Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 10:54 pm

To me, the whole war on terror could have been prevented if we would have never gotten involved in Charlie Wilson's war, and then subsequent actions. But that is besides the point. My question is what is your view on Islam? I want to preach freedom of religion, but what is happening in Europe worries me. I also know of a friend who's father is a dick, and deserves to have the tar beat out of him. But anyways, I am mixed. Why were the Moors actually pretty mellow, yet the Arabics are all pissy? Is it specifically Israel? To me, it seems both Israel and the Arabic governments are wrong. I don't want to be a liberal with my head in the sand. but it seems conservatives are going overboard. Any thoughts?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 10:56 pm

Islam is the religion of fatwas, jihads, suicide bombings, wife-beatings, mass murders and enforced ignorance. It was founded by a delusional mama's boy who took an 8-year old girls as a wife. The greatest contribution of Islam to the world was nothing - the numerical representation of zero, to be specific. Nothing else of consequence has come out of Islam ever since.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AGhostWriter
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Oct 2013, 11:03 pm

Any form of extremism is generally bad, it just happens that a lot of the cultures in which Islam is most commonly found have been very chaotic for generations and generations, and thus it becomes a breeding ground for extremism. If you examine most followers of Islam who are in countries with less extremism, such as in America (though there's plenty of fundamentalism, and general idiocy here by most involved) they tend to be just as agreeable as Christians are presented to be, if only a little 'odd' because many of us aren't in a culture inundated with reference to Islam.
Without extremism Islam is arguably just as good, if not better in some ways, than any other belief system. It's just that most of the people we hear about as being Muslim are the extremists. Imagine if one of the only times you heard Christianity brought up was through that mass shooting in Northern Europe a few years ago. It might just influence your perspective.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 11:08 pm

That is the thing. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, and not get all up in arms. But at the same time, I don't want to put my head in the sand. But yeah.

AGhostWriter
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Oct 2013, 11:20 pm

I think the real enemy in any conflict against Islam should be fundamentalism and ignorance. That goes for any of the major religions, though. The worst thing I heard about the conflict in the Middle East was a news story detailing how one of the air combat teams had painted crusader symbols on their jets and went by the name 'The Crusaders' or something like that. I wanted to slap those who did that. The only thing that separates them from the people they so desperately hate is that they have access to a plane that they don't have to crash in order to kill for their misguided cause. Might doesn't make right. In my opinion, most religions are dangerous because they encourage the worst behaviors in humanity, even if they don't teach such things. We as a species just take everything, even potentially good things, too far.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 11:39 pm

I have no problem with Islam in of itself. There are numerous examples of moderate Islam out there. Of the five largest Muslim countries (Indonesia, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Egypt), three are very stable. The largest Muslim country by far, Indonesia, is a stable democracy that has a rapidly growing economy.

Fundamentalism is also not unique to Islam, but appears in all religions. Christianity long had a violent strain, and right now, there are Buddhists monks murdering Muslims in Myanmar. It's just, as another poster said, some Muslim countries have been dysfunctional long enough to start exporting their dysfunction.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 3:30 am

The Jihad against the West has been going on for hundreds, even thousands of years.

And the Moors were gentle? Apart from conquering and subjugating Spain, that is?

Do you think that what the Arabs tried to do in 1948 was right?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 3:31 am

The Jihad against the West has been going on for hundreds, even thousands of years.

And the Moors were gentle? Apart from conquering and subjugating Spain, that is?

Do you think that what the Arabs tried to do in 1948 was right?

Alexius848
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Oct 2013, 4:59 am

Islam is a peaceful religion far more peaceful than Christianity, if you read the Koran you'll see just how peaceful it is while if you read the bible you'll read about mass murder genocide and hatred.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 5:39 am

Alexius848 wrote:
Islam is a peaceful religion far more peaceful than Christianity, if you read the Koran you'll see just how peaceful it is

"Peaceful" in the sense that only when Islamists have massacred everyone on Planet Earth (due to divinely ordained scripture), Islam will be a peaceful religion.

"Peace" in the Islamic context means supremacism to the rest of us.

I refer to the words of the great 19th century British statesman, William Gladstone, who said of the Quran:

William Gladstone wrote:
So long as there is this book there will be no peace in the world.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 7:06 am

Tequila wrote:
Alexius848 wrote:
Islam is a peaceful religion far more peaceful than Christianity, if you read the Koran you'll see just how peaceful it is

"Peaceful" in the sense that only when Islamists have massacred everyone on Planet Earth (due to divinely ordained scripture), Islam will be a peaceful religion.

"Peace" in the Islamic context means supremacism to the rest of us.

I refer to the words of the great 19th century British statesman, William Gladstone, who said of the Quran:

William Gladstone wrote:
So long as there is this book there will be no peace in the world.

And again I see you are wading into the "all Muslims are evil" waters. Your mass stereotype of an entire population spread throughout many vastly different cultures and your interpretation of the holy works of a religion that you do not follow are the pinnacle of bigotry. You use the most extremist anecdotes and dismiss any evidence to the contrary. You base your opinions on bits and pieces of information that you cherry pick to cast a dark shadow on a peopple that you do not know and yet still fear.

Have you ever even met a Muslim? Have you ever had a conversation with one?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 12:14 pm

Alexius848 wrote:
Islam is a peaceful religion ... if you read the Koran you'll see just how peaceful it is ...

