Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 5:16 am

Dox47 wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I haven't had much luck finding anyone interested in anything more than a meaningless hookup. Most of the messages I get are from men that say only "hay qtie pie! u sexay,lol" or some variation thereof, which proves they didn't bother reading my profile. I answered that "You should message me if:" section with "You have something more to say than 'hi'."

Ahh. I alternate between being embarrassed by other members of my gender and being grateful that their bad behavior makes things like using proper spelling and punctuation and not leading with dick pics "stand out" features. I'm a glass half full kind of guy. :lol:

Definitely one way to look at it. :lol:

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 5:18 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
I know lost's idea about simply not putting info in your profile so you can be more agreeable doesn't sound sincere, but he's at least being honest about it. I've busted 2 of my friends now for doing this.. They've barely filled their profiles in other than to say they work, they do exercise and have a place. They then message girls and say they like the same things -_-.... and you know what's the worst bit??? It works. Honesty, however much we Aspies value it doesn't seem to pay off.

A lot of guys simply don't answer the questions because the more you answer the less chances you have. It's actually counter productive in many ways because while we are more accepting of alternate views, it doesn't work the other way round. Yes it will match you with more people but those people will turn you away over the most petty things like if you were okay with dating x and x people (even if that means they would date them!). or what kind of popcorn they eat etc. on top of that, if a girl answers a lot of questions it's cute and us guys will read them..if a guy answers too many questions it's seen as us having too much time on our hands.

My personal advice to guys about these stupid survey questions? DON'T answer ANY of them! Instead, find a girl that fits you best in terms of of those questions and initiate contact with her. If those things come up at least you won't have to lie about them in order to stay on good terms. If you really must answer questions, make them all irrelevant and goofy ones. Girls, if you find you are not getting any hits and you've answered a lot of questions? Same thing. Guys might assume you're very picky , and likely to reject them over the slightest thing, even though all you're doing is what everyone else is doing which is answering the questions normally. The male ego is easier to bruise than we make out.

Well, that's my 2 cents! :lol:

8O

I had no idea those questions were seen as anything more than arbitrary compatibility numbering. I've never even bothered looking at them when checking someone's profile out.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 5:18 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
leafplant wrote:
JanuaryMan wrote:
The irony of many who call themself liberals is that when it comes to accepting other opinions or being open minded they are not a liberal person.
What that person did was rather ignorant, and unnecessary. All they had to do was not respond. Then again, I personally would have told them they can find out more about me in person as your profile is long enough ;)

you think ignoring someone is an acceptable behaviour? As in, you are IMing happily back and forth, then a question comes up, you answer it and never hear from them again. You think that's better?

I personally prefer a "no, not interested" response and a brief why if possible, ignoraning is the peak of direspect in my opinion. The least sign of respect for another human being is acknowledging his/her existence.
The digital generation seems have developed a new sense that it's ok to ignore someone to his face.

Like when you send a message/questions to someone on okc, he checks your profile (it does notify you) but completely ignore your reasonable message - that's equal to ignoring you to your face. It's exactly like he passed by you and ghosted you even after talking to him.
I am excluding the harassment cases of course.

That's why I always describe women on dating sites as employers - adopting the "only short listed would be contacted" policy, and hey... a lot of employers don't view employees as humans, go figure. :lol:

I like it how (based on observation) culturally-Asian girls always respond even if it's a no, that's something it distincts them from others.

lol fair enough. I just thought it was funny I was being chastised for suggesting the woman should have done what she and countless others already do, which is ignore the message. It seems hypocritical.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 5:32 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
I know lost's idea about simply not putting info in your profile so you can be more agreeable doesn't sound sincere, but he's at least being honest about it. I've busted 2 of my friends now for doing this.. They've barely filled their profiles in other than to say they work, they do exercise and have a place. They then message girls and say they like the same things -_-.... and you know what's the worst bit??? It works. Honesty, however much we Aspies value it doesn't seem to pay off.

I would say it depends on what you're interested in; like I told Lost, lying might work short term and get you laid a couple of times, but it will bite you in the ass big time if you're trying for something more serious. When I'm looking at someone's profile, I actually skip over the barely filled in ones, both because I can't really get interested in someone I know nothing about, and because that's sometimes the sign of a scammer or dummy account.

