Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shaded
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2013, 8:35 pm

My experiences with dating sites have been mixed. It's an entirely different environment. More like a catalog. I was enthusiastic once I started online dating; lengthy profiles, completing relationship tests, elegant messages, constantly checking for new profiles. But I've wised up about it. And ironically, the first relationship I've ever been in, was a person I met off Craigslist.

I have been on POF, DH, MeetMe, and OKC. You'll get laid quicker on DateHookup and MeetMe (if that's your intent as a man).

Four Things guys need to know about OLDing:

Attraction is always a factor (no surprise there, goes for both genders)
If you are under 6'0" you won't even show up in most women's search criteria
If you don't have a job and car, forget it. No job + no car = a bum
Women actually do get around 100 emails a day (The men outnumber the women)

I would not recommend diving too deep into OLDing especially if you take rejection and alienation personally. You'll begin to get cynical (like I am). Not all women or men are bad. But when it comes to OLDing guys have to step their game up. The possibilities are limitless in the real world vs the online world.

Knight seems just right around the corner in my dreams...

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 9:16 pm

Good advice!

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 9:22 pm

Years ago in the day of dial up bulletin boards, one guy told me about setting up a dating profile for a woman out of curiosity. He said that for the time he paid attention to the account, it was getting at least five or ten messages every day, some pretty demanding. And that was just a dialup board active in only one city.

TreeShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2013, 9:23 pm

Sounds pretty accurate, except the part about women not being interested if you're under 6 feet tall. I can't say that I, or any other women in my life, have ever mentioned height as being that important. Maybe we're just less shallow than average or something, but I honestly don't think that many women care about height.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 10:16 pm

Unless we're tall and were called "The Jolly Green Giant" all through school because of it. :?

A man being under 6' is not a deal-breaker for me, but I'm definitely initially more attracted to taller guys because of my past experiences of being mocked for being a girl and being taller than everyone else in my class (with 3 years of being the tallest kid in the whole school). Doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed being with shorter men, but they always seemed to be gazing longingly at the petite women. Or worse, dumping me for one of them.

Shaded
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2013, 2:29 pm

You are right about the height. I don't think it is a big factor as many make it. A guy actually pointed that out to me and it did make sense. If a guy who is 5'10" or something messages a woman I don't think it is a total big deal. But for most women when they enter the search requirements (give or take) its 5'11" and up. But I don't think height is much a big deal. There are many women who love wearing heels and they don't want to be taller than their guy. Lol

Shaded
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2013, 2:34 pm

eric76 wrote:
Years ago in the day of dial up bulletin boards, one guy told me about setting up a dating profile for a woman out of curiosity. He said that for the time he paid attention to the account, it was getting at least five or ten messages every day, some pretty demanding. And that was just a dialup board active in only one city.

If guys are going to email a lady they need to stand out more. Because tons of guys are emailing the women. So the competition is great. I'd say send at least 2 messages to them. If they don't reply on the 2nd one then you know she's not interested.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

07 Nov 2013, 2:37 pm

Shaded wrote:
My experiences with dating sites have been mixed. It's an entirely different environment. More like a catalog. I was enthusiastic once I started online dating; lengthy profiles, completing relationship tests, elegant messages, constantly checking for new profiles. But I've wised up about it. And ironically, the first relationship I've ever been in, was a person I met off Craigslist.

I have been on POF, DH, MeetMe, and OKC. You'll get laid quicker on DateHookup and MeetMe (if that's your intent as a man).

Four Things guys need to know about OLDing:

Attraction is always a factor (no surprise there, goes for both genders)
If you are under 6'0" you won't even show up in most women's search criteria
If you don't have a job and car, forget it. No job + no car = a bum
Women actually do get around 100 emails a day (The men outnumber the women)

I would not recommend diving too deep into OLDing especially if you take rejection and alienation personally. You'll begin to get cynical (like I am). Not all women or men are bad. But when it comes to OLDing guys have to step their game up. The possibilities are limitless in the real world vs the online world.

