i'm less than the average nt at standing up for myself 29%  29%  [ 36 ]
i'm terrible at it, really 42%  42%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 126

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 3:14 pm

I voted for being terrible at it...and I am. :(

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 4:27 pm

kx250rider wrote:
It depends on what kind of situation we're talking about, as to whether or not I'm likely to stand up for myself. I don't like confrontation, so I'm likely to let most things go by. But I DO notice it when someone, or a business, starts to build up a list of things they are doing or saying, which I should respond to with a strong defense. I pick my battles wisely, I think. What I mean is that if there's somebody who takes advantage of me somehow, and it's a one-time thing, I'll just let it go. But if it happens again and again, sooner or later I'll confront them about all of the those added up, and tell them in a businesslike and matter-of-fact way, that it either will change, or I'll stop having anything to do with that person (or business). To me, it's easier to just let it go than to confront and need to settle every little thing. I'm not saying that's the healthiest way to do it, and I'm aware that there are sometimes negatives to my way of handling these things.

As far as a physical challenge from someone, luckily I haven't been confronted with that much at all. I prefer 100% to talk my way out, and let the other person have the glory of a default win, but if I had to, I'd try my best to physically defend myself. An advantage to being a 200-lb bodybuilder is that most other men won't try anything physical as long as I don't back down and act afraid. A few years ago, we had to fire a woman who was working at our horse ranch, and her boyfriend came with her on the last day to stir up trouble. I was sitting in a chair, and he insulted my wife, and then she started yelling at him to butt out (none of his business). He was a cowboy-type; probably had been drinking, and was average size. All I had to do was stand up and walk toward him, and he backed off. Truth be known; I've never been in a fight in my 46 years of life, and I have no idea how to fight.

Charles

i'm exactly the other way around! i'm a five feet two female, and at least in my youth i wieghted about a hundred and eight or hundred and four, dont remember. i have this sweet face. but i had to carry a knife and hold it to gangsters' throats when the circled me. i learned self defense and was very good at it. people can be small and strong, and size have nothing to do with strength. i have no idea at all whatsoever how to look intimidating, and everyone picks on me because of it.
my brother is very small and skinny, suspected mildly aspie, but i've seen him as a child beating the daylight out of much bigger and heavier kids, sometimes two at a time, with no problems. he's so strong and quick. he's also peaceful and kind, but had to defend himself, because he doesnt look intimidating enough.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 4:28 pm

sorry for posting the same thing twice, computer error. it's not me, it's the computer. it's never me, always the computer...

redfames
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Nov 2013, 12:06 am

I am very good at defending myself - I need to teach my husband assertive skills. I can get aggressive too - I remember when I was walking to the shops and these mean girls shouted in a passing car how hard is it to walk with all that weight on your legs. I am 5'1 and 83 kg and I just swore at them because I was so mad at them :x

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 12:49 am

I'm very good at it. In fact, I usually am the one standing up for my friends, who are all NT. I'm kind of a b***h, really. I'm ok with that though. I used to be a wimp and it sucked, so I'd rather somebody dislike me for something I did that for just something I am. Oddly enough, some people like the bitchiness.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 10:33 pm

Sometimes.

I know I have once or twice before.

Pabbicus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Nov 2013, 11:57 pm

Only if I drink. Which is a big problem.

aja675
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2016, 11:11 pm

I don't think so, and I wish I were capable of it.

aja675
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2016, 11:17 pm

When I try to stand up for myself, people end up thinking, "Why is this psycho b***h shouting at me?" I end up looking like a fool as a result.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 11:38 pm

Unfortenutely under stress i cannot communicate through words so i hit, kick, bite, punch, scream and cry when someone is causing me trouble.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 11:45 pm

yoloswag mofoz

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 11:58 pm

Online I am pretty fierce standing up for myself and others. But not at all in real life.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 3:56 am

No, as I get upset and my emotions get the better of me.

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2016, 4:05 am

Depends on the situation and my level of health how much sleep ive had lately and other factors.

If i feel confident yeah no problem, particularly online im good at biting back hehe *some of the crap ive had to deal with on game forums*

In public im not sure, im not someone that goes looking for trouble but then im a different man today as well pretty bulked up and able to defend myself unlike i was years ago. I actually hate being in public partly because im forced to be surrounded by people of lower intelligence *typical in nz*

Im not Chuck Norris thats for sure haha.

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2016, 4:08 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
No, as I get upset and my emotions get the better of me.

I used to be a bit like this, if someone was annoying me would just go into total meltdown. Maybe its cause im older im not sure but i definitely am more in control today. Lately ive been trying to use anger caused from defeat in games constructively im trying to improve my tactics and analyze what i did wrong.

Not always that easy as i want to find the person that beat me and *beat* them lol. But yeah a wise man knows to use anger as a tool.

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2016, 4:16 am

EzraS wrote:
Online I am pretty fierce standing up for myself and others. But not at all in real life.

Perhaps its because barbarians are like civilized apes?

I said on a few occasions to friends "If the entire world was run by Aspergers men and women all public transport would work like clockwork it would always be on time it would almost never breakdown and would be advanced and efficient in not only its power use but also wear on mechanics and other associated parts."

Prob we'd be long colonized mar's by now as well as most of the milky way. Sadly much of the world is run by greedy lunatics.