Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 6:50 pm

Have many been down several roads and dx before landing at the conclusion that it was aspergers all along?

If so, how on earth did you cope?

I am finding such conflicting coping strategies and while my daughter has the label of gad, ocd, sid...my gut is SCREAMING aspergers and that leaves us sitting on the fence with the "right" form of therapy until we get the official 2nd opinion.

:?

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 10:22 pm

Well a lot of those can all go hand in hand with AS. My son's primary dx is AS. But he also has OCD, SID, High Anxiety and we're also still waiting on either ruling in/out the possibility of Tourettes. He also shows traits of ADHD, but that's not on the radar as much as everything else.

Regardless of your daughter's "official" dx, O/T can definitely help so that would probably be my starting point. What other therapies are you considering?

ster
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 6:27 am

when we were going through the dx process with our son, the following dxes were thrown at us: Major Depressive Disorder , Bipolar Disorder, Multiple Personality Disorder, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, ADD, and Social Anxiety disorder..........only one dr got it right~ son's dx is: MDD, and Aspergers.

daisydiana
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2007, 8:56 am

Hi, I know how you are feeling and how frustrating it is, my son was diagnosed at 5 with anxiety, then add,then adhd and now finally at 8 he is aspergers and odd(oppositional defiant disorder), i know in my heart he was aspergers all along. I dont know what takes the doctors so long to give you the right one, because for me before the diagnosis of aspergers he was just treated as a bad kid , now the teachers are more understanding and he gets some support at school which really helps.

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2007, 2:55 pm

Our problem was getting a dx at all. We took our son to the best ped neurologists around, despite the fact that he couldn't walk in a straight line, has a very odd gait, and to me seemed to have some kind of palsy the way he swung his arms as he walked, he was pronounced 'perfectly normal" - largely because he rode a 2 wheeler since he was 4 years old.

He was 10 before we got the official dx. A lot of time having to work with the school on work arounds, etc.

He did have a kindie teacher who called my son's pediatrician trying to get him dx'd with adhd. She no longer teaches. We have a new ped. DS has never been dx'd with add or adhd.

So I can empathize.

But as was stated, sometimes the label isn't important, it's can you get the accomodations and services that will benefit your child. If so, worry about getting the right label later.

Hearsawho
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2007, 3:45 pm

Gosh, are you guys ever singing my song. My DS is 17 and has been in psychiatric care since he was 3. He has been diagnosed with PTSD, ADD, OCD, ODD, MDD, generalized anxiety, trichotellomania and dysgraphia. Been to OT, cognitive therapy for years, family therapy, etc. No resolution other than the trich stopped with the addition of Luvox and an incredible therapist. Horrible problems in school (life-long), considered ED in school with behavior problems, habitual runaway.....I could go on forever.

THEN....after going through every psychiatrist in town (his original psych moved, killed us 'cause we loved her) and getting the State involved because he hit his sister, we finally met another psychiatrist/pharmacologist that gave me a different dx, Asperger's. How eye opening! The man was so open and so helpful that it actually shocked me. He said, "The reason that none of this is working for you, meds, therapy, residential placements, etc., is because you're treating the symptoms instead of the problem. If you fold all of these diagnoses into one...you have Asperger's." He stated that we were treating them individually and they needed to be treated for what they were, being Asperger's.

That diagnosis sent him to a residential facility where I was told that they would work on coping skills for Asperger's. I recently found out that the psychiatrist there doesn't believe that he has Asperger's because he can form interpersonal relationships and doesn't have a distinct subject of interest.

So once you have the DX, it isn't always the answer either, apparently.

I called the referring psych and he suggested I hire an attorney to make sure that he receives the correct level of care. Unfortunately, since his stay at this facility is court ordered, I don't have the ability to just remove him but I do have the abliity to fight like like a wildcat to make sure that he receives the correct treatment.

Like some of you stated here, I thought it was a behavior problem all this time and now I find that almost everything I was doing, was exactly what I shouldn't have been.

Sorry that this is long and rambling, I'm just thrilled to actually read information on the forum that is exactly what I've been dealing with all these years.

itsangel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2007, 7:54 pm

my daughter was dx with speach delay when she was 3
and dx with global learning difficultys
When i read her educatinal statement they may as well be writing about another child becouse to be honest most of the professionals copy what there previous ones wrote.
My daughter gets so overloaded and i can't even get her refered for a diognoses seems like no one will listen but im only her mum lol :roll:

stops ranting :oops: