do you have aspergers AND good social skills?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Aperture
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 10:23 am

DeviousDani wrote:
I am very strong in some areas of my social skills and shocking at others. I do have some social strengths though.

That's sort of the case with me as well. For instance, I don't feel like I have any real friends at the moment, I think my job has possibly been in jeopardy before partially because of social issues (now it appears that it may be in jeopardy for other reasons :( ), and it's been several years since I've seen any members of my extended family. On the other hand, I've had a few experiences in recent years of getting into long, in-depth conversations that lasted for hours with people online that I had just barely met. These conversations seemed to make a really favorable impression on the people I was talking to and they seemed to take a strong liking towards me.

Also, as a teenager I had quite a few friends. My house was kind of a hub of activity during those years and I even had some friends living with me at my parents' house for short periods when they were having trouble with their families, etc. That seems like another lifetime ago, as a lot of my adult years so far have been spent basically in isolation. I ended up becoming pretty disillusioned with the social group I had known when I was younger and realized how my social naivete had led to my misjudging the character of certain people I knew and left me open to being disrespected, subtly bullied, etc.