Working two jobs. . . Anybody else doing it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Finchel_Gleek
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2013, 12:41 am

I am currently getting hired in for a second job. My primary job is one that I love: I work in an assisted living community taking care of seniors. It can be a little stressful sometimes and also a little sad, especially when you have to deal with the Alzheimer's and Dementia residents who don't remember much (if anything) at all. It's heartbreaking to see them try so hard to remember things and they just can't do it. For the most part, though, it is a fun job. I love going to work and seeing my residents. There are many of them who I have become very close to, and they have become like my grandparents, often offering me advice on life and how to deal with things. Some of them will tell me they love me and will give me hugs every day. I have also learned a lot from them. Many of them have led very interesting lives. We had one resident who actually lived and worked in Beverly Hills at a pharmacy, and she was very good friends with Ronald Reagan. She had pictures of the two of them together. She told me that he used to always tell people he was going to run for President of the United States, and nobody believed him until he did win; and won!

My second job that I'm starting is quite interesting in the terms of how got it, as it's somewhere I've already worked at. From 2005-2007 I worked at Kmart. I started out as a cashier, but then after I'd been there for a little while, I started covering in the other departments and up at the Service Desk, and eventually I was moved from cashiering to Apparel. The only departments I did not work in are the pharmacy and in the K Cafe. I loved working there, but I ended up quitting because my hours kept getting cut really bad. I had accepted a job at Walmart as a cashier (very bad mistake, but that's another story for another time) for more hours and more pay. About a month ago, I was informed that I will not be able to get more than 30 hours a week at work anymore, so I decided to start looking for another job where I can work an extra 10-15 hours a week. I started filling out applications, and I decided to reapply at Kmart. I figured they probably wouldn't call me, since when I worked there before I didn't give them my two weeks' notice when I quit, but last week I received a call from the HR manager who knows me. She wanted me to come in for an interview, so I did. I got there and she said "I'm not even going to bother interviewing you. You've been through all of that already. Do you want to come back to work here? Because if you do, I'm just gonna hire you." Of course I said yes. I really need the money, She hired me back in for a cashier position again. I'm excited for it, but a little nervous, too. I've worked three retail jobs, including the first time at Kmart, and I enjoyed all of them.

Anybody else working more than one job? :)

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 12:49 am

Finchel_Gleek wrote:
I am currently getting hired in for a second job. My primary job is one that I love: I work in an assisted living community taking care of seniors. It can be a little stressful sometimes and also a little sad, especially when you have to deal with the Alzheimer's and Dementia residents who don't remember much (if anything) at all. It's heartbreaking to see them try so hard to remember things and they just can't do it. For the most part, though, it is a fun job. I love going to work and seeing my residents. There are many of them who I have become very close to, and they have become like my grandparents, often offering me advice on life and how to deal with things. Some of them will tell me they love me and will give me hugs every day. I have also learned a lot from them. Many of them have led very interesting lives. We had one resident who actually lived and worked in Beverly Hills at a pharmacy, and she was very good friends with Ronald Reagan. She had pictures of the two of them together. She told me that he used to always tell people he was going to run for President of the United States, and nobody believed him until he did win; and won!

My second job that I'm starting is quite interesting in the terms of how got it, as it's somewhere I've already worked at. From 2005-2007 I worked at Kmart. I started out as a cashier, but then after I'd been there for a little while, I started covering in the other departments and up at the Service Desk, and eventually I was moved from cashiering to Apparel. The only departments I did not work in are the pharmacy and in the K Cafe. I loved working there, but I ended up quitting because my hours kept getting cut really bad. I had accepted a job at Walmart as a cashier (very bad mistake, but that's another story for another time) for more hours and more pay. About a month ago, I was informed that I will not be able to get more than 30 hours a week at work anymore, so I decided to start looking for another job where I can work an extra 10-15 hours a week. I started filling out applications, and I decided to reapply at Kmart. I figured they probably wouldn't call me, since when I worked there before I didn't give them my two weeks' notice when I quit, but last week I received a call from the HR manager who knows me. She wanted me to come in for an interview, so I did. I got there and she said "I'm not even going to bother interviewing you. You've been through all of that already. Do you want to come back to work here? Because if you do, I'm just gonna hire you." Of course I said yes. I really need the money, She hired me back in for a cashier position again. I'm excited for it, but a little nervous, too. I've worked three retail jobs, including the first time at Kmart, and I enjoyed all of them.

Anybody else working more than one job? :)

I did that for many years. At one time, I worked 3 jobs, just to make ends meet.

Finchel_Gleek
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2013, 7:08 pm

Same here. It really sucks when the cost of living is so much more than than the wages from working!

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 8:41 pm

Did the same thing for the same reasons - 2 jobs to pay my way.
Sounds like you're going a good way about it in having 2 jobs that are different from each other and offer diversity.
I don't know if I could ever do it again but if I did it would probably be the same as you - some retail and something different from it.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 8:53 pm

Hmm... I can't physically or mentally handle two consecutive jobs without illness or to risk significant injury. Tried working while still in education, made me breakdown. :(

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135