A social butterfly but anti-social at work?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

1perCentury
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2013, 8:11 pm

It's a pattern I've yet to break. When I'm not at work, because of my improvement in social skills I can easily converse with people and get on a first name basis with someone during a 7 minute bus ride, and people in general quickly like me.

It's another ballgame at work. People respect me not only for my hard work but I am typically a very upbeat personality on the job. People love me there and I feel really popular. But at the same time it gets me down because I still feel like I have trouble connecting on a personal level. Customers and everyone in the store in general love my sunny disposition and I am very social, but its different with my coworkers. I can hold a conversation when people want to talk to me, which happens a lot, but I feel like I struggle because when I'm on the clock I am in full work mode, and am like a machine. I put so much focus on my work, and because of this and that I move at a blazing speed and an all around the store like the Tazmanian Devil, I don't let them keep up with me. I love not having to think because I'm not able to. I don't slow down for anything. I can hold a conversation well enough and reciprocate interest in what they have to say, but when the chance comes along to really get to know people past the initial small talk, it feels like there's a mental block.

I know its because I am strictly there to work and not make friends. I have a great work ethic but there are some people who my intuition tells me are drama free and interesting people I want to get to know, and I don't have the motivation and I simply forget how to do it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 9:42 pm

a dumb question on my part but why not tell these special people what you just told us?