Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

19 Feb 2007, 4:21 pm

Oxytocin would be administer by nasal spray or injection. I read how iodine can be used to permit insulin to be absorbed though the skin. So I guess a skin patch is remotely possible for oxytocin.

I might try to order that 5mg 95% Oxytocin. I need to know more about different preservatives for its solutions.

Shale
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 4:33 pm

I'd love to see them actually look into the AS community with oxytocin if it has such an effect :D It probably won't be a 'cure' or sorts at all (since that's not really the idea at all) but it might just make life a little easier for people... :)

(Ocytocin, I believe, is also responsible for the sudden urge to sleep in males and sudden urge to snuggle and banter in females after orgasm... :lol:)

krex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 4:51 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Oxytocin would be administer by nasal spray or injection. I read how iodine can be used to permit insulin to be absorbed though the skin. So I guess a skin patch is remotely possible for oxytocin.

I might try to order that 5mg 95% Oxytocin. I need to know more about different preservatives for its solutions.

Let us know how it goes.....(I love it when humans become their own guinea pigs rather then hapless little mice... :) )

ALso,as a female,I would consider using the Acid L Arganine.Do you know what does might be most effective,any drug interactions and if there is connection with uterine contractions....would that cause trouble during menstruation?My cramps are plenty strong as is,I would hate to make them worse.

Do you think Oxytocin could help people quit smoking?I am supposed to start Chantix soon,which blocks the neurons that are supposed to be stimulated from nicotin.I am pretty nervous how this will effect my depression and anxiety but it is supposed to be 4X as effective as Wellbutrin for quiting.After my experience with allergic reaction to Wellbutrin,(which wasnt just a "little rash" but just this side of hell)I am very nervous about adding any chemicals to my system.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 5:00 pm

krex wrote:

Let us know how it goes.....(I love it when humans become their own guinea pigs rather then hapless little mice... :) )

Yeah I'm expendable :)

krex wrote:
Also,as a female,I would consider using the Acid L Arganine.Do you know what does might be most effective,any drug interactions and if there is connection with uterine contractions....would that cause trouble during menstruation?My cramps are plenty strong as is,I would hate to make them worse.

Not sure my own knowledge of L-arginine (an amino acid) is it is the feed stock your
body uses for nitric oxide(NO) production . NO will lower blood pressure and make obtaining an erection more easier. I had a stock pile of it for the last 3 years for those reasons but I rarely take it and not continually. Though I decided I'm going to take 3 grams* daily till I deplete my supply.

*No real reason why I choose that amount

krex wrote:
Do you think Oxytocin could help people quit smoking?I am supposed to start Chantix soon,which blocks the neurons that are supposed to be stimulated from nicotin.I am pretty nervous how this will effect my depression and anxiety but it is supposed to be 4X as effective as Wellbutrin for quiting.After my experience with allergic reaction to Wellbutrin,(which wasnt just a "little rash" but just this side of hell)I am very nervous about adding any chemicals to my system.

I read it plays a role in addiction but if it can treat addiction I'm not sure.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 5:22 pm

Revenant wrote:
PEOPLE PEOPLE!
Please don't confuse the neurohormone oxyTOCIN with the synthetic opioid oxyCONTIN.

:?
My only experience of oxytocin is it was given to my wife during childbirth/labour to hel dilate the cervix.

I would suggest women should use it under medical supervision only.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 6:49 am

I was about to order some Oxytocin from the link I provided. But they did not take
Discover Card. Which is the only credit card I have at this time. It listed $10 shipping for my location in Texas.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 6:25 pm

Do you have a Canadian web site you trust to order cheaper meds?I changed jobs and have no medical coverage for a few months put dont want to quit taking my Effexor and might want to order some Progesterone and Chantix....all this would cost more then I make if I get it at America pharamacy.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 7:03 pm

krex wrote:
Do you have a Canadian web site you trust to order cheaper meds?I changed jobs and have no medical coverage for a few months put dont want to quit taking my Effexor and might want to order some Progesterone and Chantix....all this would cost more then I make if I get it at America pharamacy.

I never ordered meds from Canada.

