Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

05 Apr 2007, 12:49 am

Came across this on Digg today:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns? ... news_rss20

Quote:
Earlier research found increased oxytocin in the blood of people who had taken ecstasy. However, many drugs increase blood oxytocin without raising it in the brain - something thought necessary for any "pro-social" effects.

Their study showed it did boost brain levels of oxytocin.

Heres the scientific journal abstract:

Quote:
1: Neuroscience. 2007 Mar 22; [Epub ahead of print]
Links
A role for oxytocin and 5-HT(1A) receptors in the prosocial effects of 3,4 methylenedioxymethamphetamine ("ecstasy").
Thompson MR, Callaghan PD, Hunt GE, Cornish JL, McGregor IS.

School of Psychology, University of Sydney, Griffith Taylor Building (A18), Sydney, NSW, 2006, Australia.

The drug 3,4 methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA; ecstasy) has a widely documented ability to increase feelings of love and closeness toward others. The present study investigated whether oxytocin, a neuropeptide involved in affiliative behavior, may play a role in this effect. A moderate (5 mg/kg, i.p.) dose of MDMA increased social interaction in male Wistar rats, primarily by increasing the amount of time rats spent lying adjacent to each other. MDMA (5 mg/kg) activated oxytocin-containing neurons in the supraoptic and paraventricular nuclei of the hypothalamus, as shown by Fos immunohistochemistry. MDMA (5 mg/kg i.p.) also increased plasma oxytocin levels and this effect was prevented by pre-treatment with the 5-HT(1A) antagonist WAY 100,635 (1 mg/kg i.p.). The oxytocin receptor antagonist tocinoic acid (20 mug, i.c.v.) had no effect on social behavior when given alone but significantly attenuated the facilitation of social interaction produced by MDMA (5 mg/kg). The 5-HT(1A) agonist 8-hydroxy-2-(di-n-propylamino)-tetraline) ( 8 -OH-DPAT, 0.25 mg/kg, i.p.) increased social behavior in a similar way to MDMA and this effect was also significantly attenuated by tocinoic acid. Taken together, these results suggest that oxytocin release, stimulated by MDMA through 5-HT(1A) receptors, may play a key role in the prosocial effects of MDMA and underlie some of the reinforcing effects of the drug.

PMID: 17383105 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Somebody made a thread that said MDMA cured their aspergers. This may explain the pro-social effects they had.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 1:07 am

Thanks for the link.

Given my recent situations with humans,even on line,I am not sure I want to be any closer to them.Seems kind of dangerious given that I am a poor judge of charactor and tend not to be liked.I think I need a drug that just makes me not care what people think about me or feel hurt when rejected or insulted.

I could really need a drug to help me fit 1,000Sq feet of items in a 1,000 sq feet of space, in an organised way(so I can find stuff) and had enough room left over to walk around a bit.I think LSD would at least provide the illussion of having this and the indifference of finding things(I would forget what I was looking for after I waved my hand in front of my face or saw something sparkly).

How are your personal chemical experiments going?I am getting tired of paying $128.00 a month just so I dont cry.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 1:24 am

krex wrote:
How are your personal chemical experiments going?I am getting tired of paying $128.00 a month just so I don't cry.

Still have not ordered any Oxytocin. That place I link to in this thread does no take Discover card my only current card. Its a pain but its saved me alot money not having a Visa :) Since so many things I have not ordered because of that.

I just checked the order form at genscript and they still do not take Discover. Maybe I need to get some online temporary credit card number?

mariiha
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2007, 11:15 am

SilentJohn wrote:
one of the side affects Ozy Contin seems to have a lot on me is sneezing...i wonder why...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mariiha
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2007, 11:25 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
Quote:
Earlier research found increased oxytocin in the blood of people who had taken ecstasy. However, many drugs increase blood oxytocin without raising it in the brain - something thought necessary for any "pro-social" effects.

Their study showed it did boost brain levels of oxytocin.

Quote:

Somebody made a thread that said MDMA cured their aspergers. This may explain the pro-social effects they had.

I believe I read an article that MDMA was originally formulated in Germany in the early 1900's looking for a way to help blood colagulate. it didn't work for that but years later the UStates started experimenting with it. I don't know about curing aspergers with it, but i can say i personally have taken it and yes, it did make me more sociable.

RaoulDuke
Raven
Raven

05 Apr 2007, 11:35 am

This is dangerous. I don't like the fact that you can spray it on yourself and it would make people drop their guard around you.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 11:41 am

RaoulDuke wrote:
This is dangerous. I don't like the fact that you can spray it on yourself and it would make people drop their guard around you.

Well I'm not so sure the body spray has any effect. So I would not worry about that.

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2007, 11:51 am

Hmmm.. This is very interesting. I have noticed for myself that I am much more social when I'm nursing. I thought it was just because mothers of young children need more support. And if oxytocin makes people social that makes sense since oxytocin is the major breastfeeding hormone. Interesting.

mariiha
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2007, 12:58 pm

wendytheweird wrote:
Hmmm.. This is very interesting. I have noticed for myself that I am much more social when I'm nursing. I thought it was just because mothers of young children need more support. And if oxytocin makes people social that makes sense since oxytocin is the major breastfeeding hormone. Interesting.

wendy, you are right. there actually is an oxytocin nasal spary manufactured by a pharmaceutical company for nursing moms to help them release the milk 'let down' reflex

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2007, 2:06 pm

mariiha wrote:
wendytheweird wrote:

wendy, you are right. there actually is an oxytocin nasal spary manufactured by a pharmaceutical company for nursing moms to help them release the milk 'let down' reflex

I've heard of that. It's funny, sometimes when I get anxious or upset, dh will say to my youngest (18 mos and still nursing) "Mommy needs you to nurse. Go help mommy." LOL. It's like taking a sedative.

mariiha
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2007, 3:06 pm

wendytheweird wrote:

I've heard of that. It's funny, sometimes when I get anxious or upset, dh will say to my youngest (18 mos and still nursing) "Mommy needs you to nurse. Go help mommy." LOL. It's like taking a sedative.

