Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

DeviousDani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2013, 9:00 am

How do you cope with anger?

(I AM SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW!! !! !! !! !! !)

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 9:02 am

I blow up real bad, then feel sad for a long time, then eventually feel better in 30-60 minnutes.

silentlyvela
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2013, 9:05 am

I text my therapist, and she gives me something to research.

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2013, 9:09 am

Well, don't be blowing up or going into one, else you feel bad and it hurts your self esteem. Feeling angry is normal, but blowing up at people not so much. Don't feed it, take slow and deep breaths.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 11:29 am

Sometimes I slam something with my hand

Too often I just hold it in.

I am yes angry that society encourages people to express most emotions but looks down on this one which is just as normal as the others.

As I get older I get angry less and less often.

I hope whatever is making you angry gets resolved

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2013, 12:34 pm

DeviousDani wrote:
How do you cope with anger?

Uhm, scream, swear, kick and punch stuff.
Just my typical angry reaction.
I was told that I get angry a lot and very easily. People accuse me of using an angry tone a lot while I don't realize I'm doing it.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 5:00 pm

I deal with it by looking it up. It's very interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anger
For instance...

Wikipedia wrote:
People feel angry when they sense that they or someone they care about has been offended, when they are certain about the nature and cause of the angering event, when they are certain someone else is responsible, and when they feel they can still influence the situation or cope with it.
[...]
The angry person usually finds the cause of their anger in an intentional, personal, and controllable aspect of another person's behavior. This explanation, however, is based on the intuitions of the angry person who experiences a loss in self-monitoring capacity and objective observability as a result of their emotion. Anger can be of multicausal origin, some of which may be remote events, but people rarely find more than one cause for their anger.

(emphasis mine)

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 5:10 pm

my life was transformed when I discovered that it is perfectly socially acceptable to acknowledge your anger out loud as long as you don't shout or be accusatory.

Just saying out loud something like 'I am soo angry about this right now ' makes me feel better. The thing is that the emotion needs to be given a chance to work itself through your system without causing you or anyone else harm so sometimes you just have to feel it. It's not pleasant but it does pass.

yellowlab

12 Oct 2013, 5:42 pm

I try to do something I enjoy or talk to someone I really like talking to.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2013, 10:10 pm

My anger typically builds and builds until I blow. My blowups consist of pacing back and forth yelling, lasting a couple of hours up to a day or so. I can get to the point that I start hitting or breaking things. I search for ways to release the anger before I break things up, like working out hard, going for a walk/run, or a bicycle ride. I used to love the bicycle rides out into the country where there was nothing but cows and corn to hear me yell... lol.

DeviousDani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2013, 10:17 pm

1401b wrote:
For instance...
Wikipedia wrote:
People feel angry when they sense that they or someone they care about has been offended, when they are certain about the nature and cause of the angering event, when they are certain someone else is responsible, and when they feel they can still influence the situation or cope with it.
[...]
The angry person usually finds the cause of their anger in an intentional, personal, and controllable aspect of another person's behavior. This explanation, however, is based on the intuitions of the angry person who experiences a loss in self-monitoring capacity and objective observability as a result of their emotion. Anger can be of multicausal origin, some of which may be remote events, but people rarely find more than one cause for their anger.

(emphasis mine)

Whenever something is bothering me I research it too :)

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 12:30 pm

1401b wrote:
For instance...
Wikipedia wrote:
[...]

(emphasis mine)

That article is BS. Anger and rage are last ditch survival mechanisms. They arise from being pushed into a situation from which there is no easy escape from emotional pain.