JanuaryMan wrote:
A lot of guys simply don't answer the questions because the more you answer the less chances you have. It's actually counter productive in many ways because while we are more accepting of alternate views, it doesn't work the other way round. Yes it will match you with more people but those people will turn you away over the most petty things like if you were okay with dating x and x people (even if that means they would date them!). or what kind of popcorn they eat etc. on top of that, if a girl answers a lot of questions it's cute and us guys will read them..if a guy answers too many questions it's seen as us having too much time on our hands.

I'm not so sure of that, having answered a lot of questions never seems to have hurt me, and since the only way you can see other people's answers is to have answered the question yourself, you put yourself in the dark by answering minimally. You can of course answer privately, I certainly have a few that I've answered for the match percentages but hidden because I don't want someone to make a snap judgment, but I think relative transparency is good. My thoughts tend to go "well someone might reject me based on that answer, but would I be interested in someone who would consider that a dealbreaker?". Even the political stuff I talk about keeping on the DL is there in my questions for anyone who knows how to look, but most people don't.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 5:54 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I had no idea those questions were seen as anything more than arbitrary compatibility numbering. I've never even bothered looking at them when checking someone's profile out.

It seems a lot of people don't, but like I mentioned in my OP, if you know how to look, you can often tell a lot about people that isn't listed in their profile. The really fun one is to use the "important to them" sort function, which shows you which questions the other person rated as the most important (obviously); STDs, drug use, and weird kinks often pop out that way, or what a lot of people do is construct a "filter" out of some of the science and logic ones to sort out dumb people, or tolerance ones to sort out racists and homophobes. I question the efficacy of this, as between Google and common sense it's pretty easy to avoid the land mines most people use. I enjoy the detective work aspect, but I suspect I'm weird that way.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 5:57 am

My personal advice to guys is to meet girls in real life while they can, nothing really works on okc unless you're the hottest dog. Answering or not answering some questions make very little difference.

btw JM, a date isn't success, I got a lot of dates out of okc but they aren't success in my dictionary. A date is a requirement for success (I assume relationship in your case) but it is not by itself.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 6:03 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
btw JM, a date isn't success, I got a lot of dates out of okc but they aren't success in my dictionary. A date is a requirement for success (I assume relationship in your case) but it is not by itself.

Agreed, man. Perhaps I could have worded that better. I've been on dates and they rarely are successful unless I know the girl already. It gets tiring to constantly proofread what I say, though, to avoid corrections.
As for OKC. I'm going to message 2 or 3 more girls this evening and if I don't get any responses by the weekend I'll leave it for good.
I saw a profile of a visitor today..she is "curvy" and looks big, yet she wants a guy that's athletic. She doesn't do much with her life, yet wants the guy to be doing a lot.
I think some people don't look in the mirror when they demand things on this site. It's very offputting.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 6:42 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
That's why I always describe women on dating sites as employers - adopting the "only short listed would be contacted" policy, and hey... a lot of employers don't view employees as humans, go figure. :lol:

Always, eh? Sounds like my idea of dates being interviews. :P

I've only ignored someone if they were blatently lying about themselves, or if they completed ignored my message at the top about not being long distance. Otherwise I told them why.

Last edited by smudge on 16 Oct 2013, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 7:09 am

Dox47 wrote:
Also, did you miss the fact that I named the "gay son effect" specifically for homophobes?

Your instance was for a anti-gay person to find someone close to them being gay and accepting it. I was asking if the other way around would also work. An anti-homophobe person finding someone they were getting along turned out to be a homophobe.
Personally, I would not go out with a homophobe. Would you?

Yuzu wrote:
I used to put in "message me if section", "if you are a liberal. And if you own a gun, we would not get along".
Now I don't have anything but maybe I should put it back in.

Dox47 wrote:
You wouldn't get along with Martin Luther King? He packed heat. So did ultra liberal Dennis Kucinich, and even anti-gun Senator Dianne Feinstein used to carry, until the gun rights people pointed out the hypocrisy there, plenty of other liberals too. What exactly does someone's ownership of a gun tell you about them and whether you'd get along? By the same token, what does someone's lack of liberalism tell you about their personality?

Oh boy. I was talking about in the context of finding a suitable partner on a dating site. And if someone has a lifestyle that requires them to carry a gun everyday, I would not go out with them. Even if they were liberal.
I don't like to argue about politics with my partner so why would I go out with someone who doesn't share the same views?
Interacting with people exhausts me a lot and I'd rather be alone than to be with someone whose political beliefs I don't agree with. You get off on arguing with women so it works for you. Not for me.

