Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

chrisc1995
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2013, 5:58 pm

I must be the only person who emails more than Facebook's. I only keep my Facebook just to keep in touch with my friend's who never check their emails or who use their email for business more than personal chatting.

What is everyone's take on this? Do you prefer emailing or Facebooking? Would you ever exchange your emails with someone on this site?

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 6:09 pm

Have to admit Facebook is making me lazy. If it's super long I save it for emails, seems to be the thing to do.
If it's brief or I can cut down the text, Facebook all the way.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 6:13 pm

I actually don't like personal emails or Facebook. I really only have accounts open for business purposes. All the social networking I do is on WP anyway.

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 6:22 pm

Facebook is plainly the work of The Evil One, and I have decided that I shall have nothing to do with it.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 6:39 pm

Yeah I prefer emails for most things, I don't do anything much in terms of social conversation with any form of medium... With the exception of Skype if it is necessary.

I don't do much with non-computerized forms of communications like telephones, and other written types of communications.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 6:47 pm

I agree that Facebook is evil (as well as annoying); I do not have an account. I use email, but not much for socializing because I only have one friend, her life is busy, and I don't think that we have much to discuss anyhow. Like redrobin, WP is pretty much the only place I socialize, except for responding to the occasional comments on my blog.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 8:59 pm

I tend to have mixed feelings about e-mail.

It is useful when kept under control but can become far too time consuming to keep up.

If you only exchange occasional e-mails from a small number of people with days or weeks between e-mails, the tendency to check it less and less often grows. Before long, people quit sending e-mails because it is clear you have quit reading their e-mails.

On the other hand, if you join several mailing lists, the amount of e-mail can become overwhelming. I subscribe to a few technical mailing lists. After a while, I need a break from them and then the break grows until sometimes I don't even check the e-mail for months at a time.

The worst is if the spammers find the address and add it to their lists. When the spams outnumber the legitimate e-mail, it is real easy to just quit checking the e-mail at all.

bjcirceleb
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Nov 2013, 11:49 pm

I hate facebook, but could not live without email.

I use email as my primary form of communication. I just get too confused when having to speak to people, so when it is in writing I can digest it all.

Life is so much easier now that email has become accepted by so many more places.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 4:00 am

Email is my preferred form of communication. Except when people who forward stupid s**t in HTML get your address.

I've never had a Facebook account and never will. I had a MySpace account back when it was popular and my friends wanted me to make one. I eventually closed it because my friends were all rednecks who only talked about dirt bikes and their truck-boat-trucks.

eric76 wrote:
On the other hand, if you join several mailing lists, the amount of e-mail can become overwhelming. I subscribe to a few technical mailing lists. After a while, I need a break from them and then the break grows until sometimes I don't even check the e-mail for months at a time.

It's easy to maintain if you automatically sort it and use a good client. (i.e., stop using webmail :P)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 10:18 am

I quit Facebonk years ago. It felt like being in the wrong room all the time. It certainly seems to have killed the listservs I used to enjoy, but it is a huge step back as a way to exchange technical information. I prefer to keep all my correspondence filed on one email client, so I can plagarize myself conveniently. That's why I went missing from here for months.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 12:27 pm

I prefer using e-mails. The notion that everyone is switching to social media for their correspondence and are thereby coaxing/forcing the few stragglers like us to follow suit is kind of annoying. I'm surprised to see so many others here who dislike Facebook. I tried it no less than 4 times. I just kept closing my account when I learned once more that I simply wasn't using Facebook. I never had more than 6 or so friends. I abhor the layout and I find none of the features appealing. I prefer message boards like this one for my online exchanges.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 12:35 pm

Personally, I prefer using e-mails over Facebook. I don't have a Facebook account, and I don't plan on getting one either, as I believe that Facebook is an invasion on privacy IMO.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 11:20 am

I prefer e-mails, I don´t even have a facebook account and I don´t plan to have one because I think e-mail is good enough to keep contact with others via internet.