Could this mean I have asperger syndrome?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

momentsforeverfaded
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jul 2013, 8:13 am

when I was 9 years old, I measured my entire house, then made a map of it in a proportional scale.
when I was 10 years old, I believed with all my heart that I would build a city, and I passed hours drawing the statues that would be at the city.
when I was 13 I would spend hours and hours in front of the computer, decoding html codes and making up layouts.

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2013, 8:27 am

From age 10 through most of my teen years, I could spend hours looking for four-leaf clovers in an open field, neglecting opportunities to socialize to do so, and I still sometimes like to do a little four-leaf-clover hunting today. And I'm just a quirky NT.

Special interests are only one feature of an autism spectrum condition. To be autistic you would also have to have a certain measure of other symptoms, like communication issues (which I actually did have as a kid, though probably to a lesser degree than most autistic people), difficulties with cognitive empathy or mind-reading (or at least the appearance of such difficulties if tested in a standard way that would be easy for NTs to figure out), sensory processing issues (see the thread with videos about what life/walking down the street feels/sounds/looks like when you're autistic), and repetitive behaviors and difficulties with change.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 8:32 am

Maybe, maybe not. None of us is an appropriately-trained mental-health professional; and even if one of us were, he or she would require an in-person interview (perhaps several) before an accurate diagnosis could be made.