Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 12:21 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
I do agree that SCD has weak evidence for its "existance". To me, its sorta comparible to a PDDNOS diagnosis.

I disagree. My son has PDDNOS. I do believe PDDNOS had much more validity as an autism spectrum diagnosis than SCD has any current validity anywhere. My son was recategorized as ASD, not SCD.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 11:59 am

I would rather have Social Communication Disorder as a label, rather than having a label named after the bloke that discovered it. It's easier to tell people, because the name ''Social Communication Disorder'' kind of explains itself, so you've only got to do a little explaining on how it affects you.

When saying I have ''Asperger's Syndrome'' to someone who has never heard of it or doesn't know anybody with AS or Autism, makes it more harder to explain. If somebody has heard of Autism but has never met a person with Autism, they just think of the stereotypes, and so immediately assume that I'm going to start curling up in a ball on the floor rocking backwards and forwards because the lights are too bright or something stupid like that.

I don't want people rushing around making adjustments everywhere for me and treating me gingerly. I just want to be treated like everyone else like I don't have AS or anything, but them being aware so if I do say or do something weird, they won't go thinking I'm weird.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 12:54 pm

It's just a fact that 30 years ago most of us at WP wouldn't be dx with an autistic spectrum disorder, because just the more severe cases got dx back that. Since than the spectrum got wider and wider, so that also ppl on the milder and very mild end of the autistic spectrum got a diagnosis. I'm not sure if it makes sence to me to group everyone with developmental delay and social communication issues under an autism lable. It's a matter of deffinition I guess.

But when I look at my childhood, I was diagnosed with dyslexia, developmental delay (especially speech delay) and various sensorty issues ( mainly auditory onces). So it sounds a bit complex, but back than that seems totally logic and actually explains all my mainsymptoms. Then I was diagnosed with autism (first Asperger's and then I got rediagnosed very fast with HFA), what explained a lot and I still think I kind of fit in there, but even nowadays, I'm on the very mild end of the autism spectrum, because my social issues are just minor. So I kind of understood the reason with diagnosing me with autism several years ago, but my new psychiatrist who also knows about my issues actually removed my autism diagnosis, because he thinks that my autistic symptoms are in the subclinical range and that my mainissues are somewere else. So I understand that, but still think there would be a need to diagnose my sensory issues for example. But the autism lable is kind of package, either you are supposed to have all of it, or non of it what doesn't make a lot of sence to me, eventhough when we all know there is a fluent spectrum between ASD and SCD in that case.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 11:46 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijeOEalGPfQ[/youtube]