Study shows Aspergers and Autism different.

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mack27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2013, 12:19 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
Mike1 wrote:
I don't get how this is revolutionary.

This is the first potentially definitive test for AS rather than assessment, which is subjective to the person who does the evaluation. If further studies prove the correlation then this will be a major step forward in understanding the "hows and whys" when someone is affected, understanding brain function in general, and should also help to identify causes of the condition through cross referencing.

I agree. It's a very exciting time in that we actually seem to be making progress towards non-subjective physiological testing for ASD and AS. EEG tests and the recent news about the different studies into blood tests could lead to much more accurate diagnoses. This could be life-changing for a lot of people.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2013, 7:45 am

Mack27 wrote:
neilson_wheels wrote:
Mike1 wrote:
I don't get how this is revolutionary.

This is the first potentially definitive test for AS rather than assessment, which is subjective to the person who does the evaluation. If further studies prove the correlation then this will be a major step forward in understanding the "hows and whys" when someone is affected, understanding brain function in general, and should also help to identify causes of the condition through cross referencing.

I agree. It's a very exciting time in that we actually seem to be making progress towards non-subjective physiological testing for ASD and AS. EEG tests and the recent news about the different studies into blood tests could lead to much more accurate diagnoses. This could be life-changing for a lot of people.

I completely agree. This news excites me much more than arbitrary (and often changing) DSM symptom clusters. The source of all of what we do comes directly from the brain, not theories and constructs. Whether we call it Asperger or whatever, it's plain to me my brain processes some things very differently from a large segment of the population, and I would like to know more about why, and the same applies to the behavior I see from others - what is it exactly that makes us different? Huge step in the right direction here.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 6:29 pm

Meh. It's only one study. Get back to me when several other studies come up with the same hypothesis.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 6:49 pm

DarkRain wrote:
Meh. It's only one study. Get back to me when several other studies come up with the same hypothesis.

There you go, being logical again;

ruveyn