Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 8:54 pm

Hello :D . I am currently living in Northern Michigan, and I am kinda hating it. I have applied to ten positions, and have only been called back by one of them, which I thought was nice. But I digress, let's get into the meat and potatoes of the situation. I am living with my grand parents, and I am kinda ok with that, although they sometimes get buggy. I keep trying to find work, and there have been only 100 positions posted this month on indeed.com . This bugs me. Most of them are cashier positions, which I suck at, or Mcdonalds, which I suck at as well. I was looking at Traverse City, and I saw 800 positions. I used to live there, so getting around would not be as bad. My mom was suggesting we move there, but I put it off. But as of late, I am getting depressed around here. I asked her whether she would want to, but she said she does not think she could afford to move there. Plus she is waiting for her investment to take off (in Iraqi Dinars), and despite me trying to get her to look for work, she still believes it will revalue, even after a half a year of false starts. This is what has made me think about going alone. If she continues endlessly on about this (before she said September was her cut off point, now supposedly it is after October), that she will start looking for work.

On the positive side, I got her to sell online, but unfortunately she sold counterfeit items on ebay, even though I warned her. Now I am not saying I am a perfect investor or finance major or anything, but I have studied and played with stocks and etfs, and commodities to an extent (she invested in a commodity I did, and I warned her to get out, but she barely broke even in the end). This seems like a common occurrence between me an her(there have been other times I tried to warn her), and so I am starting to weigh my options. I calculated if I worked 40 hours a week, and calculated my take home if I rented only one bedroom, and I believe I could save between 200-400 a month. I am waiting to see if I could get into either Meijers or Walmart in my town (since some people will jump ship at Walmart), and hopefully I will not have to move. But at the rate things are going, I am strongly considering it. Plus I could walk around, and have tons to do, unlike now, where I have exhausted all the places i could go. In addition, I think it is more libertarian than where I am, seems more entrepreneurial, and has two hackerspaces. Those are the minor reasons, but they help relieve the depression I sometimes have from not having many friends. I don't want to make a rash decision, and I want to finish up my second year of college here, but I can take classes at the college over therefor one year, build up some cash, then head down to Northwood to finish up my final year. I would eventually like to save up enough money to buy an apartment in my old town and rent it, but so far I can't pay for it, so first I need to find a job. Heck, the hospital over there alone is hiring like crazy, and as an example, will hire help desk positions with no college degree required, and pays 14-21 an hour with benefits. Now that opportunity will probably pass, but if I could even get a 10 an hour job, I would be happy. Over here, i would be lucky to be making 8. I haven't told my mom of my independent plans, but if she decides not to go over there, I might just do that (the original idea was for us both to go over there, but if she is skittish, then I might just go it on my own.) So what do you think? Thanks. (PS, I would have a state grant to fund my third year at TC, so costs are not a problem).

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 8:57 pm

To add to this, my town is 27k for the county, and for there it is more like 90k. The only complications would be my aspergers and working on my driving license.