Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 11:36 am

My psychiatrist dx me with ADD today.
We went through my childhood today and eventhough my brother was very hyperactiv as a child, my psychiatrist couldn't find any hyperactivity in my behaviour as a child. But I still have trouble focusing. :(
So eventhough he thought last time, I could also have ADHD, I ended up with an ADD-diagnoses instead.

We also talked about methylphenidate. I'm not sure if I want to try it, but I'm also sceptical because I heard that methylphenidate helps mostly for ADHD and not really for ADD!? :?
Does anyone with ADD (and quiet childhood) has experiences with methylphenidate or tell me something about it?
And what helps best for ADD inattentive type?

Last edited by Raziel on 09 Oct 2013, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 12:38 pm

I found methylphenidate ineffective for my ADD-I. I have yet to go back to try other medications since their cost (I don't have insurance) is too high. Theravadan (sp?!) Buddhist meditation (where one develops concentration, then insight) has helped a lot for me. ALso there are tons of lifestyle and behavior mods that have gone a long way for me that at this point, I don't feel the need for medication. Extreme systemizing for me (from AS) has essentially countered ADD-I behaviors, although the underlying cognition still feels scattered (just the difference being evident when I meditate and focus intentionally).

Basically not advising you to not take medication, just saying that there are supportive measures that make medication less needed (it is addictive).

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:37 pm

I've been taking it for years, I haven't had bad sideeffects.

Last edited by Asperger96 on 10 Oct 2013, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxBlack
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2013, 3:12 pm

I take this Medicine, 6x 5mg a day and it helps me so much, and It has helped me beyond words can say. just don't take after 4pm that is if you want to get to sleep.

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 3:56 pm

My experience of methylphenidate hydrochloride (Ritalin) was awful.
Mood swings every few seconds; going from happy to depressed & back again literally every few seconds.
I flushed them down the toilet.

For me Strattera was a LOT better as it actually worked at getting rid of most of the ADHD stuff.
I take 2 40mg capsules per day.

Everyone is different. So what didn't/did work for me may not work/not work for someone else.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 4:05 pm

concerta [a timed release iteration of methylphenidate] helped reduce my AS symptoms comorbid with ADHD, in addition to ADHD relief, but it made me cross. the only frontal lobe stimulant which didn't make me cross was Strattera.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 1:42 am

Thanks for all the answers. :D

I'm taking Bupropion at the moment. We started it because of my depression, but it also helped me focus a bit better, but just a bit and not significantly. It's an NDRI, a mild dopamine reuptake inhibitor and also a much weaker norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.

I'm thinking between methylphenidate and Strattera.
I'm not sure if I want to take methylphenidate and feel strange with it, but on the other hand when it really helps!? :?

My psychiatrist also always considers my opinion (eventhough if he doesn't always agree with me ;) ). But he just tryes methylphenidate with me, if I really want that. If not I can also stay on Bupropion or I could ask him for Strattera, but I dunno what he thinks about it. We haven't talked about Strattera so far.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 1:46 am

the thing about Strattera [atomoxetine outside USA] is that it comes on like a lamb, the onset of effect is subtle. one awakens one day and notices that one's thinking is discernably quicker and more organized, more clear-headed and even of mood.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 9:42 am

I'm DXed with ADHD-I and I take Concerta.

It does help, although I find it causes insomnia.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 9:57 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
It does help, although I find it causes insomnia.

I've already trouble with sleep and taking melatonin for it, I don't wanna have more. :?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 1:38 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
I'm DXed with ADHD-I and I take Concerta. It does help, although I find it causes insomnia.

does it ever make you cross?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 9:47 pm

auntblabby wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
I'm DXed with ADHD-I and I take Concerta. It does help, although I find it causes insomnia.

Not unless I consume a high amount of caffeine in conjunction with the Concerta.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 9:48 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Not unless I consume a high amount of caffeine in conjunction with the Concerta.

caffeine AND concerta? wow :o that sounds like a recipe for a blown gasket.