The second and third one = me. I'm 5'9" (Why, oh, why did I have to be a shorty?), but I am working on getting a job, which may eventually lead me to get my own car. :)

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Shaded
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2013, 2:51 pm

That's the thing. 5'9" isn't even short. Lol I am 5'11" or 6'0". I love tall women. I'd date one who's 7 feet honestly.
And I usually lie about my job. I get money but its none of their business how I get it as long as it's not super illegal or harming anyone.
I stay in a city where if you don't have a car its like you're a total lame. But I am not getting a car just to get a woman. I'll get one on my own terms.

nicholaswojtas12
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2018, 8:23 pm

Hey Guys,

I just found out a few years ago that I have Aspergers. I have been dating for many years and have gotten a lot of great first dates but nothing set in stone. I actually haven't had a girlfriend now for 8 to 10 years. It's been difficult, I have felt very lonely. It seems that any girls I date "just want to be friends." Its been this way the last 10 years but I just can't figure out what I'm missing here. I have a close friend who was my very first girlfriend at 16 years old. She has never gotten over me and I still talk to her in tough times. She keeps telling me that the girls I am dating are really missing out every time they say they just want to be friends. She says they wouldn't say that or be so quick to judge you if they knew you the way I do. I asked her through texting, what is it that she sees in me that all these other girls miss or just don't see? She said "You are kind, gentle, polite and the list goes on and on." She unfortunately is married but wishes she could date me anyway. I can't do that. I'm trying dating sites such as Plenty of Fish, OkCupid, and now more serious ones like Match and EHarmony. I have not had any success yet. I have come so close but it always ends up as "I just want to be friends." In Highschool I felt I didn't need a girlfriend and I had girls asking me out like crazy. I was too shy to doing much about it though. I dated a girl I knew since Elementary School and we were together for 4 years. It was a rough relationship though as she could be very mean, she liked hanging around her Guy friends and pretty much let them do anything they wanted to her. She had no problem flirting with them in front of me. After 4 years I asked her to move with me which she thought about then refused. Since then I just haven't been able to find/ have a steady girlfriend. They all "Just want to be friends." One girl who I dated recently, we had a great date but at the same time she did a few things I didn't like, she talked about a male co-worker in front of me, she said I was socially awkward, when I mentioned my Aspergers she laughed and said "Like Sheldon." On the positive side, we kissed, hugged, cuddled, she said she loved kissing, hugging and cuddling me. She was so pretty. She couldn't take her hands off me during the date. Then two days later she said she didn't think we were a good fit and once again, we should just be friends. I tried talking to her, saying "Are you sure we couldn't try just one more time? I really like you." She then blocked me on Facebook after I sent 5 messages. I had said stuff like "Please don't forget me. If you ever change your mind, I'm right here <3" Where am I going wrong? People tell me that I didn't do anything wrong but I just don't understand why this keeps happening. I have also had girls say that I was the nicest and most polite guy that they ever met but I wasn't what they wanted. There have been times too that I have gotten desperate over the last 10 years from being so lonely as well as from OCD. Guys, where am I going wrong? - Nick

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 4:18 am

My experience with online dating has been pretty good.

exy34
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2018, 11:34 am

I have nice experiences with Tinder and Bumble, but even more better with some hookup sites I discovered a few years ago, I suppose that is about lack of competition or something like that.

Modern dating, I mean all those technologies, sites, appsand messangers make easier to approach and find a partner for sex, relationship, marriage, whatever. Just my 2 cents, and my experiences...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 4:59 pm

Well I never got even close to 100 messages on a daily basis, at most maybe I'd get a few messages in a week. So i am still fairly convinced that it has to be more typical/normal outgoing type women who get tons of messages...not so much odd outlier women with aspergers or who just don't fit in the norm very much.

I met my boyfriend on Okcupid, and so all and all I think the site was worth it for both of us.

Before I met him I got led on a few times, or things didn't work out with guys I met so those were not great experiences. Also, from time to time I'd get gross hook-up messages but I just didn't respond to those. Or some guys I'd start talking to and the conversation would fizzle out before we'd make any plans to meet which could be a bit frusterating. So yeah there were downsides but I also met my boyfriend I've been with around 3 years now.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 10:43 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:

Bad , old thread, bad retro, bad

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 11:38 pm

sly279 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

exy34
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2018, 12:57 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Lol, good one :)

He is so cute :)