Why Can't People Leave Religious People Alone?

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 2:02 am

Knock knock.

Hi sorry to bother you at 8:00 on this beautiful Saturday morning. I'm an atheist. Can I talk to you about Atheism?

Oops, atheists don't do that do they?

Here is an idea. Keep your crappy religion to yourself, and maybe people will leave you alone. :thumright:

Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 2:19 am

Max000 wrote:
Knock knock.

Hi sorry to bother you at 8:00 on this beautiful Saturday morning. I'm an atheist. Can I talk to you about Atheism?

Here is an idea. Keep your crappy religion to yourself, and maybe people will leave you alone. :thumright:

Knock knock Image

Was not spoken of the soul.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2013, 4:18 am

91 wrote:
Max000 wrote:
Knock knock.

Knock knock Image

Sorry, are you suggesting that atheism can lead to highly oppressive murderous political regimes?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 7:34 am

fibonaccispiral777 wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
Generally speaking, a religious person does not owe it to a non-religious person to justify their views. Personally, I find pseudointellectual internet atheists far more annoying than muslim fundamentalists.

Could you please clarify what you mean by pseudointellectual? I personally hate that word and do not understand what it means. On what basis can you decide who is an intellectual and who is pseudo-intellectual? Please give me an example of how that manifests in atheism. Oh come on! You find atheists more annoying that Muslim fundamentalists who believe in a literal holy war, the killing of people who abandon their religious and stoning women to death for committing adultery. I don't understand the logic there. I find it baffling.

The term pseudointellectual does get thrown around a lot and rarely defined. I have long been bothered by it too for this reason. I googled around a bit to see if I could find some sort of consensus of what people mean when they say pseudointellectual. Google showed me that most people just toss the word around without thinking through what they actually mean by it beyond "I disagree a whole lot and you sure are wordy".

However, there are some people who bothered to parse this out. Amongst the people who have bothered to think it through, there seems to be this rough consensus:

intellectual: somebody who is interested in the truth of a matter and uses intellect as a tool to explore that matter

pseudointellectual: somebody who is interested in being percieved as right and uses intellect as a tool to persuade others

By this measure, some atheists would be intellectuals and others would be pseudointellectuals. But the mere fact of being an atheist participating on an internet thread with religious people would not make somebody a pseudointellectual rather than an intellectual.

I suppose I could say I find atheist pseudointellectuals (as opposed to actual athiest intellectuals) more annoying than muslim fundamentalists insofar as I find muslim fundamentalists terrifying, which is a totally different feeling from mere annoyance.

By now the whole thread has moved on but I am a word nerd and always get caught up in side topics that involve semantic differences in words.

Guess I should read the rest of the thread.

Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 7:59 am

Sorry, are you suggesting that atheism can lead to highly oppressive murderous political regimes?

Not necessarily but certainly atheist in positions of power have used state power to attack religion and kill religious people.

Was not spoken of the soul.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 6:09 pm

91 wrote:

Not necessarily but certainly atheist in positions of power have used state power to attack religion and kill religious people.

So have people with beards.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 2:27 am

AspE wrote:
91 wrote:

So have people with beards.

Nice

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx