Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 11:18 am

I'm still trying to build a case for me having a spectrum disorder or not. My psychatrist is not interested in diagnosing AS because I have a severe mental illness. But someone on here told me AS could affect my medications. Does it happen to make you more sensitive to side effects? For me, it seems that I always get the rare side effects but at the same time I need to be on high doses for the medicine to work. In particular I get movement problems.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 11:49 am

Everyone reacts differently to medication whether they are on the spectrum or not.
From my own experiences, conversations I have had on WP and other things that I have read, I feel that some, not all, people with AS are more sensitive to medication, the dose and can react differently to what is expected.
This can be true for both desired effects and side effects.
Hope that helps, this is my personal opinion only.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 11:55 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
Everyone reacts differently to medication whether they are on the spectrum or not.
From my own experiences, conversations I have had on WP and other things that I have read, I feel that some, not all, people with AS are more sensitive to medication, the dose and can react differently to what is expected.
This can be true for both desired effects and side effects.
Hope that helps, this is my personal opinion only.

Agree^ with that.
It's a trial-and-error enterprise, for each individual with each medication.

One example: A starting dose of Luvox is supposedly 50 mg.
My shrink started me on 25 mg. (for 3 or 4 weeks) & I already felt worse from it,
when she had me increase it up to 50 mg. (for 1 or 2 weeks) I was a wreck.

I was exhausted all the time, couldn't wake up, felt no joy or enthusiasm or interest in anything.
I told her I was not going to keep taking this stuff, it made me want to stop living, that's how bad it was for me.
She agreed & took me off it, and within a week or so I felt better.
She was surprised-but she believed me-that what she considered a "normal/standard" low dose was way too high for me.

Go figure, the anti-depressant depressed the (bleep) out of me !
Thank goodness I'm done with that med. (am trying others instead)

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 1:14 pm

I even had one medicine make it hard for me to speak!! ! The hospital was confused until they gave me a med called cogentin and when it helped it proved I was having a side effect.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2013, 1:19 pm

Drugs today are not tested very good. This is my opinion.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 1:25 pm

What is your psychiatrist's general opinion on AS, do you know?

Is AS just seen as less affecting than your mental illness?

I feel this person should be willing to do some extensive research or consult with others who have a better understanding of the scale of reactions, otherwise I am lost for any suggestions.

I think most health professionals work on treating the most serious condition first and see adverse reactions as an acceptable consequence. In other words, if the benefit is larger than the deficit then the treatment is considered to be working.