Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 3:43 am

people like us, we tend to be on the far end of the bell curve, not like most people, so the pool of people who are basically compatible with us is relatively small. you will know when you meet somebody compatible is when they speak to you in a friendly way. then speak friendly back to them :) ask them their thoughts and they will ask you your thoughts [eventually after they're through talking about their thoughts]. if you have to "do all the work" then IMHO it is not working, find somebody else.

taiwanluthiers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2015, 3:45 am

I really don't know how that works. I find some who are nice enough to try and help, but in general nobody seems interested in my thoughts at all. In fact everyone I have met thus far I have to do the work.

Sometimes I wish I was a female because it seems like they have it so much easier.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 3:57 am

yes, it seems that way to me also, at least in that respect of people wanting to talk to them.

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2015, 4:52 am

This video is terrible. I have zero friends period online or in real life and I use forums such as these to drive off craziness due to loneliness. I honestly don't even consider my family as being close to as I am just a parasite to them.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 5:25 am

The video nearly lost me when it described Chimpanzees which are great apes as "monkeys". Social media has its uses, I view as nearly the same thing as a resume that so many are also obsessed about. It's more like an application to become friends with someone IRL. Even if you have "online" friends, but you know their real name and have seen what they look like or video chatted then they really are no different than friends IRL. It's the same online as it is IRL, lots of fair weather buddies, few if any friends.

taiwanluthiers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2015, 11:45 am

I had a Japanese American pastor who was in Taiwan years ago, who genuinely cared about who I am and stuff. He returned to the states in 2012. Problem is he passed away very suddenly a few months before I could come to the states, so it was a great loss for him. If he didn't pass away (and I could come to the states) I probably would have stayed in Los Angeles area because he'd support me. Unfortunately his wife isn't as excited about supporting/helping me as her late husband because she's dealing with her own stuff as well.

I do wish I can find some good people around UT Austin, or at least some kind of a autism support group.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 3:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I sent only one text in my life, and that was to the power company by mistake. I was testing a new cell phone, ineptly. :oops:

Well, that means you've made on text more than me. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 11:25 pm

^^^
at least you have the advantage of living in a cell phone reception area.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 11:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
at least you have the advantage of living in a cell phone reception area.

You don't where you live?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 12:11 am

I live out in the sticks, the nearest cell phone dish antenna tower a mile down the road is conspicuously pointed in the other direction. to get reception I have to drive several miles down the road towards the main highway.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 1:04 am

I didn't much like the video; it seemed like a lot of repetition of one main idea in different words with a lot of empty fluff words in between, with little coherent structure and a pretension to saying something "deep," like those freakin' TED talks, but dressed up with some fancy visuals that didn't even add anything to the message.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 9:01 pm

I tend to view forums as books that are continuously being written. There are multiple characters. Some characters are there for the duration while others come and go. I get to write part of it too, kind of like some of my coauthored works.
To me, there isn't any more socializing on a forum than there is in a book. I would say something similar about watching Youtube.

I tend view MMORPG's as social because games are inherently social and you are actually interacting with the other people in an imitation reality where the horrible intricacies of social interactions are recreated.

I count forums as being one step above social media. Forums allow for more depth in writing.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 9:06 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
I tend view MMORPG's as social because games are inherently social

Games are not "inherently social." Ever hear of solitaire?

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 9:42 pm

starkid wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
I
I tend view MMORPG's as social because games are inherently social

Games are not "inherently social." Ever hear of solitaire?

Firstly, Solitaire does not always meet the criteria of "game" depending on what philosophy you hold to. Crawford's definition would not qualify solitaire as a game... nor would Solitaire fit under the definitions Clark C. Abt, Greg Costikyan or many others. Read some Ludology, maybe?

But anyways, let me rephrase myself... MMORPG's are social because the games are inherently social. "The" in this context self references to "MMO's."

Games are however all inherently acts of play. Aristotle considered playing (and therefore also gaming) to be equivalent to contemplation. As such all games either force introspection or the extraspection of other players to the point of intimacy if the game continues long enough.
"Know thy opponent as yourself" and "Love they enemy as yourself" are both proverbs that highlight this concept. The better you know an opponent, the better you know how to achieve victory. Even if a word is never spoken there is a high level of intimacy in games. If intimacy is caused by social interactions, then gaming is social.

If we go by Clark C. Abt's definition, then all games are social as a game requires multiple players.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x