Can't stand living with someone outside of family

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 5:31 pm

I lived with a woman back in April who was kinda enough to rent out a room for me. However, I could not stand it when we were both in the house. I would hang out in my room or go for a walk, to avoid her. I would become very anxious when she tried to engage me in conversation. At night, she wouldn't go to bed and I could hear her throughout the house, which irritated me because I wanted to get up and use the bathroom. She was as sweet as she could be, but I was very nervous around her.

I am very glad to be living by myself now.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 5:40 pm

I understand what you mean. I'm like that, too. As soon as I could afford to live by myself, I did so. It's so much better living alone. I couldn't tolerate other people's different hygiene awareness etc.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 5:56 pm

yeah I am only just starting to get how much living with people outside your family can be difficult, I am in university halls and feel like I am going crazy living with 4 other people

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 6:00 pm

Yep, me too, although I also couldn't stand living with much of my family. Just the sound of other people walking around, opening/closing doors and cabinets irks me. People are just a huge distraction.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2013, 7:17 am

I think I could never be able to live with someone who is not my mother or father.
If I had to live with somebody else, I'd rather live alone.
In January an uncle of mine came to stay with my family for 3 weeks because he was temporarily homeless. They were three weeks of hell for me. Literally. I did anything to avoid him, and he was the type of playful person that is always making confusing jokes that I can't understand (not that I dislike people like that, but really, in his case it's excessive). I feared he could get into my room and mess with my stuff. The only times I was not anxious were when he got out of the house.
Not that I wanted to kick him out of the house in the street, but really, I would have prefered him to go somewhere else.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 8:46 am

Something that happened to me once. For six months I boarded with this weird guy. He kind of creeped me out and we both ignored each other. Maybe he thought I was creepy because I also ignored him. I'd probably talk to him about once a week even though I had to walk past him every time I wanted to get something from the kitchen. He was highly introverted. I'd go out a lot of days and do stuff with people but he just kept on watching Youtube. It's not that I'm like this with everyone. Just him. I got on with his friends a lot better than I got on with him. And in the times when my mother took on boarders I got on fine with them although that may be because some of them were my friends who needed a place to stay. Anyway I boarded at this guys house for six months and then he kicked me out because he said for the third month in a row I'd maxed out his internet quota. He shou

d have told me on the first month. Then I would've downloaded less. I prefer it when people get angry with me straight away instead of of bottling it up so they can get even more angry with me later. Anyway the reason he took me on as a boarder was because he said he didn't have enough money. I guess now he won't have enough money again :twisted:

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 11:46 am

I can't stand living with someone, family or not. It's a pain having to avoid people and never being able to relax, even in your home.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 11:55 am

I feel the same as you. I only like living with family members.

jk1 wrote:
I understand what you mean. I'm like that, too. As soon as I could afford to live by myself, I did so. It's so much better living alone. I couldn't tolerate other people's different hygiene awareness etc.

Different hygiene awareness? Random!