Do inane T-shirt sizes for women drive you nuts ?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 10:28 pm

Does anybody else feel annoyed that vast numbers of clothing manufacturers seem to have the belief that females all have stunted growth of something, and thus have inexplicable and vastly different sizing guides for women and men (meaning that clothes are often deliberately sized to be too small for huge numbers of women, and even quite petite women are referred to as "large" or even "extra large" ?)

For just one example, I was going to buy a nice nerdy Tshirt from some American store who I am not going to name here because their sizes suck and they don't deserve the publicity.

The two size guides are :

Men - Width - length (inches)
SMALL... - 18 - 28
MEDIUM - 20 - 29
LARGE ... - 22 - 30
X-LARGE - 24 - 31
2X LARGE - 26 - 32
3X LARGE - 28 - 33

On the other hand, the rather stingy sizes for women are :

Women - Width - length (inches)
SMALL... - 13 - 21
MEDIUM - 14 - 22
LARGE... - 15 - 22
X-LARGE - 16 - 23

So.... the "Extra large" womens' size is actually tiny compared to the "small" mens' size.... being 2 inches less wide, and a massive 5 inches shorter.... talk about sexist.
:roll:

The sizes never go above a certain length, so this means that even if a woman has especially narrow breasts she will probably be lucky if the length manages to even fit over them without half of her boobs hanging out.

Despite this, they indulge men with a triple-X size.... stopping the womens' sizes at what is in fact smaller than a "Small" men's size.

I guess that if you're a woman but not a very petite person with little breasts, they don't want you as a customer.

I have no interest in buying a badly fitting mens' T-shirt which has no concept of breasts and probably hangs like a tent because of that, so I will not be ordering this T-shirt from those people. This happens far too often when I try to shop for clothes online, and it's just really annoying.

I assume there must be some kind of benefit they perceive of from grossly undersizing womens' clothing ... but what is it ?

Is this about making women feel bad about their "large" size and breasts in the hope that they shop more as retail therapy against depression ?
Even if that works, which it won't on many people... they probably won't be using the stores which make them feel bad about their size, or even just owning generous mammaries, to shop at in order to try and feel better by shopping...
Or I wouldn't anyway, especially if my tits can't even fit into their stupidly undersized clothing.

:chin: ... Seriously, why is it that so many companies fail to even manage to size clothing properly when it comes to womens' ranges ?

If guys were the ones with boobs then i could understand leaving less "room and length" in the mens' sizes... but since it's the opposite, the mind boggles at the lack of logic.

TechnicalAmateur
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2013, 10:45 pm

I've noticed this too, I got a "large" shirt and it fits wrongly in every way, whereas I got a medium from the men's section and it hung like a tent. I hate clothing sizes for women, it forces us to either remain almost twig like pixie beings, or have the stigma of wearing a large or extra large. >.<

I love PMs but have no clue how to start a conversation.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 10:51 pm

Yeah, I have long arms that have somewhat developed muscles at the shoulder and bicep, but slim at my waist and I've never found women's blouses or dress to fit properly. I have had it with shopping, Plus I don't like going into stores. I wish I knew how to sew.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 11:59 pm

Yes, I too have problems getting a good fit. I am overweight, but a little below average height. Many women's tops made today have sleeves that are way too long for me. I have to buy short sleeve, 3/4 length sleeve, or get them with a good cuff that will be snug enough to keep the sleeves from drooling down onto my hands. The slacks, trousers, and jeans are made for women who wear circus stilts. I never wear high heels, but even if I did, they would still be too long, and I am really not that far below average height.

I have been able to get some clothes at the local Walmart, but with the too long arms and legs of the clothes, it's hard to find stuff that fits. I have also been able to buy stuff from catalogs, but again, the proportions are all out of wack. I did buy some Capri slacks for around the house. I have ugly legs, so I won't wear them when running errands. I also bought 3 pair of full length slacks from the same catalog and same style group, but I had to have my step mom hem them for me. I think she should have made them at least one or two inches shorter than she did. If I buy more full length slacks, I'll have to remember to tell her that when I have her hem those, too. I do plan on getting more of the Capri slacks for around the house, too, though. I like them for this purpose, and they can even be worn as pajama bottoms with any tops I want, as they are light weight jersey slacks. I can also wear them to take out the garbage or other quick yard stuff, if I wear calf length socks with them.

I find that different women's wear companies often size similar products differently from their rivals, so this adds to the complication and annoyance. The clothes in Walmart generally run bigger than the clothes of the same size from catalogs. Fortunately, I was able to tell by the pictures in my catalogs that the tops on the models ran small, so I ordered them in the next size up from what I would have gotten from Walmart. The models were toothpick thin, so the slightly loose tops on them indicated that they would be too tight or would burst on me, if I had gotten them in my Walmart size. My guess on the tops was right, so the tops were the right fit the first time I ordered them.

In closing, I will leave you with the biggest clothing size annoyance of all.

ONE SIZE FITS ALL :lol:

webbtaff13
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Dec 2013, 4:25 am

Yes!! I really struggle with clothing. As your typical woman I am more top heavy which means larger tops that do not flatter my smaller waist.Swimwear is another minefield.I am a size 14 but end up with size 18 swimwear, go figure.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 6:44 am

My biggest pet peeve is that there is no real size standardization. One size will fit great in one brand, but not the next. Button down tops are just impossible, along with finding jeans that fit at waist and hip comfortably.