I have read the Koran. Obviously, you haven't:

KORAN commands to kill infidels:

Allah is an enemy to unbelievers. - Sura 2:98

On unbelievers is the curse of Allah. - Sura 2:161

Slay them wherever ye find them and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. - 2:191

Fight against them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme. (different translation: ) Fight them until there is no persecution and the religion is God's entirely. - Sura 2:193 and 8:39

Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. - 2:216

If you should die or be killed in the cause of Allah, His mercy and forgiveness would surely be better than all they riches they amass. If you should die or be killed, before Him you shall all be gathered. - 3:157-8

You must not think that those who were slain in the cause of Allah are dead. They are alive, and well-provided for by their Lord. - Surah 3:169-71

Let those fight in the cause of God who sell the life of this world for the hereafter. To him who fights in the cause of God, whether he is slain or victorious, soon we shall give him a great reward. - Surah 4:74

Those who believe fight in the cause of God, and those who reject faith fight in the cause of evil. - 4:76

But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever you find them. - 4:89

Therefore, we stirred among them enmity and hatred, which shall endure till the Day of Resurrection, when Allah will declare to them all that they have done. - 5:14

O believers, take not Jews and Christians as friends; they are friends of each other. Those of you who make them his friends is one of them. God does not guide an unjust people. - 5:54

Make war on them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme - 8:39

O Prophet! Exhort the believers to fight. If there are 20 steadfast men among you, they shall vanquish 200; and if there are a hundred, they shall rout a thousand unbelievers, for they are devoid of understanding. - 8:65

It is not for any Prophet to have captives until he has made slaughter in the land. - 8:67

Allah will humble the unbelievers. Allah and His apostle are free from obligations to idol-worshipers. Proclaim a woeful punishment to the unbelievers. - 9:2-3

When the sacred months are over, slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. - 9:5

Believers! Know that idolators are unclean. - 9:28

Fight those who believe neither in God nor the Last Day, nor what has been forbidden by God and his messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, even if they are People of the Book, until they pay the tribute and have been humbled. - 9:29 (another source: ) The unbelievers are impure and their abode is hell. (another source: ) Humiliate the non-Muslims to such an extent that they surrender and pay tribute.

Whether unarmed or well-equipped, march on and fight for the cause of Allah, with your wealth and your persons. - 9:41

O Prophet! Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites. Be harsh with them. Their ultimate abode is hell, a hapless journey's end. - 9:73

Allah has purchased of their faithful lives and worldly goods, and in return has promised them the Garden. They will fight for His cause, kill and be killed. - 9:111

Fight unbelievers who are near to you. 9:123

As for those who are slain in the cause of Allah, He will not allow their works to perish. He will vouchsafe them guidance and ennoble their state; He will admit them to the Paradise He has made known to them. - 10:4-15

Allah has cursed the unbelievers and proposed for them a blazing hell. - 33:60

Unbelievers are enemies of Allah and they will roast in hell. - 41:14

When you meet the unbelievers, smite their necks, then when you have made wide slaughter among them, tie fast the bonds, then set them free, either by grace or ransom, until the war lays down its burdens. - 47:4

Those who are slain in the way of Allah - he will never let their deeds be lost. Soon will he guide them and improve their condition, and admit them to the Garden, which he has announced for them. - 47:5

Muslims are harsh against the unbelievers, merciful to one another. - 48:25

Muhammad is Allah's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another. Through them, Allah seeks to enrage the unbelievers. - 48:29

Prophet! Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal sternly with them. Hell shall be their home, evil their fate. - 66:9

The unbelievers among the People of the Book and the pagans shall burn forever in the fire of hell. They are the vilest of all creatures. - 98:51

Fight them so that Allah may punish them at your hands, and put them to shame. (verse cited in Newsweek 2/11/02)

Islam is a religion of ignorance, violence, and murder. Cursed be the 'Prophet'! Cursed be all who praise his filthy name!

Alexius848

07 Oct 2013, 1:27 pm

You're not suppose to take the Koran literally.

And there are christian terrorists and Sikh terrorists and terrorists from many other religions.

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 1:36 pm

I can't agree with this.

Parts of the Bible have been used to justify an awful lot of strife in Northern Ireland, for instance. And lets not talk about countries foreign policy - every nation, every empire has much to answer for.

I'm sorry, I've been shown an awful lot of kindness in my life from followers of Islam. Who have always been human beings, first and foremost. I had the pleasure to live in a Muslim community and they went out of their way to include me, inspite of my sometimes difficult ways. It helped that they knew I wasn't English, so they didn't associate me with years of persecution and Islamophobia they had to face, of course.

William Gladstone - what wars was he involved in? Was he an agent for peace?

I think people look at one extremist, and don't realise that there are at least a thousand moderates for each one.

People are people. Nuff said.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 1:44 pm

Alexius848 wrote:
You're not suppose to take the Koran literally.

So then Mohammed is NOT Allah's prophet, and everything else that the Koran says is a lie, as well.

The Koran is either all true, or it is a work of fiction. Tell us, oh mullah of only sixteen years, which is it?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Oct 2013, 1:58 pm

I don't care what people believe as long as those beliefs don't end up infringing on the rights of other people including their children. I feel this way about all religions. Barbarism is still barbarism if by any other name.