Last edited by Yuzu on 16 Oct 2013, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 12:36 pm

Dox47 wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

It seems a lot of people don't, but like I mentioned in my OP, if you know how to look, you can often tell a lot about people that isn't listed in their profile. The really fun one is to use the "important to them" sort function, which shows you which questions the other person rated as the most important (obviously); STDs, drug use, and weird kinks often pop out that way, or what a lot of people do is construct a "filter" out of some of the science and logic ones to sort out dumb people, or tolerance ones to sort out racists and homophobes. I question the efficacy of this, as between Google and common sense it's pretty easy to avoid the land mines most people use. I enjoy the detective work aspect, but I suspect I'm weird that way.

Personally, I just read their profile and if no red flags came up I responded. (providing me being in the mood to bother trying, that is) I prefer to get to know the person rather than nit-pick answers. As long as they could spell passably and the profile wasn't hostile towards any group, I was good to go.

Didn't yield much, but I think my failure with OKCupid is largely my own fault. I haven't exactly taken it seriously as I cannot bring myself to take any sort of relationship building seriously when it's not organic.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2013, 12:03 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

Ooh the questions are the best part of the site! One of the main things that separates OkC from other sites. If someone doesn't match with me 99% and there's an enemy % above zero, I know there are some things that may possibly make us incompatible. So I go straight in there and click on "unacceptable answer" or whatever it's called, and check them out. Hopefully I'll come out saying "I could deal with that" but if there are too many serious differences then I have to think about whether it's worth probably wasting each other's time.

Plus it's heaps of fun reading people's answers and explanations. :D

Oh, and they are also great for conversation topics.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 1:10 am

Yuzu wrote:
Your instance was for a anti-gay person to find someone close to them being gay and accepting it. I was asking if the other way around would also work. An anti-homophobe person finding someone they were getting along turned out to be a homophobe.

I don't see why not, if someone had a stereotypical view of a certain group and unknowingly befriended a member of said group, I could see their opinion changing; I guess I don't see the point of the question.

Yuzu wrote:
Personally, I would not go out with a homophobe. Would you?

Yep, I'd date racists, homophobes, whatever, I don't judge people solely on the basis of a single opinion they hold, and I'm pretty good at convincing people to drop their prejudices over time. I'd certainly not drop someone who seemed perfect except for holding some view that I found objectionable, I'd much rather see where things went and what kind of person they were rather than making the snap judgment.

Yuzu wrote:
Oh boy. I was talking about in the context of finding a suitable partner on a dating site.

And? What does whether or not someone owns a gun tell you about them personally?

Yuzu wrote:
And if someone has a lifestyle that requires them to carry a gun everyday, I would not go out with them. Even if they were liberal.

Why? Not even a cop or something? Doesn't that strike you as a tad irrational?

Yuzu wrote:
I don't like to argue about politics with my partner so why would I go out with someone who doesn't share the same views?

Because you're ruling out a lot of people who you might really like based on a fairly superficial criteria? Besides which, who says you have to argue with someone, you can't agree to disagree?

Yuzu wrote:
Interacting with people exhausts me a lot and I'd rather be alone than to be with someone whose political beliefs I don't agree with.

Suit yourself.

Yuzu wrote:
You get off on arguing with women so it works for you.

Do I? I don't recall having said that anywhere, so it must be something coming from you, not me. I like to argue online, and I don't mind friendly debate with people I know, but I would hardly say I "get off" on it, and I'm a little annoyed at the suggestion.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 4:42 am

Dox47 wrote:
What does whether or not someone owns a gun tell you about them personally?

This question wasn't addressed to me but I hope it's ok if I answer.

In the interest of clarity and because I believe that the context is king, I will declare that my opinion on this occasion is for your particular situation, i.e. a chap living in the US and who has said he 'carries on dates' which I take to mean that you have a gun on your person even when you are out and about having leisurely time.

Gun is I believe called a deadly weapon. It's sole purpose is to cause death. The fact that someone like you owns a gun tells me that you are not adverse to using violence. It also tells me that you are not adverse to taking lives. All of that leads me to conclude that you believe your life and your person to be very important, more so than the lives of others.
We all may be capable of accidentally causing death and harm to others, but you go through every day prepared to do so.

Now, if I was considering dating someone like you, I would have to take the above as an indication that they are not someone I would want to spend time with. (just my personal take on this issue)

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 8:11 am

Dox47 wrote:
Yuzu wrote:
You get off on arguing with women so it works for you.

Do I? I don't recall having said that anywhere, so it must be something coming from you, not me. I like to argue online, and I don't mind friendly debate with people I know, but I would hardly say I "get off" on it, and I'm a little annoyed at the suggestion.

