Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 12:54 pm

[Mod. edit: two images, more suited to the Adult forum than Love and Dating, have been redacted here and from later posts quoting them.]

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 12:57 pm

That's disgusting.

I'm insulted by seeing a CRT monitor in your graphic post.

Please replace it with a TFT; I don't want any of the younger posters getting confused and disturbed.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:03 pm

[Mod. edit: two images, more suited to the Adult forum than Love and Dating, have been redacted here and from later posts quoting them.]

Nice, were to that level now? You're gonna get the thread locked man, just stop.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:05 pm

babybird wrote:
I don't think the term jerk is used too much in England.

the term is a shortened form of "jerkoff" and is mildly vulgar in its original meaning from which it has drifted. a more appropriate substitute term for today would be "Machiavellian" or "alpha."

lost561
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:07 pm

That's stupid. I wouldn't go that far.

If the 1st man is 5'8 and doesn't have abs.
&
If the 2nd man is 6'2 and has abs and has other good pictures.. Especially with other women
&
The woman is a whorebag than I see that happening.

But not with the average woman.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
babybird wrote:

the term is a shortened form of "jerkoff" and is mildly vulgar in its original meaning from which it has drifted. a more appropriate substitute term for today would be "Machiavellian" or "alpha."

I think an equivalent would be "wanker".

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
babybird wrote:

No it doesn't. Alpha is a greek number 1, why would jerk mean a greek number one? We are not wolves.

Jerk is basically a word for a***hole, or jack-arse.

If human males can be alpha's, then we'd call them alpha's.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:13 pm

Yuzu wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
babybird wrote:

I think an equivalent would be "wanker".

Wanker would be my term of choice. Or "a***hole".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:21 pm

appletheclown wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
babybird wrote:

No it doesn't. Alpha is a greek number 1, why would jerk mean a greek number one? We are not wolves. Jerk is basically a word for a***hole, or jack-arse. If human males can be alpha's, then we'd call them alpha's.

but we ARE [akin to] wolves. we are the human animal, the naked ape. jerks [present definition more akin to bully] ARE the ones in the lions' share of leadership positions, that is precisely how they got to be in those positions, by being Machiavellian and outmaneuvering folks encumbered with common decency/morals.

original meaning From Etymonline.com:

jerk (n.)
1935, "tedious and ineffectual person," Amer.Eng. carnival slang, perhaps from jerkwater town (1878), where a steam locomotive crew had to take on boiler water from a trough or a creek because there was no water tank. This led 1890s to an adj. use of jerk as "inferior, insignificant." Probably also infl. by verb jerk off, slang for "perform male masturbation" (first recorded 1916). Jerk off (n.) as an emphatic form of jerk (n.) first attested 1968.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:32 pm

The preceding cartoon has been quoted enough times but I find it implausible. I suppose whoever drew it really does like Joy Division and Radiohead (enough to know who Thom Yorke is ) but is completely wrong about why a fellow Joy Division and Radiohead fan rejected him. I find it pretty unlikely that a young woman who is a fan of an obscure intellectual band that ended (by suicide) before she was born is also attracted to illiterate men. Back in my day (which was only somewhat after the singer's 1980 suicide), Joy Division fans (myself included) tended to be nerdy or goth intellectuals. Has that changed in 30 years? I doubt it. The cartoonist himself is almost certainly a nerdy intellectual. Women then and now who like Joy Division and Radiohead are pretty unlikely to swoon over a crude illiterate man.

Far more likely is that the young women who didn't answer his ad even though they were also Joy Division and Radiohead fans wound up with a man just as smart, literate and non-crude as the cartoonist. He's just trying to justify his failure as women somehow preferring crude men. And some women do. But the odds are vanishingly small that they are Joy Division and Radiohead fans, especially in 2013 when both bands are identified more with far older people.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. But overthinking things is what us female Joy Division fans tend to do. And I highly doubt that the young generation of female fans of those bands prefers uncouth illiteracy. More likely they are sitting in their rooms complaining that" men only like bimbos" which is the female version of "women only like jerks".

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:39 pm

Janissy wrote:
Maybe I'm overthinking it. But overthinking things is what us female Joy Division fans tend to do. And I highly doubt that the young generation of female fans of those bands prefers uncouth illiteracy. More likely they are sitting in their rooms complaining that" men only like bimbos" which is the female version of "women only like jerks".

It also doesn't take into account people put down a lot of fake hobbies and interests in their profile so people don't think they're a stupid thug or bimbo. :) either way, I find the comic hilarious.

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:39 pm

I think you are overthinking it. It's a stupid cartoon, and it doesn't hold.

And I'm not a nerd :P

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:43 pm

octobertiger wrote:

Yes. It is stupid. That's the point.

I would have taken it down (realizing that it might be too vulger for this forum) but it's already been quoted twice. I didn't even notice the CRT monitor........Not much I can do about it now.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 2:29 pm

octobertiger wrote:

are you at least a geek?!

the cartoon made me laugh. The muscly guy must have been really pretty.

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 2:43 pm

No. Fail on that score, too!

Yeah, the cartoon. Any partner of that woman would end up drowning if they ever got intimate. Safe sex would require an aqualung!

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 3:05 pm

not a nerd and not a geek. Sorry, but there is no way you have Aspergers.. 8O 8O 8O

Yeah, she is probably mates with that one of the ping pong fame