Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Aperture
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 8:45 am

I've had problems with fatigue since I was in elementary school. It's often had a big effect on my ability to function and get things done. I had to stop taking antidepressants several months ago because the tiredness was making me barely functional; I could get through work but that was about it. The fatigue has been somewhat better since I stopped the medication, but now the stress of several things that are currently going on in my life is kind of wearing me down. Getting enough sleep and exercising seem to make a huge difference in my energy level so I'm trying to make those things a major priority.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 12:19 am

Sure, I get fatigue....I get fatigue after having spent inordinate amounts of time socializing or in crowds of people, or when I've been exposed to a particular sensory trigger for an extended period of time (i.e. loud, continuous noise such as sirens, loud music that I'm not controlling the volume of, etc), when I've gone through most of my day in a fog of anxiety and dread (you know, the kind where you literally feel sick and unable to eat anything, and you almost feel paralyzed but still feel like you HAVE to move) or when I haven't eaten properly all day.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 1:44 am

JSBACHlover wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
I alternate productive vs unproductive days because of this. My last job burned me out quite a bit, but I was able to quit and I'm on a therapist's orders to keep it easy a while. Stress is a huge trigger for me, and finding the right balance has been my concentration lately. Lack of sleep does have a huge effect, and the world won't stop rotating if you clean every other day instead. :) I do find taking a little time off leads to more productivity without feeling so drained, but I realize it's hard to come by sometimes.

Oh my gosh! I go every other day too! I thought this was a bipolar thing but I think it's really an Aspie thing.

That's what I should do? I've got a part time job now which I enjoy but I want to get a full time job. I'm worried if I do that I'll be exhausted. I don't get psychical exhaustion (not that I exercise other than a couple hours walking a day) and I don't get social exhaustion (I used to but I've conditioned myself out of it) but I get mental exhaustion every time I attempt full time study. But I feel like I have to do something more with my life because I can't stand those who cruise through college and easily deal with the work load while still having time for extra curricular or part time work. I can't stand those people who can so easily work a 60 hour week. They're all judging me. I have to get a full time job so people won't think I'm lazy.

Uprising wrote:
I used to have this problem heavily too.

Anti-psychotics were the cause here, so I quit them and started doing mild weight training to get in shape.

Now I feel reborn.

I even prefer getting bullied again in school over having to deal with this fatigue again, it was that bad.

Oh my God, Superman and Colonel Sanders! That's me! I got put onto anti-psychotics when I was 14 and before long I started failing school due to burnout and mental exhaustion. Eventually I got a part time dead end job. I never went to college or had a real career. All this was caused by the anti-psychotics but I didn't know that until recently. Everyone told me I was just lazy and I thought they were right. I thought I just had a poor character. I was exhausted but I thought everyone else must feel this way yet they continue working because they have a stronger will then me. I asked my well off uncle and he said getting through high school was easy. That made me feel even worse because now I thought I'd failed at something easy.

These pills also caused weight gain and gluttony. It's only been three weeks since I took myself off the anti-psychotics and I've lost 8 KG. I have more energy but now I have trouble concentrating and mood swings. It's catch 22! Anyway now that I'm off the anti-psychotics I want to see if I'll have enough energy for full time work or study. At 26 I feel like I'm making a very late start to my career and I still have to see two different career councilors before I can even decide what to do.

Sure I had problems during my adolescence but they should have put me on something like Adderall, not Risperidone. With Adderall I could have had tons of energy and gotten straight As. I wonder if it's too late to start taking it now. Also career counseling should have been provided during my adolescence because I'm indecisive. They have it at other schools so why not mine?