What dose do you take (mg)? and is it the extended release (XL)? How much do you
pay for the Effexor?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 8:12 pm

75mg ER,once a day.I have been just paying about 23.oo for copay but I think they are over 140.00 a month at CVS I go to.I think they are half that on Canadian web site but just afraid of getting ripped off.The Chantix on line was about a third of the price.Luckily my thyroid meds are about the same as my co-pay for them...11.00 a month...yeah,something cheap.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 8:24 pm

krex wrote:
75mg ER,once a day.I have been just paying about 23.oo for copay but I think they are over 140.00 a month at CVS I go to.I think they are half that on Canadian web site but just afraid of getting ripped off.The Chantix on line was about a third of the price.Luckily my thyroid meds are about the same as my co-pay for them...11.00 a month...yeah,something cheap.

http://www.worldremedium.com/

I ordered from this place in India three times and never had a problem. But that was
2 years ago an the Indian government has changed the law in their pharmaceutical industry from US pressure. So I have no idea what the companies current status is.
Importing drug has a risk of US customs seizing the drugs to. Though if you have
a real doctors RX you could likely send it to the US Customs to get them to release your meds. And way here is pricing at the above site (and yes these will be generics):

Effexor 37.5mg Generic $59.25 60
Effexor OD 150mg Generic $56.25 30
Effexor OD 150mg Generic $85.00 90
Effexor XR 37.5mg Generic $63.00 90
Effexor XR 37.5mg Generic $60.00 60
Effexor XR 37.5mg Generic $126.00 180
Effexor XR 75mg Generic $79.20 $59.20 90
Effexor XR 75mg Generic $158.40 180
Effexor XR 75mg Generic $58.20 60

since your on a low dose you could easily take the XR version.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 11:03 am

Thanks Machine1.....I hate to gamble but I hate to go off Effexor while trying to quit smoking and starting a new job.I will give it a try and see what happens.I do have a script from my DR and its not a narcotic,so hopefully it will come through.I live in MN and our Governor is actually PRO Canada meds(though he is a Rep. and that and his immigrant policy are the only things we agree on.)

Revenant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 12:22 pm

Holy s**t effexor??!?!

Be careful around that. I test drove it and it made me feel like doing nothing...

And still I see people confuse oxytocinwith oxycontin. oxyCONTIN is the synthetic opiate you buy from dealers. OxyTOCIN is the pituitary hormone that is found naturally inthe body.

This thread is about the latter.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 12:50 pm

Revenant wrote:
Holy s**t effexor??!?!

Be careful around that. I test drove it and it made me feel like doing nothing...

Thanks for the warning but I have been on it for 4 years...come to think of it,I do feel like doing nothing... :D Except going to work,reading,living on WP,watching Adult Swim,doing Sudoko,petting the bunnies and cats,unting treasures in thriftstores,looking for rocks....but I was like this before Effexor.I'm just old.The one that turned me into a Zombie was 200mg of Zoloft.....pleasantly numb and barely breathing...scary part was I didnt even realize it until I got off it>I thought I felt "normal".

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 9:34 pm

I had a dream about oxytocin the other day in which I thought it would greatly help me with social communications. So my subconscious mind thinks it maybe useful.

I found this article talking about how oxytocin can treat the sexual side effects from SSRI's.

Quote:
Chronic fluoxetine inhibits sexual behavior
in the male rat: reversal with oxytocin
by
Cantor JM, Binik YM, Pfaus JG
Department of Psychology,
McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1999 Jun; 144(4):355-62

ABSTRACT
RATIONALE: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, used widely in the treatment of depression, progressively inhibit sexual orgasm in many patients and induce a transient inhibition of sexual desire. OBJECTIVES: We attempted to model the effects of these drugs in sexually experienced male rats during tests of copulation in bilevel chambers. These chambers allow the study of both appetitive and consummatory sexual responses of male rats. METHODS: Males were treated daily with fluoxetine hydrochloride (0, 1, 5, or 10 mg/kg) and tested for sexual behavior with receptive females at 4-day intervals. Rats were treated with oxytocin (200 ng/kg) or saline after ejaculations had decreased. RESULTS: Fluoxetine decreased ejaculatory responses of male rats in a dose- and time-dependent fashion, but left the copulatory efficiency of the males intact. In contrast, conditioned level changing, a measure of appetitive sexual excitement, was inhibited following acute and chronic treatment with 10 mg/kg, although tolerance may have developed to the effect of 5 mg/kg. Subsequent administration of oxytocin restored the ejaculatory response but not the measure of sexual excitement to baseline levels. CONCLUSIONS: The reversal by oxytocin of the fluoxetine-induced deficit in ejaculations is consistent with the hypothesis that serotonin suppresses ejaculatory mechanisms by interrupting the action of oxytocin, which normally accompanies sexual behavior. Co-administration of oxytocin may help to alleviate the predominant sexual side effect of serotonin reuptake blockers.

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/fluoxsex.htm

krex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 9:47 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
I had a dream about oxytocin the other day in which I thought it would greatly help me with social communications. So my subconscious mind thinks it maybe useful.