Wal-Mart sizes do run larger than most, along with Old Navy. Thank goodness for yoga pants. :wink:

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 7:02 am

Around europe, the sizes normally fit pretty well, but we have less of that S/M/L/XL cloth sizes, but a number system that goes for 34/36 = superskinny/skinny, 38/40 normal, 42-44 bit chubby and so on....

Additional there are known differencies to certain countries, so german and scandinavian woman are average about half an head higher then italian one, so have as well a bit taller silhouette. (Means a superskinny typical scandinavian with absolute no fat on her hips, still has a bit broader hipbones, then a superskinny italian.) And the sizes are as well depending on that. Because of that smaller middle european woman often prefer italian style fashion, as bigger ones like scandinavian stuff, because it fits as well more the body-, armlenght and so on.

Might sound a bit complicated, but sooner or later you have a feeling for which typical countries measures, fits you best.

S/M/L/XL size T-shirts I mostly know from bandshirts or band-hoodies, because of them being produced for the international market.

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 9:58 am

I don't wear t-shirts. Unless they're men's. And I only wear them to the gym...etc. But I don't generally have a problem with tops if they have a bit of stretch to them. What I can't stand is shorts/ track suit bottoms. Gah! I'm a larger girl, but I am active and I play rugby. I need sports kit that fits well!

What I really can't find are decent suit jackets. It's almost impossible for me to find a suit that fits my arms but doesn't make me look gargantuan. I have a nice chest and a slim waist. Sooo hard to find.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 12:41 pm

Even though I'm fairly tall at around 5'6", all the new jeans made now appear to be made for women with legs longer than a Barbie doll's. They're always boot-cut and too long and while it's great that I can put them over my winter boots, it's not so great when I walk though slush and snow and mud and deep puddles and they get all soggy and gross. If I could I would wear sleeveless tank tops all the time, even in winter, but I usually throw on a T-shirt when I go out somewhere. I get sweaty easily and even in short sleeves and with anti-pespirant it looks and feels nasty. And I can't stand long sleeves! And collars, buttons, and cuffs. Scratchy lace trim, slippery cold satin, itchy, crackly knits. I know my mother wishes I'd dress up more often, but that's not how I am. There needs to be a line of attractive but comfortable clothes made for Aspie women, but the idiot fashion companies don't even want to make clothes that fit realistically-proportioned NT's. :x

bearsandsyrup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Dec 2013, 3:22 pm

I'm somewhere in between a 4 and a 6 (in jeans), which is irritating. My 4s are a little tight until I stretch them out wearing them, but my 6s are baggy from the get-go. Even European sizes leave me between a 27 and 28. I wish there was an in-between size!
For tops, I generally fit a small, though sometimes x-small and occasionally medium. I dunno, I just buy everything as stretchy (skinny jeans with some stretch in the material, ruched knit tops, etc.) so that it fits me as well as possible lol.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 4:32 pm

I don't buy women's t-shirts. They are too tiny and tight. I like my t-shirts loose so I buy men's xl or xxl.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2013, 5:02 pm

I always buy men's t-shirts. I prefer their longer body and sleeves. I get size small, because it's loose enough not to drive me nuts, but tight enough not to be unflattering. For pajamas, I get men's medium. :D

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 6:35 pm

I have the opposite problem to most women as i am insanely tall and slim I weigh 160pounds and i am over 6'3". I have a 35 inseam for pants with 31 hips and 26 waist. I try to buy any pants and they are too small and short and my ankles stick out the bottom.

I buy unhemmed pants from countries like Scandinavia and then get the evil tshirts that the op was complaining about with a extra legnth singlet to wear underneath.

Really women come in all shapes and sizes and just because you are not a certain size and some clothes don't fit, does not mean that the clothes are ridiculous. They just don't fit you, but they do fit some people and it is just a case of shopping around and dressing for your own body size and shape.

So I'm never in a rush

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 5:05 am

It wouldn't help me if retailers carried a wider range of sizes. My ribcage and shoulders are small, but my breasts are big and my hips are even bigger. I need several sizes in one shirt. The bottoms of most of my shirts stretch out occasionally to the point of popping the hem when I pull them off. I'm between a 16 and 18 in pants (the same measurement that would go for the bottom of a shirt) and when trying on dresses where hip size doesn't matter, even a size 12's shoulder seams and armholes are occasionally too low despite the bust straining against the fabric. I think my bust is about a 14.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 5:11 am

It's ok Woof, I can borrow you my 3X LARGE shirt.

Hopefully, it will fit on you.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 06 Dec 2013, 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 5:16 am

metaldanielle wrote:
It wouldn't help me if retailers carried a wider range of sizes. My ribcage and shoulders are small, but my breasts are big and my hips are even bigger. I need several sizes in one shirt. The bottoms of most of my shirts stretch out occasionally to the point of popping the hem when I pull them off. I'm between a 16 and 18 in pants (the same measurement that would go for the bottom of a shirt) and when trying on dresses where hip size doesn't matter, even a size 12's shoulder seams and armholes are occasionally too low despite the bust straining against the fabric. I think my bust is about a 14.

I think some larger companies like target would make a lot of money if they offered a service where you could order clothes in their styles but custom made to your measurements for an added fee.... eg I would like a size 12 shirt with the width of a 14 in the bust.

This is technically what i have to do. I order direct from the factories for the length in pants as nowhere sells pants my length. :D

So I'm never in a rush