problem focusing. When it's something I'm interested in (or doing something in my own time, in solitude) great, but if not then I just drift. I only get parts of conversations most of the time...even when someone's talking directly to me. I think that's an ADD symptom.

So yeah, I think I'd make a pretty awful juror. Thank goodness I don't have my license yet so I don't have to worry about being called. (I'm not registered to vote either.)

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnimatedSquirrel

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 12:24 pm

I'm having loads of anxiety being called on jury duty too. I don't really know what you have to do exactly, but if it involves speaking up in front of lots of people, then I'm screwed. I clam up and go all red, and just cannot do it. And it's not about missing body language or some other social cue because some criminals can be extremely good at covering themselves up and making themselves look innocent. I get anxiety more so on not ''getting'' the story properly, due to getting distracted or not understanding or whatever.

I could NOT do it.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 1:44 pm

Joe90 and any other UK members unsure of this,
there is an official contact for asking questions about jury service on here so perhaps ask them if x needs/difficulties or y condition excludes someone from it if woud like to lessen anxiety and hear it from the guys themself-
https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/questio ... ry-service

it makes sense that its an opt out rather than opt in thing though because having a condition doesnt mean everyone with it will be unable to do jury duty,dad is aspie and he did it some years ago,he got paid his works wages, dinner every day,and a mega rider [?] ticket for each week,he woud have done it even if it came without all that stuff as he is a nosy sod and likes any excuse to be around people to yap about the weather with them.

the UK jury duty anyway allows people with mental conditions to be exempt but its just a case of...stating their case, it also stops loads of lazy asses from refusing to do it as only those who genuinely cant do it are not used.

woud personaly love to be able to contribute to justice in some way but besides being under two power of attorneys [unable to be on electoral roll] jury duty has so many barriers for self it woud be impossible to support.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 3:04 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm having loads of anxiety being called on jury duty too. I don't really know what you have to do exactly, but if it involves speaking up in front of lots of people, then I'm screwed. I clam up and go all red, and just cannot do it. And it's not about missing body language or some other social cue because some criminals can be extremely good at covering themselves up and making themselves look innocent. I get anxiety more so on not ''getting'' the story properly, due to getting distracted or not understanding or whatever.

I could NOT do it.

I'm not exactly sure how juries work in the UK. But if they are at all similar to US juries, you wouldn't have to worry about speaking much in front of a lot of people. You would need to be able to answer questions though (mostly yes, no, guilty, not guilty type), take an oath, and be able to discuss the case with other jurors.

If you are called, it would probably be best for you to request to be excused for mental reasons.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 10:45 pm

Pretty sure we dont have that here in Denmark. At least ive never heard of it..

Would of course decline such a think.

It would be a f*****g nightmare, stuck in a room with some other people for how many days 2-3 as long as it takes.