I found this article talking about how oxytocin can treat the sexual side effects from SSRI's.

Quote:
Chronic fluoxetine inhibits sexual behavior
in the male rat: reversal with oxytocin
by
Cantor JM, Binik YM, Pfaus JG
Department of Psychology,
McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1999 Jun; 144(4):355-62

ABSTRACT
RATIONALE: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, used widely in the treatment of depression, progressively inhibit sexual orgasm in many patients and induce a transient inhibition of sexual desire. OBJECTIVES: We attempted to model the effects of these drugs in sexually experienced male rats during tests of copulation in bilevel chambers. These chambers allow the study of both appetitive and consummatory sexual responses of male rats. METHODS: Males were treated daily with fluoxetine hydrochloride (0, 1, 5, or 10 mg/kg) and tested for sexual behavior with receptive females at 4-day intervals. Rats were treated with oxytocin (200 ng/kg) or saline after ejaculations had decreased. RESULTS: Fluoxetine decreased ejaculatory responses of male rats in a dose- and time-dependent fashion, but left the copulatory efficiency of the males intact. In contrast, conditioned level changing, a measure of appetitive sexual excitement, was inhibited following acute and chronic treatment with 10 mg/kg, although tolerance may have developed to the effect of 5 mg/kg. Subsequent administration of oxytocin restored the ejaculatory response but not the measure of sexual excitement to baseline levels. CONCLUSIONS: The reversal by oxytocin of the fluoxetine-induced deficit in ejaculations is consistent with the hypothesis that serotonin suppresses ejaculatory mechanisms by interrupting the action of oxytocin, which normally accompanies sexual behavior. Co-administration of oxytocin may help to alleviate the predominant sexual side effect of serotonin reuptake blockers.

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/fluoxsex.htm

I wish they would dp some of the research on female rats as well....dont we have more "issues" with sexual response and desire then men(as well as more issues with depression that we treat with these anti-depressants)I certainly would want to know what side effects there are for females.....I would hate to have my cirvix randomly dialating on me....ouch..This could be a really money maker.....maybe I will invest in some stock.

Good luck with your experiment....hope everything goes well.Keep us updated.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 12:49 am

Came across this on Digg today:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns? ... news_rss20

Quote:
Earlier research found increased oxytocin in the blood of people who had taken ecstasy. However, many drugs increase blood oxytocin without raising it in the brain - something thought necessary for any "pro-social" effects.

Their study showed it did boost brain levels of oxytocin.

Heres the scientific journal abstract:

Quote:
1: Neuroscience. 2007 Mar 22; [Epub ahead of print]
Links
A role for oxytocin and 5-HT(1A) receptors in the prosocial effects of 3,4 methylenedioxymethamphetamine ("ecstasy").
Thompson MR, Callaghan PD, Hunt GE, Cornish JL, McGregor IS.

School of Psychology, University of Sydney, Griffith Taylor Building (A18), Sydney, NSW, 2006, Australia.

The drug 3,4 methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA; ecstasy) has a widely documented ability to increase feelings of love and closeness toward others. The present study investigated whether oxytocin, a neuropeptide involved in affiliative behavior, may play a role in this effect. A moderate (5 mg/kg, i.p.) dose of MDMA increased social interaction in male Wistar rats, primarily by increasing the amount of time rats spent lying adjacent to each other. MDMA (5 mg/kg) activated oxytocin-containing neurons in the supraoptic and paraventricular nuclei of the hypothalamus, as shown by Fos immunohistochemistry. MDMA (5 mg/kg i.p.) also increased plasma oxytocin levels and this effect was prevented by pre-treatment with the 5-HT(1A) antagonist WAY 100,635 (1 mg/kg i.p.). The oxytocin receptor antagonist tocinoic acid (20 mug, i.c.v.) had no effect on social behavior when given alone but significantly attenuated the facilitation of social interaction produced by MDMA (5 mg/kg). The 5-HT(1A) agonist 8-hydroxy-2-(di-n-propylamino)-tetraline) ( 8 -OH-DPAT, 0.25 mg/kg, i.p.) increased social behavior in a similar way to MDMA and this effect was also significantly attenuated by tocinoic acid. Taken together, these results suggest that oxytocin release, stimulated by MDMA through 5-HT(1A) receptors, may play a key role in the prosocial effects of MDMA and underlie some of the reinforcing effects of the drug.

PMID: 17383105 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Somebody made a thread that said MDMA cured their aspergers. This may explain the pro-social effects they had.