Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ColdHand
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2013, 5:46 pm

How incredibly interesting to read all the replies to this one.

My own dreams differ a lot, many of them are very much movie-like, or even videogame-like, including multiple lives x) I often experience things out of more than one perspective.

I also have one of those dreams that reoccur again and again.
It starts with me coming to a stranger town (not always the same one), I need to find something for someone, don't know what or why, and try to ask people for the way, but they're distant and strange and they don't blink. Then at some point, I start running away from someone. Always the same person/guy, that I feel a strange affection for, even though he has a dark, abusive aura.
I run and run and run, and at some point I'm suddenly in a more familiar environment without really noticing. I think someone's with me, a companion, hard to define and not a person; more like Aladin's parrot, or Link's..anything.
Then at the very end, I enter a small store in a small street; it's run by an old(ish) woman who doesn't talk a lot, but whom I apparently know, or who knows friends of mine. My companion knows her, too. Taking his advise, I ask her to let me hide in the shop, against my instincts, I don't trust her at all;
she agrees (silently), and I hide between pieces of clothing.
She always gives me away, and HE comes, and at the end of the dream he stands in front of me but I couldn't possibly say what he looks like. It feels like I've lost a game for the thousandth time; and it feels like obeying, giving in, and I know he's gonna do something to me.

God. Don't you just hate it when you realize how easily your dreams could, and would, be interpreted to fit your condition by the average psychologist?

the only other reoccuring dream I've had in my life is one where a man dressed comletely in black comes into my room. There's nothing strange about it, the room looks 100% realistic and I'm sitting in my bed, exept...I know for sure that the man wants to murder me.
But he's unbelievably clumsy; he trips over EVERYTHING in the whole room, walks circles, silently curses. Since I know I'm gonna die in the end, I roll my eyes at some point, and become impatient, and want him to get it over with. When he reaches my bed in the end, the last thing I thought before waking up was usually "FINALLY. How hard can it be to cross my tiny bedroom!"
....I might have to add I was really really young when I had that dream, 3-5, maybe.

Wags
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2013, 5:55 pm

I've learned new actual words from my dreams.

Also things such as my house, my grandmothers house, school, etc are all altered and that alteration is always the same. (Things such as the kitchen looks different, driveway, the yard, etc) But for some reason that alteration stays, and it's always like that.

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2013, 6:10 pm

Wags wrote:
I've learned new actual words from my dreams.

Also things such as my house, my grandmothers house, school, etc are all altered and that alteration is always the same. (Things such as the kitchen looks different, driveway, the yard, etc) But for some reason that alteration stays, and it's always like that.

That's interesting! I sometimes have dreams where people I know are in different situations or acting in different ways than they would be in real life.

When I was younger I would get, maybe not premonitions, but a foretaste of mundane things that later happened. I once dreamed that I went to some ice cream parlor in New Hampshire... that I later went to with a class trip. I blurted out "I've been here before!" and everyone looked at me weirdly...

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 8:49 pm

Most of my dreams are hyperealistic. They typically involve me engaged in some normal, day-to-day activity, but with something altered or amiss. Sometimes I will wake up and feel like my dream actually happened...it will take me a few minutes to realize that I was just lying in bed all that time! I even had one or two very powerful dreams that completely changed my outlook on life, and are responsible for making me who I am today.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 9:06 pm

sometimes chaotic and lost or panicky, sometimes epic and full of "magic" amazing fun, often nightmarish or worse, sometimes like they are bringing a gift to me, such as the other night when I was watching someone paint in the dream - woke up and realized I could paint that technique now that I watched them do it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 11:17 pm

I agree with the OP that dreams do 'mean' things.

If you have a memorable dream the key is not to ask "what does such and such a thing 'mean'?" What you ask yourself is "what does such and such mean TO ME?". Then it often comes alive with meaning.The symbolism in dreams in very idiosyncratic to the person.

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2013, 3:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I agree with the OP that dreams do 'mean' things.

If you have a memorable dream the key is not to ask "what does such and such a thing 'mean'?" What you ask yourself is "what does such and such mean TO ME?". Then it often comes alive with meaning.The symbolism in dreams in very idiosyncratic to the person.

That's interesting that you say that! Sometimes I think that it's meaningless to try and find meaning, because it's so subjective, but maybe that's the point...

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 3:40 pm

Codyrules37 wrote:
when I was a kid I used to dream aliens were flushing me down the toilet.

Now I just dream about fighting zombies.

Hi Codyrules37,

I only get zombie dreams if I take "Kalms" (a so called natural remedy for stress).
The dreams are horrific, and real night-terrors. With zombies coming through the floor, and the such.
Therefore I do not take kalms.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 9:52 pm

Most of my dreams involve bizarro versions of real-life scenarios. A recurring one I've had is the trying-to-go-home-but-never-getting-home dream. But in general, nothing particularly exciting.

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2013, 11:13 pm

My dreams tend to be vivid. Sometimes so vivid I often times get lost in them and believe them to be some manifestation of a reality. I live other people's lives and my dreams are what fill my short stories because of how vivid and easily I can remember them.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 11:37 pm

Sometimes my dreams seem really involved and I am really into the dream then I wake up and try to go back to sleep and get into the dream where it left off, but does not usually happen. Sometimes it will seem as though I have had the same dream or a similar type of dream before and I will have the dream again. It is really strange.

Often I dream that I am hanging out with my family and I am concerned about my younger sister.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 2:52 am

Willard wrote:
I think keeping a Dream Journal is a good idea, especially for people involved in creative arts.

I used to keep a dream journal before I ran out of time and patience. Looking back through it, it's mostly very disturbing nightmares. Makes sense given what I was dealing with at the time, but it's still freaky to go back and read through all these horrible dreams I'd long since forgotten only to have them come back clearly as soon as I see them on the page.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

kifotv
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2013, 2:56 am

I wonder if anyone else here dreams about flying/weightlessness

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2013, 3:03 pm

kifotv wrote:
I wonder if anyone else here dreams about flying/weightlessness

Yup. I think everyone dreams of flying at some point--it's usually indicative that you feel positive about something. I had them all the time in my senior year of high school when I was waiting for college acceptance letters.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 7:02 pm

Most of my dreams are bizarre and seemingly meaningless.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 7:07 pm

Bizarre