problem understanding instructions, directions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 4:43 pm

problem understanding what people are saying to you in general? happens to me on slight occasions only, and then i blank out. a very frustrating experience. not black out, i dont faint, i just... kinda drift away a bit.
instructions and directions are very confusing and complex.

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:01 pm

Yes, I do very much. I blank out afterwards as well. This was I think the very first thing I began to question on the internet before I learned that I have Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD.
It is VERY frustrating.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:05 pm

not most of the time, but very occasionally this happens and it really freaks me out. Like people are suddenly speaking some other wordly language. Brrr. I'm also very bad at receiving oral instruction, as in do this and than do that - for some reason it makes me instantly super angry and the blind rage behind my eyes makes it difficult to think or process further information. It's very embarrassing and scary because there doesn't seem to be a way to stop it. :oops: :(

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:18 pm

I have no problem if its written down but if its verbal its in one ear and out the other

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:29 pm

Just a daily aspie example of sensory overload. Whether it's ambient background noise that suddenly seems amplified to the point that the brain focuses on the 'roaring silence' and misses everything else, or whether it's being overwhelmed by one's own sudden sense of self-consciousness to the level at which surrounding reality suddenly seems unreal or surreal, the effect is the same.

What did you just say? Could you draw me a map, I don't think I can remember that. :oops:

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:37 pm

Yeah... I've always had significant problems with verbal and sometimes written instructions and directions.

Verbally, its hard to process and understand at all like instructions for a job, asking or giving for directions is a no-go area I find I can't often remember even places I've grown up in, let alone giving a stage by stage account on how to get to places.

If I'm able to wright my own instructions form verbal communication can elevate the issue somewhat, other wise it has to be put into as much layman's terms as possible. Written directions are easier if there's pictured landmarks, sometimes I have to rely on Sat-Nav for any mode of travel to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. Big anxieties do revolve getting lost and being unable to communicate properly to where to go.

Sometimes my Rhoslyn self helps in the remembering of significant landmarks like various shop fronts until I get it down myself into memory. A process that could take weeks or months depending if it is a regular trip and the further the trip is.

I've helped PD with various routes, I often remember shop fronts like hairdresser, clothing and clubs along the route. It helps start a roadmap between PD's own routes :)

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Last edited by PerfectlyDarkTails on 10 Nov 2013, 5:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2013, 5:40 pm

Yeah, I can't deal with long strings of verbal instructions. It's one of the reasons why I don't like asking for instructions; I know I'll never be able to sort them out straight.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 6:06 pm

LucySnowe wrote:
Yeah, I can't deal with long strings of verbal instructions. It's one of the reasons why I don't like asking for instructions; I know I'll never be able to sort them out straight.

This is sometimes a problem for me too, particularly if something else in the room--or if my own thought process--has my attention. When this happens, I'll walk away then go, "wait, what am I supposed to do?"

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 6:18 pm

If I do not understand because of central auditory processing difficulties (i.e. cannot understand what words they are saying), I ask them to "write it out as I am having trouble understanding what they are saying", and say I have "hearing" problem even though that is technically inaccurate, but it conveys my problem.

If it is remembering a to-do verbal instruction, or list I make sure to write it down myself, perhaps asking them to repeat it so I can write it down. I then read it back to them to make sure I did not miss anything, telling them "So I will not forget something".

Either way, I get it into writing, and I have a designated spot in my purse for such notes so I can reference them often.

Most people are sympathetic to forgetting accidentally and appreciate you taking measures to prevent that. Most people are also sympathetic to hearing problems and are willing to writing something down for you (preferable to asking them to repeat it over and over again).

As for "blanking out" it might be attention problems, like ADD. (or just missing the words to auditory problems)

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 6:45 pm

Working memory is a big problem for me. If I ask for driving directions I need it written down so I can follow it one step at a time otherwise I will get through the first step and not remember what comes next.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 6:57 pm

I just assume they're the ones with the problem if they can't communicate simple instructions.
Maybe they haven't thought about it before, maybe they are InstructoTards, maybe they don't even know the basic premise. Maybe it's their first time giving those instructions, maybe they don't really know what they're instructing about.

Anyway if they're InstructoTards it's not my fault, so I panic less.

andrewlavigne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2013, 7:26 pm

Willard wrote:
Just a daily aspie example of sensory overload. Whether it's ambient background noise that suddenly seems amplified to the point that the brain focuses on the 'roaring silence' and misses everything else, or whether it's being overwhelmed by one's own sudden sense of self-consciousness to the level at which surrounding reality suddenly seems unreal or surreal, the effect is the same.

Wow, you just described two common experiences for me.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 7:27 pm

PerfectlyDarkTails wrote:
Yeah... I've always had significant problems with verbal and sometimes written instructions and directions.

Verbally, its hard to process and understand at all like instructions for a job, asking or giving for directions is a no-go area I find I can't often remember even places I've grown up in, let alone giving a stage by stage account on how to get to places.

If I'm able to wright my own instructions form verbal communication can elevate the issue somewhat, other wise it has to be put into as much layman's terms as possible. Written directions are easier if there's pictured landmarks, sometimes I have to rely on Sat-Nav for any mode of travel to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. Big anxieties do revolve getting lost and being unable to communicate properly to where to go.

Sometimes my Rhoslyn self helps in the remembering of significant landmarks like various shop fronts until I get it down myself into memory. A process that could take weeks or months depending if it is a regular trip and the further the trip is.

I've helped PD with various routes, I often remember shop fronts like hairdresser, clothing and clubs along the route. It helps start a roadmap between PD's own routes :)

you know what helped me a lot for landmarks for my local area was just looking at stuff on google maps, it let me see how the streets are in like a big grid and you can see what things around the roads look like unlike a regular map

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 8:13 pm

only when spoken.

everything needs to be in text and/or pictures for me to understand it.