Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 10:02 am

I did, I set up a Lord Voldemort account and I got 5 messages. But the account was shut down

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 11:27 am

OK Cupid? I don't know about that but there's a site that's just called Cupid. It may come up in your search results when you Google for OK Cupid. Don't sign up for it, it's a scam site.

Anyway the only sites I've gotten actual dates from are Oasis and Geek2Geek.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 11:49 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
OK Cupid? I don't know about that but there's a site that's just called Cupid. It may come up in your search results when you Google for OK Cupid. Don't sign up for it, it's a scam site.

yes there was a news report on dating paysites using fake accounts to get people to buy subscriptions. one of them was "cupid". the site this thread is about is "okcupid". they are 2 completely different websites.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 12:35 pm

Okcupid and pof are probably the only non-scam dating sites.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 8:35 pm

Anyone who can reach critical mass on a paid dating site is going to get rich.

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2013, 6:49 pm

The way OkCupid, Plenty of Fish (PoF), and other free dating websites ( http://www.alldatingwebsites.com/dir/free-datingsites/ ) make money is through advertising. They take the information you provide them about yourself, and pass it along to third party marketing and advertising firms. All of the information you provide them. In OkCupid's case, this includes your answers to those (often quite personal) questions (see http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconside ... any-access ).

Also, a few months ago I saw a programme about online dating. Among other things, they found basic security flaws in many of the websites. Upon being informed of these security problems, some of the website operators said they would investigate and fix the flaws, but OkCupid and PoF did not even bother to respond.

Last edited by Logan5 on 13 Oct 2013, 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 7:11 pm

I have an account, but almost never check it. I did recently update it (within the last 3 months) when I moved and re-worked the profile itself since it was 2 years old. I'm not really serious about dating right now, though, and apparently saying you're interested in friendships means "I want meaningless sex", which isn't at all true... so it's pretty useless to me ATM.

ALguy1957
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2013, 12:40 am

I use it but never got a date off of it yet. Seems like all the women on that site in my area make religion a condition for any partner and I'm not religious. I had much better luck with POF and datehookup. DH has a lot of forums too (even a disability forum) I even managed a date with a BBW from a forum post about large women. :)

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 3:14 am

I'm about to give up on it again. 99% of the women it matches me with are either not remotely attractive to me, not close enough, possessing a major turn-off, never online or not interested in me. Feels pointles when the few I at least find attractive end up requiring a car, my own place, a large salary ( I'm on disability ) and/or religion...many smoke, do drugs, have dogs ( terrified to a point where phobia barely covers it ), are bigots, are really outdoorsy, or don't say anything in their profile I can work with. The few times I have messaged somebody I never hear back...and the few messages I get are either sketchy or from women that simply aren't my type ( or on my first attempt at OKC, asking me about my Asperger's or offering some encouragement ). I am disturbed beyond belief that they tried to match me with my cousin too...though finding a bisexual friend ( I never knew she was bi ) on there was funny, especially after another friend creaped her out so she blocked all straight men from finding her lol

besides, the only woman I even really want to be with is my best friend...and I doubt that's ever going to happen :(

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 3:28 am

^ Sounds like a good idea.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 10:27 am

Two of my three ex-boyfriends I met on there, both turned out to be creeps. One used me for sex (and i think he may have been lying about being divorced. ) and the other used me in every sense imaginable and emotionally abused me.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 11:42 am

Mike_the_EE wrote:
I've been on OKC for just a few weeks (Chronoping if anyone is interested) with very little luck, but I continue to try. Heard of a couple of Aspie centered sites that I need to check out.

Are any of those free? I checked out one, Aspie connect I think, but they wanted money, money is very limited for me.

TreeShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2013, 11:50 am

I had a profile there for a couple of months, but then I decided to delete it. I had a couple of interesting conversations with people, but my problem is that I can't seem to make that jump from digital to real life. I have had internet friends before, but have never met any of them in real life, partially because of the distance involved and partially because the thought scares me. The whole thing just sounds so awkward and uncomfortable, even if I have talked to them a long time and like them. When they figure out they probably won't meet me, the conversations just trail off.

I also found I was too picky. I wanted to send messages to people but despite having many profiles in my area, I didn't really find anyone that interested me enough for me to initiate contact.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

07 Nov 2013, 12:01 pm

Going to try it again. Hopefully, with better results! :)

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Mike_the_EE
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2013, 10:56 pm

Halfmadgenius wrote:
Mike_the_EE wrote:
I've been on OKC for just a few weeks (Chronoping if anyone is interested) with very little luck, but I continue to try. Heard of a couple of Aspie centered sites that I need to check out.

Are any of those free? I checked out one, Aspie connect I think, but they wanted money, money is very limited for me.

Sorry, I've not been on WP for a while. Anyway, I never got around to checking them out and I don't have the URLs any more. I found who I was looking for on OKC so I didn't need them.

Aspie Score 141 of 200
NT Score 50 of 200

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 11:00 pm

Yeah. Got a few first dates, that is about it.