Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 4:51 pm

Hi,

What age did your DS manage to stay dry at night? My DS5 is still having very full diapers at night, in fact they are so full I have to double them so they don't leak out. I cannot rouse him awake at night to get him to go in the toilet. Can you share your experiences how/what age your DS finally got trained at night?

zette
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 5:19 pm

DS8 is still wearing big-kid pull-ups. He wets them 2-3 times a week. His pediatrician says not to worry about it until age 10 -- she says it's neurological and some kids, especially boys, are just very late to stay dry.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 9:24 am

When you say, that you even need to double his diapers, to prevent them from leaking, it seems to me, that he is drinking very much before sleeping. So I am dry now ^^, and started doing so around 5, but not drinking much in the evening, AND going to the toilette right before sleeping, is an important part of it. So I had a few accidents since then, (even as a teenager and grown up - but not that often once every few years), and whenever that happened, it was because of me not caring for the amount of fluid in the evening or for going to the toilette.

I simply accept it as a fact, that anyway if grown up or not, I will most likely NOT wake up if my bladder is full, so I simply need to care for it in physical ways, that it dont get full.

The problem is less, that my mind would not recognize my need to go to the toilette, but it involves it into dreams, involving into my dreams that I would go to an toilette, because of me having the need to pee. The realization actually comes when I am wondering in my dream, why my back/hip/legs are getting wet, which they are not supposed to be, when sitting streight on a toilette. -.-

aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2013, 1:37 am

I'm copying my answer from another posting. There are several great postings on this question. Just put in a few search words to the right of the WrongPlanet.net logo above.

I didn't catch his age, but maybe adult diapers would hold more. Meanwhile...

I highly, highly, highly recommend this book: Seven Steps To Nighttime Dryness: A Practical Guide For Parents Of Children With Bedwetting, written by a nurse, Renee Mercer. Before my son was dxd, he had this problem, and this book worked EXACTLY as it promised. He was six and (if I remember correctly) it took 3 months. It is not easy peasy, but it was absolutely worth it because of the success. At the end she even has you "challenge" the child by giving him lots of liquid before bed. If he wets, you know what step to go back to, if he doesn't, you are totally assured you can catch up on your sleep.

The method uses a monitor which wakes you up the minute he wets. You have to make sure he's up and takes care of changes. Eventually he will wake up himself. The important component of the method is the spreadsheet. You record the time, size of puddle etc. (You have to get the book). What happens is that you and the child notice small positive changes in the data. That is encouraging enough for continuing, until he is fully trained.

I didn't like losing my sleep several times a night at first, but IT WORKED! Now, I must say my son is very high functioning so that may have played a part.

MiahClone
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2013, 10:07 pm

My oldest (HFA) was around seven when he stopped wetting the bed. I wasn't very worried about it, because he has low muscle tone, and was very late in many things that required muscle control. My middle child (ADHD, but otherwise NT, with good muscle tone and control) was nearly 5, but he was over 3 1/2 before he potty trained in general. My youngest (Aspie) is 5 now. He potty trained at 24 months and I think he wet the bed a couple times after, but definitely not many. I think the biggest factors were the low muscle tone and general developmental delays for the oldest. He wore the big kid pull-ups. We did limit his fluids in the evening and have him go to the potty several times over the evening, but I think the biggest factor was that he got older and stronger.

Loulamai
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Dec 2013, 8:22 am

DS8 has this year tried the alarm mat (80% success rate) and minirin wafers (60% success rate) and neither have worked, it's the reason I took him to the paediatrician and ended up with ASD diagnosis. She thinks it's a behavioural issue and until it's a priority for him he will keep wetting, that said he had low muscle tone too, hopefully now that he's seeing the OT we may get some change.
We have a Kylie mat on his bed and he wears dry nights every night, usually that enough

LouHusky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2013, 4:06 pm

I was still having regular 'accidents' up until age 10 and it really knocked my confidence, it didn't matter how little I drank or how many times I went to the potty, I would still flood the bed, it's been a long time since it last happened but I'm still weary and will usually pad before bed. My little brother is 8 and has the occaisional accident, he has got considerably better in the past 2 years, he used to wet every night, sometimes more than once, now it's more like once a week. We help each other out with our resulting confidence issues, usually with a bit of gentle teasing between brothers, nothing at all malicious, and look out for one another if an accident does occur by helping each other clean up without waking dad. We've both improved greatly since we've had more stability, less stress and are much happier than we were prior and I think that's been the biggest help for us both.

Louis

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 4:53 pm

Thanks for sharing everyone!

I have been getting quite a bit of criticism about why my DS5 is still not potty trained at night, and it just adds to my stress. My husband is annoyed that he still has to pay for diapers, but I tell him he is more than welcome to strip the bed and child several times a night if he is that motivated to take the proverbial bull by the horns, so to speak. My primary GP has 6 kids (gotta love she's a wonderful Orthodox Jewish lady with so many kids and still manages to see annoying patients like me LOL) and she is the one who told me to take it easy, and when he's ready his diapers will be dry. So I stopped trying to make it happen. Last year I got myself so stressed out and sleep deprived (DS5 as well) trying to get him to go in the potty at night, and it was extremely taxing on all of us, I just decided to heed my doctor's advice and let nature take its course. It is annoying because I have to pack so many diapers when we go away, but it's worth the extra sleep I manage to get.