Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 9:47 pm

Wow, benh72 you put that so well!
There IS more to it than people just knowing, visually there would be a constant reminder of the challenges and the dramatic successes of doing even better than NTs.

I'm so glad you joined benh72. I love reading your stuff except it leaves me nothing to write except: Ditto.
Which is kinda boring...

but anyway
Ditto.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 9:55 pm

<--- Ditto. Invisible aspie.

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2013, 10:57 pm

neurotypicals are the most rude people ever... walk into a room with a computer and a livestream going.... watching someone... somebody will freak out and treat you like s**t.... f**k THE NEUROTYPICALS...

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Musicgirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 11:10 pm

Not all neurotypicals. Trust me. Some NTs are very geniune and kind. You just haven't met the NTs that are. They say that sincerity is hard to find, but they are out there. It might not be that they are rude, they just probably do not understand because they don't know what it is like to have an ASD.

Musicgirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 11:17 pm

Willard wrote:
anotherswede wrote:
I could not agree less.

Being able to live a life able to pass in society without having my stigma show is something I value greatly.

But it does show - it just doesn't appear serious enough to be a legitimate handicap in the eyes of neurotypical humans who cannot fathom what it actually feels like. No Aspie is ever passing for 100% normal. Anyone who is around me for more than a few hours can see I'm not like everyone else. They just can't see that I'm having to struggle to pretend I'm almost like everyone else.

I do agree we do all show sometimes. Some people are just more accepting than others. For me, how "normal" I act also depends on who I am around and how many people are around.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 1:33 am

True.

I wish having Aspergers would cause people to grow prehensile tails.

Not only would having a prehensile tail come in handy, it would make AS more visible.

:monkey:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

amaris74
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2013, 12:59 pm

What don't I hate about Asperger's? Maybe if I'd known about it earlier in my life, I could've got some help with it. Instead I just had to try to get through life on my own, wondering why things that seemed so easy for other people (dating, learning to drive, holding down a job, living on my own, etc) were so damned hard for me. None of my siblings exhibit any ASD symptoms and I sometimes have to force myself not to feel jealous about how different their lives are from mine.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 1:37 pm

sharkattack wrote:
It's invisible other people can not see it.

Normal people are normal classic Autism is disabled enough for people to give them a bit of space.

I work and I pass for normal 99% of the time.

No friends I don't drive and still live with parents.

Tomorrow I will go into work and get on with things I guess I just wanted to know if other people with Aspergers or high functioning autism felt like this too?

its an assumption to assume those of us with classic autism are clearly visible as such, only those who understand autism know we are autistic, everyone else has assumptions of us to.
have personaly been called everything from severely mentaly ill,to being on coke or speed,to being drunk-all by our local police when have ran off and ended up being restrained by them,it was only when they were doing a body search and they realised was wearing a nappy that LD came in their heads,not all cops are bad but those ones didnt have a fking clue.

yes we are visibly different,in the UK we cant go anywhere without being given a wide berth whilst stared at wide eyed, and mocked by others who think theyre better, we are treated like toddlers and never given basic respect and dignity,we are vomit inducingly patronised-being patted/stroked on the head by strangers is common, never having people speak to us-we are spoken around to our support staff even though we arent bloody deaf.

people always think the low functioning side of the spectrum has got it better in that respect,woud personaly rather be treated as an equal human being and not given the same respect and manner they deal with a young toddler,any day.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 5:41 pm

DizzleJWizzle wrote:
neurotypicals are the most rude people ever... walk into a room with a computer and a livestream going.... watching someone... somebody will freak out and treat you like sh**.... f**k THE NEUROTYPICALS...

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Nt's are just as diverse and unique as we are. You can't judge them all unless you have met and interacted with all of them. Some Aspies are very mean too. If you are a mean person you are one whether you are Aspie or NT. We are all individuals and we all have a past that has made us into who we are. I know some NT's who are the most loving, kind, gentle, compassionate, understanding people you could ever meet.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 5:46 pm

Quote:
For me, how "normal" I act also depends on who I am around and how many people are around.
Me too. Not having known I was Aspie until just this past year, I spent my entire life having to "fit in." There were times when I was even disciplined for Aspie of Misophonic behavior since no one knew what it was. So I learned how to hide some of my Aspie traits. Now I can usually only let them out fully when I am around people that I absolutely trust completely in the core of my being. Some things are impossible for me to hide but others I can. But for me how "normal" I look around people is a matter of how much I trust them.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 10:29 pm

I wish I had a prehensile tail.

Kylyssa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Aug 2013, 10:49 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
True.

I wish having Aspergers would cause people to grow prehensile tails.

Not only would having a prehensile tail come in handy, it would make AS more visible.

:monkey:

Yeah, but... pants. Clothes are uncomfortable enough as it is. But prehensile tails are cool. I raised a baby opossum years ago and its tail was amazing.

Kylyssa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Aug 2013, 10:52 pm

What I hate most about Aspergers is that the majority of NTs don't believe it exists and a fair number of those who do think it's either a mental illness or retardation.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 12:21 pm

What I most hate about having Asperger's is:-

1/ Whenever there's a mass shooting all over the world news, it somehow gets assumed by media on the internet that the shooter has Asperger's Syndrome, which gives people on the spectrum a bad name and a better reason to feel ashamed of it and want to deny it to people (even though I know I would never kill anyone).

2/ When you're out in public you get the same treatment equivalent to a person with noticeably physical deformities would, so even though you physically look normal, you still can't thank your lucky stars that you are healthy and physically normal and able-bodied (if you are, that is). I have experienced people sniggering at me or staring at me so many times that I have become extremely self-conscious.

3/ Sensory issues is basically like having inflamed ears, which does affect your life unless you stick earplugs in your ears the rest of your life. And in NT society, being caught wearing earphones or earplugs will land you plenty of ridicule, unless in some environments (I have been told you're ''allowed'' to have noise-cancellation tools when on a plane or doing work involving using loud drills).

4/ Getting unintentionally fixated on to a particular anxiety that grows into a huge issue in your life, and can make you out to be dependent, possessive, demanding or selfish.

5/ Always having NTs getting the upper hand in whatever situation. The Aspie always has to respect NTs feelings, but NTs can get away with not showing or feeling any consideration for Aspies feelings. I know this is generalizing a little too much, but it does sometimes feel that way. Like how come people with ASDs get called weird or stupid to their face at some point in their lives by NTs, but people with ASDs are always strictly taught to never say out their honest opinion of noticeable quirks about an NT?

6/ Having obsessions that make me out to look like a stalker. I get obsessions with particular people, so you can see what I mean by looking like a stalker when I'm not stalking, I just want to find out more because it makes me feel happy and less isolated. But most NTs would not understand that (see number 5).

And there are plenty more things I hate about having this s**t, but those are just 6 of them I thought I'd share.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 12:42 pm

What I most hate about Aspergers: Having to deal with people when it's difficult for me to read their moods and intentions. This is especially true at work.

adamlindsaspiefan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2013, 6:20 pm

Hi everyone I am heather Frederick and I have been diagnosed with autism aspergers syndrome let me list for u the difficulties of this disorder for me

1. The sensory issues the noise level is too loud in life and it all overwhelms me whether its a car motor people laughing screaming loud dog barking ,crowds malls
2. Paranoid thinking and aggressive outbursts when people stare at me or walk into me !