How to Find Intellectually Stimulating Types in Small Towns?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 8:19 pm

This is something that is driving me nuts. I can't find one damned person I have something in common with. It seems like most the people are backwoods, and there is no intellectual capital where I live. I would move, but I am finishing up school. In the mean time I am applying for almost anything but cashier and fast food places (which seems to be the predominate jobs I see online). People say network, but with who? That is another issue though. I guess how do you find intellectually stimulating dates? I wish I had some money so I could at least go whore it up some place. IDK anymore. :( . So far I have adopted the whack a mole approach, but I never get past the first date. Any thoughts?

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 8:35 pm

Bus 'em in.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 8:38 pm

You don't. I know how you feel though, because I was in the same situation for some time.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 8:44 pm

At this rate a Filipino chick or Asian in general looks appetizing lol (the mentality is about the same, except the Asian's tend to be more open, but I would put up with some of the differences.). Or heck even Latin. If it were not for child support it seems like that idea is a good one. But if I am going to do anything permanent, it seems like a good idea to move some place else. CL is kinda sucking as well. I am thinking of moving. Maybe if I get a job I could hi tailor it up to Canada :D .

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2013, 8:58 pm

Http://www.meetup.com is your best bet. Look for book groups or even stuff like yoga or anything that brings out the brainiacs. You might have to drive a bit further out though. Btw someone being from a different culture doesn't mean they're going to be more intellectual.

http://sites.google.com/site/esotericresearch Esoteric Research Press

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 9:03 pm

EsotericResearch wrote:
Http://www.meetup.com is your best bet. Look for book groups or even stuff like yoga or anything that brings out the brainiacs. You might have to drive a bit further out though. Btw someone being from a different culture doesn't mean they're going to be more intellectual.
I understand, but they at least seem to be warmer ( I could be wrong). I guess all things being equal, I would rather have an average person that at least is warm and friendly than just an average person that ignores you (thus my point with Filipinos on average, although there are bright ones among them as well).

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 9:13 pm

EsotericResearch wrote:

Checked meetup. No meeting in my town. Thought about that before.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 10:44 pm

zacb wrote:
This is something that is driving me nuts. I can't find one damned person I have something in common with. It seems like most the people are backwoods, and there is no intellectual capital where I live. I would move, but I am finishing up school. In the mean time I am applying for almost anything but cashier and fast food places (which seems to be the predominate jobs I see online). People say network, but with who? That is another issue though. I guess how do you find intellectually stimulating dates? I wish I had some money so I could at least go whore it up some place. IDK anymore. :( . So far I have adopted the whack a mole approach, but I never get past the first date. Any thoughts?

I live in a very rural area, so I understand your situation. I met my girlfriend at a conference in Austin, which is a few hours from where I live, but that was a chance happening. You might want to consider the Internet and look for somebody in the closest cities or college towns to increase your chances. It doesn't have to be a dating site; it can be a site where others share your interests.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 10:56 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
zacb wrote:

I live in a very rural area, so I understand your situation. I met my girlfriend at a conference in Austin, which is a few hours from where I live, but that was a chance happening. You might want to consider the Internet and look for somebody in the closest cities or college towns to increase your chances. It doesn't have to be a dating site; it can be a site where others share your interests.

I have looked into dating across borders, but until I have sufficient finances, I don't want things to fall through. So for now I am putting that off. But something to think about.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 11:21 pm

Quote:

Would you like to meet my niece?

Seriously, it is a real problem. In my area, for just about any woman who is between the ages of 25 and 55 and is single, there is generally a good reason to avoid them. That reason may not be readily apparent, but trust me, it's there.

There are exceptions. For example, there is an occasional good women who's husband died in an accident or from something like cancer. The best of them get snapped up pretty quick.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 11:34 pm

^^^Well jeez thanks a lot.I guess I will change my name to typhus.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 11:37 pm

Misslizard wrote:

For what it's worth, it applies to men as well.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 11:41 pm

^^^True enough,and once you get to a certain age everyone has baggage.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 11:52 pm

Misslizard wrote:

ROFLMAO

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 11:54 pm

I think that after some point, the fact that someone never got married generally means that there is a reason they didn't get married. Maybe they couldn't make up their mind or felt that nobody was good enough for them. Maybe they are gay. Maybe they are just plain antisocial. Maybe they use drugs so much that it rules their life.

In my case, I get along with people only up to some level. Beyond that and I start to feel really smothered and can't get out of there fast enough. The result is that for someone interested in a long term relationship or marriage, I'm really not the one from whom to seek that long term relationship or marriage.

Like I said, there are some exceptions out there. A woman I know who is a little younger than me, but not much, recently did get married for the first time. That really surprised me since she was still living with her mother after all these years.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 12:10 am

I am seriously considering eventually moving abroad at this point if things don't change. I might try a different city just to make sure it is not me. But it is really frustrated. It reminds me of a title of an article "A Pestilence is Upon the Land" (or something to that effect) in Loompanics. Seems kinda fitting. That is the story of my life. I really hope I can get out of here soon. Either that, or find a Salsa instructor XD .