Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2013, 2:05 pm

And are there any commonalities in the way we dream? i think that our dreams can tell us a lot about our waking states and maybe even give us some clarity into rough situations. I use imagery and symbols in my dreams in order to see situations in a different light. They seem weird on the surface, but they're always trying to tell me something, I think (I started keeping track of my dreams in my journal just to have more control and clarity). For example, in one dream, I went into a bathroom, and the one stall had a clogged toilet--with a mermaid hovering above--an illusion, a trick of my brain, that's blocking my judgement. What do you think of this whole idea?

PikachuDenkiNezumi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Oct 2013, 2:14 pm

Well, my dream are nonsensical. I have a recurring dream where my pug grows to the size of Godzilla and terrorizes the town until I give her a Snickers.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 2:17 pm

I think my dreams (and even my nightmares) Are helpful to me. I think they help me process things that are happening in my life.

I always feel better after a good vivid dream.

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Oct 2013, 2:40 pm

My dreams often involve:

*Things happening out of the blue
*Strange animals
*Inanimate objects coming alive
*Being in a bizarre place
*Objects having the properties of some other object
*Finding out that my own existence is an illusion

I don't think those dream signs have anything to do with my autism, though.

Threore
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Oct 2013, 2:45 pm

My dreams generally contain the strongest emotions I felt that day, and stuff I saw that day. From their combination my brain creates a somewhat coherent narrative using those emotions and images. In addition, if a dream goes badly I 'step in' and give myself whatever powers I need to turn the bad dream into a good one.
My most common dream is some situation where there's unfairness going on, I know exactly what's going on and how to fix it but no one listens to me. At that point I step in and grant myself the abilities of flight and telekinesis, after which I use that to enforce what I consider fair.
In the past months though I've often had a dream about my stepdad being angry and leaving, after which I'm just extremely sad. The reason for these dreams is that he and my mother have broken up with a lot of bad feelings. I think the reason I don't interfere with the dream is that I don't know any solution, not even in dreamland.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 2:45 pm

My dreams are long, detailed and very vivid. I see faces and situations. Sometimes I see stories from the beginning to their conclusion and have woken up to write them down. Occasionally, a dream would become a short story.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 3:12 pm

I think keeping a Dream Journal is a good idea, especially for people involved in creative arts.

If you keep pen and notebook next to your bed and write down everything you remember as soon as you open your eyes, you'll find that the more consistently you do this, the more details you will recall, including multiple dreams (the one you just came from and the one before it and the one before that). I kept a journal for over 10 years and the insights and story ideas are amazing and endless.

What was truly fascinating were the experiences in the Dream World that would have seemed impossible in this one, yet demonstrated the capabilities of the brain - like being in two locations at the same time, carrying on separate conversations with different people in each one simultaneously, and being able to coherently engage in both without any sense of confusion whatsoever. :shaking2:

Not to mention fun stuff like transforming into other characters or animals, or flying, like living in a Carlos Castaneda book. Even nightmares are compelling when you can remember them clearly. I had dreams of a sort of Zombie Apocalypse, except the zombies weren't killing anybody, they were just everywhere, walking around and carrying on conversations and having parties as though they didn't know they were dead.

The weirdest thing was a series of dreams about these huge reptilian aliens (in my dreams they were like a violent biker gang), who walked like humanoids and had pointy hooked beaks and claws and stood easily 7 to 9 feet tall. It was more than 5 years later I picked up a book called 'Faces of the Visitors' that featured illustrations of various aliens that UFO abductees had described and there was a drawing of a Reptoid, exactly as I had seen them in my dreams. 8O

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 3:16 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
My dreams are long, detailed and very vivid. I see faces and situations. Sometimes I see stories from the beginning to their conclusion and have woken up to write them down. Occasionally, a dream would become a short story.

I get similar dreams. I never write them down though.

maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 3:45 pm

when I was a kid I used to dream aliens were flushing me down the toilet.

Now I just dream about fighting zombies.

andrewlavigne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2013, 4:04 pm

I've been having a lot of dreams lately where my (deceased) dogs are still alive and they're always sick or hurt. I do not like these dreams.

Sharkbait
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2013, 4:19 pm

I don't recall my dreams anymore. In the past when I would become conscious of dreaming, it was trivial to control what I did. I like flying, especially flying down railroad tracks (as strange as that sounds.) As in. flying along/above the tracks' route, not gliding on them.

It makes me sad that I can't do that anymore. I really enjoy the freedom afforded by lucid dreaming.

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2013, 5:38 pm

I lucid dream every now and then--recently I dreamed I was wearing ballet flats and then i realized I was having a dream--and then I suddenly found I had the ability to balance on my toes, even though I've never ballet danced in my life.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 5:44 pm

lately I am having horrible dreams of insects trying to get into my head through my ears ..I woke up with a start the other day - it was so vivid, but when I looked around there was nothing ...yuck

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 7:45 pm

redrobin62 wrote:

Switch "short story" with "music", and that's me to a tee.

Then I have done my job

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 8:00 pm

mine are few and far between. Sometimes I have dreams that involve being sick... Some are like real life, or rarely, If I have a problem that needs solving in real life, I tend to dream about the solution. :wink:

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 9:07 pm

I dream about my mom (who doesn't speak to me) a lot. I felt like when she "broke up" with me and grieved for a while but managed to deal with it and accept it as for the best. My brain doesn't seem to agree though, these dreams leave me baffled.