Which of these following cases is rape?

Page 5 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 4:31 pm

nick007 wrote:
If it is rape on the bases of the rapee was intoxicated so he/she could not cosent; the same rules should apply when the rapist was intoxicated & he/she should be deemed incapible of making the informed judgement sense the rapee cant when he/she is intoxicated. I cant grasp how it's not a double standard if the same rules don't apply equally to the rapist & rapee.

Here is why it's not a double standard.

If the rape occurred because the victim was barely mobile or passed out a rapist in the same position would be physically unable to rape.

Being drunk does not give you a free pass to commit crimes but it doesn't stop you from being a victim of a crime either.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Aug 2013, 4:45 pm

hanyo wrote:
nick007 wrote:
If it is rape on the bases of the rapee was intoxicated so he/she could not cosent; the same rules should apply when the rapist was intoxicated & he/she should be deemed incapible of making the informed judgement sense the rapee cant when he/she is intoxicated. I cant grasp how it's not a double standard if the same rules don't apply equally to the rapist & rapee.

If the rape occurred because the victim was barely mobile or passed out a rapist in the same position would be physically unable to rape.

Being drunk does not give you a free pass to commit crimes but it doesn't stop you from being a victim of a crime either.
I get what your saying bur for my analogy I'm saying they were equally drunk so neither was barely mobile. I think when the OP asked the questions he was thinking along the lines of same level of drunkenness for each senareo but I may be wrong.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 7:00 pm

appletheclown wrote:
Tequila wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
If are able to consent to getting drunk, your choices and situations are yours to deal with.

To a point, but if someone is that intoxicated that they don't know what they are doing, they are not able to consent to anything. Same as being asleep.

The point is, if your can't control your self, don't start drinking at all, that is why people need to be held accountable. You're saying (Hypothetical) it wasn't my fault I got drunk, and got some woman pregnant? It is still my child! I don't have to be like any other lousy man and walk away from that type of ordeal. I'd raise the kid myself if I had to. (hypothetical) Obviously this is useless trying to explain, and a pointless effort as well.

I think that what you're saying makes a lot of sense, actually.
It is perhaps written in a slightly confusing way, but what you are saying still makes a lot of sense I reckon.

I think you're saying something similar to what I was, maybe (although I didn't explain it very well) ... in that that there really should be some means of preventing people from drinking so much alcohol that they become unable to have sentient thought ; or to control their ability to function as a coherent human being.... and that people ought to be held accountable for their actions whether they have chosen to be under the influence of some sort of drug (such as alcohol) or not.... since it's entirely their own choice whether to take such mind-altering substance, in the first place.

Perhaps a law against it would be totally un-enforcable.... but perhaps there should be some kind of heavy social stigma against getting into such a state in public ?

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 1:38 am

hanyo wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Indeed. Those two things combined mean that a fair interpretation of "drunk enough to be unable to give consent" (which is highly subjective) is "drunk enough to be physically unable to rape someone" (which is much easier to judge). A lower threshold of "drunk enough" would be a double standard.