Do inane T-shirt sizes for women drive you nuts ?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 5:16 am

metaldanielle wrote:
It wouldn't help me if retailers carried a wider range of sizes. My ribcage and shoulders are small, but my breasts are big and my hips are even bigger. I need several sizes in one shirt. The bottoms of most of my shirts stretch out occasionally to the point of popping the hem when I pull them off. I'm between a 16 and 18 in pants (the same measurement that would go for the bottom of a shirt) and when trying on dresses where hip size doesn't matter, even a size 12's shoulder seams and armholes are occasionally too low despite the bust straining against the fabric. I think my bust is about a 14.

I think some larger companies like target would make a lot of money if they offered a service where you could order clothes in their styles but custom made to your measurements for an added fee.... eg I would like a size 12 shirt with the width of a 14 in the bust.

This is technically what i have to do. I order direct from the factories for the length in pants as nowhere sells pants my length. :D

So I'm never in a rush

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 5:48 am

Don't forget the 16 at the bottom. Order a florescent orange and I can be a traffic cone. It wouldn't matter if they did, I couldn't afford it.

dELiA*s carries up to a 37"inseam. It's a teen store, but they have a lot of basics that aren't too young.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 7:07 am

basically looking through all their clothes, there is none that would fit me. The ones in the skinny hip sizes assume a 10 inch smaller waist. I don't have that. So if i went by waist measurement, they would hang like a sack of spuds and if i went by hip, i would either need low rise or not be able to breath.

That store is more for women with curves. Like I said, Just shop to your size and shape. :D

So I'm never in a rush

dunya
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2013, 1:58 pm

I hate the way "women's" fit is always too short for me. And the fabric thin and itchy. I went to a Major High Street store and found they didn't stock a single all-cotton t-shirt for women in their flagship store.

I can only find one shop that sells long bodied slim t-shirts. So I go to buy a slim-fit "mens" and EVERY time I get wierd looks and "why don't you try one of our women's t-shirts?" So I ask for a women's t-shirt and a men's t-shirt and lay one on the other and show them why. The men's fit is several inches longer in the body and the quality of the cotton better.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 7:05 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
My biggest pet peeve is that there is no real size standardization. One size will fit great in one brand, but not the next. Button down tops are just impossible, along with finding jeans that fit at waist and hip comfortably.

Wal-Mart sizes do run larger than most, along with Old Navy. Thank goodness for yoga pants. :wink:

Australian stores are not consistent in terms of their sizes.

In one store I am in size 12 pants but in another I am a 14.

I tend to buy a lot of clothes from target.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 11:01 am

I had to send back a very nice mail order coat recently because even though the company's sizing guide had three different measurements which you were meant to take before ordering (hips, waist and breasts), there was only a single clothing size given for each coat.

Somewhat confused, and with the only illustration picture being of some stick thin woman with miniscule breasts... I ordered the size relevant to the largest measurement because my boobs are 6-8 UK clothing sizes larger than either my hips or waist (depending on the manufacturer). For that coat, they were at least 6 sizes larger than either my hips or waist and so I ordered the "6 sizes larger" one.

The coat actually fit really well in the boobs, albeit quite snugly... but other than that the coat made me look like a yurt.
Because of this it was hopelessly unflattering and fitted appallingly apart from the chest section, and so it had to go.

:shameonyou:

I appreciate that there is limited space in the catalogue, but it would be better if clothing companies were at least prepared to have pictures of different sizes of coats (not just the tiny ones on skinny models who have tiny breasts) on their website, where there is infinite space to supply different sizes/shapes of model wearing coats.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 11:07 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
It's ok Woof, I can borrow you my 3X LARGE shirt.

Hopefully, it will fit on you.

:lol: You cheeky f*cker.
I would threaten to crush you with my enormous breasts, but I just know that you would enjoy that.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 4:53 am

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I would threaten to crush you with my enormous breasts, but I just know that you would enjoy that.

You can barely move to do that, you won't catch me.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 6:29 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Ladywoofwoof wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I like how he pretends he wouldn't like it... Lololololololol.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 8:05 am

Kinme wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Ladywoofwoof wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I like how he pretends he wouldn't like it... Lololololololol.

You women always tend to think that us men have zero standards, this should change.

What's so pleasant in being crushed by 60 kg of boob fat?

:roll:

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 9:10 am

And why do men's pants come with a choice of inseam, but not women's? My inside leg is only 28".

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 9:16 am

I tend to wear a mens t-shirt if it's a band tee or something. They're usually marked as unisex though. The women's specific band tees always seem to be made of flimsier fabric so I never get them.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 9:41 am

This is happening even in t-shirts with good brands. I guess nowadays t-shirts have a lot of stretch so they expect you to fit in it like a rubber tube. I've been buying t-shirts from the same (pretty high quality) store for years, and always bought XS. This year I had to buy a Medium and the shoulders are still tight. The fabric is thinner, too. I think eventually I'll have to get them all from thrift stores if I want non-tissue weight t-shirts.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 9:13 pm

I have an hourglass and none of the clothes fit. It's always too big on the waist with the bum and the chest hanging out, pants too long, the bras poking me and riding up, shoes that are too tight on the toes and too loose on the ankles, socks that get all rumpled up in the heels, underpants that don't cover anything and leave marks! Ugggghhh! I hate clothes. Wish I could just get them all custom made or wear pajamas to school/work/everywhere. So frustrating!

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2013, 4:31 am

I am a small woman with short arms and legs, and slightly broad shoulders from working out. I also have thick somewhat muscley arms (a family trait) that I have no matter what if I train or not.

With womens' shirts, my minimum top size is usually large. I usually pick an even larger size because I have skin sensitivity and like loose clothing. I often also buy mens' small or medium (manufacturers vary), or young mens' shirts. Another trait, I have a short torso (a family trait), so sometimes mens' shirts look funny on me because they can be too long.

With womens' shirts if they are longer with sleeves, my fat arms tend to stretch the sleeves a lot and it looks and feels bad. Another problems is my shoulders sometimes stress out the seams and armpits of some women's shirts which will eventually break into holes, more reason to go a size up or look in the mens' section.

Pants are even harder to find because my legs are so short - shorts and capris are simpler to choose.

Shoes are hell for me to fit because I have very strange shaped feet.

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 7:21 pm

No, it doesn´t drive me nuts. There´s a size for everybody. :) No need to make a fuss about it.