thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 2:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Trans activists really need to lighten up.
Just ignore them.
ignorance breeds agitation.

No, paying attention to people who try to make their problems mine "breeds agitation".

oh did the awful nasty transexuals offend your white heterosexual male pwivilege?

Oh you poor chicken. :lol:

My deviant art profile

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 2:54 pm

I do agree. If everyone ignored people who claim knowledge which they then say they can't possibly have, maybe those people would just shut up.

Transgendered people usually are deeply conflicted and unhappy people... because they are transgendered. I don't think cisgendered people really understand just what waking up as the opposite sex, with no change to their brain, would be like. After a few days or weeks, they'd probably be pretty darn unhappy too. Unless they're in fiction, and especially anime, in which case they've turned into women and will probably be coming to terms with the fact that they're not ever going to change back, and are starting to enjoy their new womanhood...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 3:01 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Just ignore them.
No, paying attention to people who try to make their problems mine "breeds agitation".
oh did the awful nasty transexuals offend your white heterosexual male pwivilege? Oh you poor chicken.

Who said anything about "white", "heterosexual", "male" or "privilege"? Not I.

All that I'm saying is that whatever problems transgender people have are not mine, and that they shouldn't try to make them mine, either - such people are just trying to provoke conflicts; and people who try to provoke conflicts are best ignored.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

wavecannon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2013, 3:41 pm

Said Fnord, provoking the conflict further.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 3:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
All that I'm saying is that whatever problems transgender people have are not mine, and that they shouldn't try to make them mine, either - such people are just trying to provoke conflicts; and people who try to provoke conflicts are best ignored.

That is not all you are saying.

Fnord wrote:
Trans-gendrous people seem to generally operate under the idea believe that merely believing that they are the opposite sex makes them the opposite sex, while a white person pretending to be black is likely trying to "pass" for some personal benefit.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 4:10 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Fnord wrote:
Trans-gendrous people seem to generally operate under the idea believe that merely believing that they are the opposite sex makes them the opposite sex, while a white person pretending to be black is likely trying to "pass" for some personal benefit.

Cross-posting from another, and much older thread? How trollish. Also irrelevant to this thread's topic and context.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 4:17 pm

Hey, transexuals should lighten up! It is not like they are constantly murdered, misgendered, dehumanized or anything like that.

thomas81 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Just ignore them.

oh did the awful nasty transexuals offend your white heterosexual male pwivilege?

Oh you poor chicken. :lol:

Transexuals would offend your cis privilege, not your heterosexual privilege.

A homosexual cis person has cis privilege over transexual people.

A trans person can be heterosexual or homosexual or bisexual or pansexual. E.g: Trans women can be lesbian and date other women or be heterosexual and only date men.

Gender orientation is not the same as sexual preference.

Quote:

Cis people like you seem to operate under the idea that they should be able to opine on the matter of trans people even though being utterly bigoted and ignorant like you are.

No, they don't believe that they can change their sex by just thinking of it. Gender, however, is an aspect of personality and not biology. Sorry to threaten your cis feelings by saying that.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 4:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Fnord wrote:

Cross-posting from another, and much older thread? How trollish. Also irrelevant to this thread's topic and context.

The author of the article in the OP seems to harbour scepticism towards the very concept of transsexualism. I just happened to come across a quote from you which suggests that you might share his beliefs. In other words: Not irrelevant.

However, if I am wrong, then this will be an obvious opportunity for you to set the record straight and put me in my place...

Last edited by GGPViper on 02 Oct 2013, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 5:54 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Transexuals would offend your cis privilege, not your heterosexual privilege.

A homosexual cis person has cis privilege over transexual people.

A trans person can be heterosexual or homosexual or bisexual or pansexual. E.g: Trans women can be lesbian and date other women or be heterosexual and only date men.

Gender orientation is not the same as sexual preference.

Your pedanticism would be well founded, were it the case that cis-gendered had become another by word for privilege analogous to 'white' 'male' or 'heterosexual'.

It has not yet.

My deviant art profile

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 7:57 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Cis people like you seem to operate under the idea that they should be able to opine on the matter of trans people even though being utterly bigoted and ignorant like you are.

No, they don't believe that they can change their sex by just thinking of it. Gender, however, is an aspect of personality and not biology. Sorry to threaten your cis feelings by saying that.

As an Aspie from the Pathological Demand Avoidant sub-type, lacking a social identity, I find it kind of hard to believe that the average person's brain doesn't have enough plasticity for them to be able to overwrite their personality. My personality is plastic enough that I can just overwrite it on-the-fly, in a lot of ways. I could just pick a color at random to change my favorite color to, and it would genuinely become my favorite color. With more time, I could do the same thing with my favorite styles of music, favorite television shows, favorite movies, etc. as long as they weren't ones that are pretty much universally disliked. I can't really overwrite my favorite foods and drinks though, because that's related to the genetic composition of my taste-buds, not of my brain, but I could make myself like certain foods, that I already like, more than I already do, so there's still some potential for alteration. The average person seems kind of narrow-minded, in relation to their preferences. Most people seem convinced that certain preferences, that can easily be altered, are set in stone. I'm one of the few people that isn't under this subjective illusion, though I still don't understand why I have some habits that I don't have the preferences to back up. Maybe it's because it's just easier to do the same things over and over again than it is to do something out of the ordinary.

Last edited by Mike1 on 04 Oct 2013, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Oct 2013, 8:35 am

Mike1 wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Image if you will, you woke up tomorrow, in the body of the opposite sex against your wishes with all of the genderal traits and desires of your original sex intact. The feelings of physical alienation would be precisely analogous to what TG people experience every day.

I have kind of a hard time understanding that, since I'm about moderately asexual leaning towards heterosexual, and I'm kind of androgynous in a lot of ways.

Yeah, it's a tricky concept for cis-gendered people to understand at the best of times (as Burchill and O'Neill have shown), but I think another user who identifies as androgynous has said she finds it particularly hard to get her head around. She finds it difficult to identify with strongly cis or strongly trans people.

I think strongly cis people find it fairly easy to imagine how they'd feel if they woke up with the wrong genitals.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 9:04 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Yeah, it's a tricky concept for cis-gendered people to understand at the best of times (as Burchill and O'Neill have shown), but I think another user who identifies as androgynous has said she finds it particularly hard to get her head around. She finds it difficult to identify with strongly cis or strongly trans people.

I think strongly cis people find it fairly easy to imagine how they'd feel if they woke up with the wrong genitals.

I think I'd still react pretty badly because it would be the most awkward situation I've ever been in by a long shot, but I'd probably be almost completely over it after a couple weeks. I try not to sweat the small stuff. If I still had to go to work, go to college, and do homework, all while having no social life, and only being able to amuse myself by going on my computer or playing video games, what difference would it make? There are some benefits to being a male though, like it's a lot less maintenance than being a female. The benefits of being a male probably outweigh the benefits of being a female.