Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Yayoi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2013, 2:26 am

Just yesterday, my Drama teacher told us we're going to be studying Australian drama. This is something I just know I'm going to hate, since I dislike living in this country and want to get out ASAP, and the plays have characters with typical thick Aussie accents and lots of nationalistic ideas which I'll probably disagree with. When I told my teacher I'm going to hate this unit since I'm not a fan of this country at all, she said "We're going to make you love it" which sort of pissed me off.

How can I get through this? I want to go to university and have my own life, but this is my final year of school when things start to get serious.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 2:42 am

Yayoi wrote:
Just yesterday, my Drama teacher told us we're going to be studying Australian drama. This is something I just know I'm going to hate, since I dislike living in this country and want to get out ASAP, and the plays have characters with typical thick Aussie accents and lots of nationalistic ideas which I'll probably disagree with. When I told my teacher I'm going to hate this unit since I'm not a fan of this country at all, she said "We're going to make you love it" which sort of pissed me off.

How can I get through this? I want to go to university and have my own life, but this is my final year of school when things start to get serious.

Just bite your tongue and deal with it, since you could be studying something far worse.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 9:31 am

I agree with the person above me, just suck it up. We all had to study things in school we didn't like. Schools don't teach things around your likes and dislikes.

You'll only have to study it for a little bit and then they'll move on to something else, schools don't waste time teaching one topic for months, they only do it for a couple days, sometimes a week, and then they gotta move on to the next thing. Maybe you'll like the next topic better and that's something you can look forward to. Maybe ask your teacher what the next topic will be, so you can look forward to it.

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 9:44 am

Put it like this: if you don't like the issues that the topic brings up - like Nationalism - then you have something to critically engage in. You can study it to reject it.

That in itself sounds fun.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 10:32 am

I agree with the other posters. Does not tolerance demand you allow Australians to be Australian in Australia?

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2013, 1:05 am

I hate every aspect of the degree program I am in right now. The topics are boring, and the program is basically a lot of busy work so they can feel justified for giving us our diplomas. However, I have to do it to maintain my employment, so I have to suck it up and do the best I can. That's just a part of life.

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 3:45 am

Yayoi wrote:

Why do you hate Australia? I can not fathom how someone can hate every aspect of a nation and land mass and geological features.

So I'm never in a rush

Yayoi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2013, 3:48 am

octobertiger wrote:
Put it like this: if you don't like the issues that the topic brings up - like Nationalism - then you have something to critically engage in. You can study it to reject it.

That in itself sounds fun.

I like this idea a lot! People do tell me "Yayoi, you're a natural born critic" and so this might work for me.