Yes 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
No 97%  97%  [ 124 ]
Total votes : 128

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 3:32 pm

Thank you PlainsAspie.

And I guess we should point out that even the 4% spent on services is going to include some overhead!

Now, there is a chance some patient people can help to reform Autism $peaks, but I don't think we should count on it.

I think we need to form our own organizations, embracing our mistakes along the way. And eventually we will have a quiltwork of organizations run by and for persons on the spectrum and that's a pretty good place to be.

And yes, goodhearted professionals, including CPAs (Chartered Accountants in the UK) can help out, but they don't get to run the show. And in particular, in our own organizations mental health professionals do not get to run the show.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 3:55 pm

And as a potential slogan, maybe something like this:

"We are all middle-functioning!"

Ohdannyboy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2014, 3:57 pm

No because autism speaks says autism is a tragedy, a disease, an epidemic it is not, it's who I am. They say they want to cure autism but that would take away from me a huge part of who I am. Autism speaks doesn't speak for me!

elysian1969
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2014, 4:21 pm

What really shocked me about Autism Speaks is that (apart from the fact the leadership is comprised primarily of neurotypical people) they insist that there is such thing as a "cure." A cure for how one's brain is wired? There is no mention of the advantages that can come from being on the spectrum. I'm a hyperlexic who speed reads, for example. In their literature (and I've read a lot of it) Autism Speaks portrays autistic kids throughout the spectrum as basket cases who will ruin their parents' lives and who will never be productive, well-adjusted people. Oh, pity be on those poor parents with those basket case kids who can't behave themselves. Oh, those children who just can't learn or participate, or be expected to do anything, on and on. I found much of their literature a bit pandering and even nauseating at times. Not everyone on the spectrum is non-verbal and/or cognitively disabled.

My parents had no idea what Asperger's/HFA was. They knew I had issues with social functioning and physical coordination, and severe problems with fear and anxiety. However, since I was capable of academic achievement, they had even higher standards for me than for my neurotypical sisters. I had to learn how to work the wiring I was given in order to survive- and I'm thankful they made me do the things I needed to do.

If anyone wants to help people with high functioning autism meet their potential, then the message needs to be that we can find ways to navigate in this world with the wiring we're given, and to capitalize on our strengths.

My son is neurotypical (and one of those ineffable extroverts to boot- I'm the Aspie surrounded by "normals") but the goals of parenting are the same as far as I'm concerned:

Is your child, upon reaching adulthood:

Potty Trained?
Literate?
Gainfully Employed?

Behavioral therapy is fine to teach coping and navigational skills, but even at 45 years old, I have to use different tactics than neurotypical people to get things done and get around in this world. I am a traveler, not a native- and that's OK. But I am not "diseased" or "defective." So I am very leery of Autism Speaks and the message they're sending. How about helping those of us on the spectrum be the best we can be?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 6:18 am

No, because I see the negative results of the bile they reinforce in this forum everyday.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

elysian1969
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2014, 1:44 pm

I survived the 1970s too.

Try being a hyperlexic in a mainstream school. I had two second-grade teachers almost get in a fist fight in the hall on the first day of school because neither of them wanted me in her class. In first grade the teacher was teaching out of a beginning reading primer called, My Friend Tag. By that time I'd already read the entire set of my parents' Encyclopedia Brittanicas, had my own subscription to Scientific American as well as free access to everything in the public library. I corrected teachers' spelling and introduced them to a number of new vocabulary words (not dirty, I just had a rather extensive vocabulary for a five year old.) School was boring. Painfully boring- except for being terrifying when the other kids (including my own sisters) were beating the crap out of me.

All I can say about autism advocacy is: You want to help people on the spectrum? What about teaching personal responsibility and problem solving? Teach navigational skills. Teach people how to cope and how to survive in the real world. Encourage kids to use their strengths to mitigate their weaknesses. Why encourage people to see themselves as "damaged" or even worse, "victims?"

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2014, 3:13 pm

I don't support Autism Speaks at all.

I can understand that many parents with autistic sons or daughters (especially low-functioning) have daily struggles looking after their children and trying to meet their needs. However, Autism Speaks' description of our condition makes it sound like a massive epidemic, where it turns people into opportunity-killing monsters.

Sometimes I think autism is a right pain in the bum; I wish I could talk to people without saying something stupid before thinking, and my hodgepodge thoughts and mixed-up senses are quite annoying when I want to focus on something clearly. But I don't want to lose hope. I don't want to be cured. It's too easy a way out, and it pretty much defeats the object of me working hard over the past few years to get to where I am now. Their propaganda is far from helpful. In fact, I think it's pretty insulting.

A decent charity doesn't try to demoralise or demonise those with the diseases or conditions they're about.
A decent charity doesn't attempt to speak for all those with the condition.
A decent charity doesn't base their arguments on merely speculated theories and statistics.
A decent charity doesn't use scare tactics to get other people to believe what they say.

Autism Speaks does all of the above.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 3:25 pm

I support Autism Speaks, but only on a once a year basis. I actually donated part of my tax return to it last April.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 7:42 pm

What part of "no" is so hard for people to understand?
If you support Autism $peaks, you may as well be supporting the KKK or Nazis or any other hate group.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Dec 2014, 8:22 pm

I do not support Autism Speaks.

I have not and will not support Autism Speaks.

I speak for myself.

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Dec 2014, 8:09 pm

I'm for a cure but not if it it erases your personality, memories and thoughts you think. I find it's not possible because of the brain of ASD people. Autism Speaks lost my respect after the 'I Am Autism' video

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 12:35 am

Korin wrote:
I'm for a cure but not if it it erases your personality, memories and thoughts you think. I find it's not possible because of the brain of ASD people. Autism Speaks lost my respect after the 'I Am Autism' video

What video is this?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 12:39 am

Kenya wrote:
Korin wrote:

What video is this?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 12:46 am

Ganondox wrote:
Kenya wrote:
Korin wrote:

What video is this?

Aw hell no. f**k this s**t. See if they ever get another penny from me again.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2014, 2:33 am

OH SWEET LOVE OF JESUS.

I.... I can't believe that.... no.... f*** me.