:P more better! it's natural!

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 6:20 am

I notice the more common Vet grade for IV injection is 20 units per / ml but very cheap
one location 100 ml is $5.95. Assuming it would work as a nasal spray the dose would be 2 ml a day. So that would be quite cheap on daily basis.

http://www.google.com/products?q=Oxytoc ... en&show=dd

I notice a company that has a nasal spray for sale without an rx. If they take discover card I may order some. They do not say on the site its strenght but mention on the

http://www.hugthemonkey.com/oxytocin_th ... index.html site is 20 units per ml.

Quote:
Delaney: OxyCalm contains synthetic oxytocin USP 20 IU/mL, pleasant food-grade vanilla fragrance, USP purified water and Chlorobutanol USP as a preservative. It is very important to note that our oxytocin is chemically synthesized at a US FDA approved manufacturing facility and meets USP specifications. It is not animal or human origin.

The company is http://www.OxyCalm.com

I ordered a 30 ml bottle for $29.95 total so that works out to 15 day supply at $2 daily.
Sounds like they use the same kind of forumla as the IV vet liquid with mere vanillin
added for smell so if the crap is any good I will be looking for a much cheaper source.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 9:29 am

Keep us updated as to the results.I am still looking for something to help me quit smoking and think this might be helpful.$2.00 a day is expensive(for someone making $10.oo an hour,but,still cheaper then niccorette gum(which doesnt help me quit,just subs for a cig when I cant smoke at work)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 9:37 am

krex wrote:
.$2.00 a day is expensive(for someone making $10.oo an hour

I wish I made anything an hour. :) I lost track of time now on how long its been since I had a job I guess 3 years.

Miranda
Raven
Raven

29 May 2007, 9:42 am

mariiha wrote:
SilentJohn wrote:
one of the side affects Ozy Contin seems to have a lot on me is sneezing...i wonder why...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I'd rather have Oxycontin :)

TRUE
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2007, 12:00 pm

This is a copy and paste of a post I made in the Women's Forum on Oxytocin:

------Beginning of paste------
Physical contact, especially that of an intimate (not necessarily sexual) nature, can release things in our bodies that serve to create a bonding experience. Like Oxytocin.

It helps create bonding in mates, in parent-child relationships, can reduce stress, etc. There's a whole ton of information that is out there. Here are a couple of links to get you started:

Oxytocin: The Hormone of Love:
http://www.oxytocin.org/oxytoc/index.html

Bonding Matters: The Chemistry of Attachment:
http://www.babyreference.com/BondingMatters.htm

Being aware of the chemistry in our bodies is a good idea for the future. For gals, and for guys. One might not WANT to have a lot of close contact of a physical nature with someone until they are SURE they want to create a bond.

I don't mean just a sexual bond, because you'll get the emotional part with the sexual part, whether you want it or not. You'll see from just those two linked pages, that results vary in people. Of course they vary.

From the first link:
------Excerpt begin------
Different questionnaires, including the Inventory of Interpersonal Problems and the Adult Attachment Scale, were used to assess each woman's previous experiences with personal and close relationships. The results were significantly correlated with the recorded changes in bloodstream oxytocin levels.

Women whose oxytocin levels rose in response to massage and remembering a positive relationship reported having little difficulty setting appropriate boundaries, being alone, and trying too hard to please others. Women whose oxytocin levels fell in response to remembering a negative emotional relationship reported greater problems with experiencing anxiety in close relationships.
------Excerpt end------

The massage mentioned was neck and shoulder. Nothing sexual. It's all additive and cumulative. Have some bad experiences, it's hard to think of anything else but bad things, so being touched might be creepy, the levels of oxytocin fall, and the response is "get away from me you freak"

Have some good experiences, the level rises with the current good experience, and bonding occurs.

We'd have to add in a gazillion links on how to change our outlook, work on our anxiety, setting boundaries, etc.

We all have different pasts. Different experiences. The same person might have different responses to different people. I mean, I'm not just going to participate at a "feel my boobies" stand, like a lemonade stand. Laughing As in "You can touch me, but not everyone can."

And the same person might have different responses FROM people. As in "My last significant other really liked this, but the new one doesn't."
------End of Paste------

I thought some of the information might be useful for this discussion.

If one is averse to touch, then all that lovely Oxytocin is missed out on. Or if one thinks about touch as being a negative experience. It's complex, because of the other information that has already been mentioned in this thread.

If there was no "reward", because oxytocin wasn't being released, there might be that aversion to touch and social situations.

Then I have questions about wondering if an oxytocin supplement would be that effective. It is released as a reaction to something. To being touched by someone we are to bond with. I don't really want to bond with everyone. :lol:

I don't want to feel that open to anyone's input or touch or approach. I want it to be selective. As nature would have it. So that perhaps it could be used as a short acting thing with an existing couple. But I would hesitate using it in a crowd or group or work or party atmosphere.

We're talking about BONDING here. I don't want to cry every time the store clerk goes home because they are breaking the bond. Or that it's time to leave work, when I have just bonded with the entire floor. That is what would be going on in the mind...that I had just bonded with the entire floor. And that is weird.

I might have missed any mention of that, has anyone thought of that yet?