Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Maggot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Oct 2013, 2:47 pm

I recently started back at University again, the prospectus states that the course I'm doing is a collaboration between two departments. When I start, there is a delay because one department doesn't know anything about this, instead of listening to the other students whinging and doing nothing about it, I decide to query it with the department. Things got sorted anyway.

But when I arrived at one department to start my work I was met with confusion. Apparently it's almost like a cold war between these two departments and I was stuck in the middle of it, with one department bitching about the other. Me arriving in this department has opened a can of worms, I was simply wanting to do what it stated on the Prospectus. That was the main reason why I applied for the course. This cost me €5000, so I'm not going to sit around for weeks and listen to the other students complain and do nothing about it. In the end I had to show the lecturer the prospectus where it was written in black and white.

Now my course co-coordinator seems pissed off with me. Anybody else experience something similar?

Last edited by Maggot on 26 Oct 2013, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 3:24 pm

I got told off by an OU lecturer regarding my online posting style.

My contribution to an online theoretical debate was too knowledgeable so I was told to cool it off or post less as a result.

Apparently the other students were intimidated by my level of ability and complained about it.

I left the course and have not bothered studying in mainstream education since.

I remember the days when my tendency to get almost straight A grades resulted in the other students asking me for help with their work. Now I get complaints. It's like being back at school again where I pissed the other kids off because i knew the answers to too many questions in class...

It's not fair you know, asking someone to suppress their ability because people have fragile egos and are upset by it. Alternatively they could put kids (or adults) of equal ability together so that there is no problem with anyone being intimidated by the others.

Stupid education system.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 3:44 pm

I found out I've been approved for Medicaid by my state's DSHS. I just called my Federal disability lawyer to tell him. He said, "It's Saturday!" Well, excuse me. I forgot that normal people work M-F and watch football or go boating on the weekends. Sorry. It won't happen again.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 4:49 pm

bumble wrote:

My contribution to an online theoretical debate was too knowledgeable so I was told to cool it off or post less as a result.

Apparently the other students were intimidated by my level of ability and complained about it.

I remember the days when my tendency to get almost straight A grades resulted in the other students asking me for help with their work. Now I get complaints. It's like being back at school again where I pissed the other kids off because i knew the answers to too many questions in class...

It's not fair you know, asking someone to suppress their ability because people have fragile egos and are upset by it. Alternatively they could put kids (or adults) of equal ability together so that there is no problem with anyone being intimidated by the others.

Stupid education system.

Told off for by a university "lecturer" for being too knowledgeable. And they say we are insane. That lecturer would hate this site

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 4:50 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I found out I've been approved for Medicaid by my state's DSHS. I just called my Federal disability lawyer to tell him. He said, "It's Saturday!" Well, excuse me. I forgot that normal people work M-F and watch football or go boating on the weekends. Sorry. It won't happen again.

Congratulations and use your money wisely.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

realityIs
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Oct 2013, 5:18 pm

bumble wrote:

I experienced a similar thing. My MA thesis had too much information and so I got shot down in getting through review.

I really wish you wouldn't have let that stop you. I thought it was really stupid and was like well then why don't you just read it a little more slowly if it's challenging but in the end I just sort of accepted the requirements and redid my paper.

In your case maybe you could have 1) written out your post and saved it 2) took out the main points 3) posted the main points 4) waited for people to ask about the main points 5) post more of what you wrote I the first place that explained the main points. You might have even said this is just an outline, please inquire for details ...

It's too late now but it bothers me that you had such an experience

realityIs

26 Oct 2013, 5:22 pm

Maggot wrote:
This cost me €5000, so I'm not going to sit around for weeks and listen to the other students complain and do nothing about it. In the end I had to show the lecturer the prospectus where it was written in black and white.

Now my course co-coordinator seems pissed off with me. Anybody else experience something similar?

I might say:

Look, your working style is to flexibly wait until things get sorted out. Me, I use the prospectus to organize my direction. I don't think it is fair to be upset with me for wanting clarity about that. I apologize if you think I should have handled it differently but I think I am justified in wanting something done.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2013, 8:39 am

People costantly tell me I piss them off. I'm so used to hearing it that I no more ask them what I did that pissed them off, I no more try to figure it out on my own and I don't even care anymore.

loosewheel
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2013, 9:07 am

I think that pissing people off is just a part of life. I know it sounds bad. You think why don't they just do what they are supposed to do, and avoid the unnecessary ill will and conflict. I think that this is something that we find difficult because of our “thinking in rules” attitude, and are probably more sensitive to conflict. Most people don't follow rules, they are restrained by rules. They do whatever they think they can get away with. It's just a push and shove type of system. If you've paid money then you are entitled to it. They have a little system where they shove the student, and are used to getting away with it. In this case you shoved back and got what's yours. Your course coordinator is probably just in the middle. He can't refuse you because you're right, and the bigger monkeys on the other side don't like it because they're used to getting away with it. Your course coordinator will probably get over it.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 10:15 am

It seems like I piss other people off all the time, and I am always surprised. :x :( :?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 10:45 pm

I give up. :shrug:

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 11:38 pm

auntblabby wrote:

That's why I don't talk theology or music with most all of my brothers in the priesthood. They either think I'm showing off or a few of them with more normal intelligences try to argue with me by repeating something they learned once by rote. One of my profs would get pissed off at me all the time because I knew more theology than he. He gave me a poor evaluation.

I honestly just gave up and now I ask about their feelings, family, and boring stuff. I'm terribly lonely because of this.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 11:42 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That's why I don't talk theology or music with most all of my brothers in the priesthood. They either think I'm showing off or a few of them with more normal intelligences try to argue with me by repeating something they learned once by rote. One of my profs would get pissed off at me all the time because I knew more theology than he. He gave me a poor evaluation.

I honestly just gave up and now I ask about their feelings, family, and boring stuff. I'm terribly lonely because of this.

are people worth it? doesn't it just make you wanna hermit yourself away from people?

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 11:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
JSBACHlover wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

are people worth it? doesn't it just make you wanna hermit yourself away from people?

Yes. Then I decide to try not to despair, because I do like people seriously I do. I think I'd feel better if I were teaching in the seminary.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 11:45 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
Yes. Then I decide to try not to despair, because I do like people seriously I do. I think I'd feel better if I were teaching in the seminary.

how easy would it be to get a position over there?

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 11:47 pm

Hmm -- we are chasing each other across forums. Good thing because I am bored silly and I kind of like you.

Well, the Archbishop would have to decide that. He likes me, but he wants me to work through some of my anxiety and Asperger's issues first, because he knows how much pressure it can be to teach.