Ok, I apologize. That was just an assumption from what you have wrote.

Dox47 wrote:
Yep, I'd date racists, homophobes, whatever, I don't judge people solely on the basis of a single opinion they hold, and I'm pretty good at convincing people to drop their prejudices over time. I'd certainly not drop someone who seemed perfect except for holding some view that I found objectionable, I'd much rather see where things went and what kind of person they were rather than making the snap judgment.

So you're dating them thinking you can change their opinions? So if you couldn't change their mind, what happens?
Or what if they were exactly like you and thinking "oh he'll change his mind about guns because I'm pretty good at convincing guys to change their opinions once they get to know me."?

Dox47 wrote:
Yuzu wrote:
Oh boy. I was talking about in the context of finding a suitable partner on a dating site.

And? What does whether or not someone owns a gun tell you about them personally?

Pretty much what leafplant said. Not just guns for me either. If I find someone I'm dating has a collection of knives or swords or other types of weapons I'd drop them. Am I judgmental and intolerant? Maybe.
And also what Schneekugel said on page 3. I don't automatically think that someone who has a gun a bad person. I have a lot of coworkers who do and I get along with them fine. But I would not date anyone thinking that I can make them change their mind if I make them like me enough. I'd rather not waste my energy on molding a prospective partner into something I want them to be. I'd think they'd be better off with someone else.

Dox47 wrote:
Yuzu wrote:
And if someone has a lifestyle that requires them to carry a gun everyday, I would not go out with them. Even if they were liberal.

Why? Not even a cop or something? Doesn't that strike you as a tad irrational?

No I would not go out with a cop if I was seeking a long term relationship. Not wanting to be in relationship where you have to worry about their safety at work is not irrational, is it?

Dox47 wrote:
Yuzu wrote:

Because you're ruling out a lot of people who you might really like based on a fairly superficial criteria? Besides which, who says you have to argue with someone, you can't agree to disagree?

Yes, I rule out a lot of people when seeking a romantic relationship. I don't mind being single so I can afford to be picky.
And I don't think my criteria is so superficial. I would agree to disagree when it comes to things that's not so important to me.
Maybe when I become desperate enough I would date someone who owns a gun. Who knows.

Edit: I just had a first date with someone I met on OKC. I really liked him but I'm not so sure what he thought of me. Hopefully the feeling is mutual♥

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 11:08 pm

Quote:
but she probably has tons of other options on OK Cupid if she is attractive so she can afford to be picky that's why she is.

This is a false assumption. Having fewer options is different from being desperate. Dildos are also an option, one that many women with few options would prefer over pursuing a bad match.

American
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2013, 6:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Aside from bumping this (I'm seeing people asking about dating sites in other threads), I wanted to mention that I recently lost my first potential date ever due to politics.

I was IMing with someone and hitting it off pretty well, we even knew a few of the same people on my little island, when she started asking me about politics. I tried to keep it light and only mention the fairly conventional aspects of my beliefs, criminal justice reform, a better voting system, social safety net stuff, etc, when she just point blank asked me about guns, which just happen to be my special interest and sometimes profession. Being honest, I said that I'd actually gone to school as a gunsmith, had worked in the industry, and wasn't particularly fond of gun control generally, which is all usually third date material for me since I don't like people making snap judgments about me, and I was proven right in this case as I immediately got hit with a flurry of anti-gun links and invective, and got dropped like a rock.

Now I've dated women who didn't like guns before, but in every case they've liked me enough to overlook the issue, and if they've spent any length of time with me they've become comfortable around them, if not enthusiastic for them (though it's surprising how many women will come around if taken to the range). I've actually seen a handful of honest to god "come to Jesus" moments when I've been out with a woman and *something* has happened around us that frightened her, and then she's realized that I'm carrying, and further realized that she's comforted by that. BUT, that requires getting past someones "filters" in the first place, which means not putting out everything about me right up front.

Learn from my mistake; don't talk politics with potential dates, only woe lies down that path! :oops:

Because politics and current are my biggest interests that I have strong opinions about and spend a lot of time thinking and learning about, I would need a woman who is also passionate about politics and in agreement with me about at least some important issues. She doesn't have to agree with me about every political or philosophical issue but she must be interested in discussing these matters, well-informed, and intelligent. By the way this reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine starts dating this tall good-looking guy who is a deliveryman for a furniture store called the Lumbar Yard (lol!). She is devastated when she asks him about abortion and finds out that he opposes Roe v. Wade so they break up.