Rocking back and forth and swinging side to side

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 8:50 pm

as i was waiting for the bus today, i looked around at other people (which i rarely do) and noticed people were either sitting or standing still, while I was swinging from side to side, and i wondered if i looked odd, i didnt even realize i was doing it, so i stopped, but got a tingle in my back and started feeling twitchy, so i started rocking and swinging again, does Anyone else do this, and is this an ADHD thing or an ASD thing?

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 9:00 pm

ASD thing. It's called "stimming."

Done it all my life. Sway side-to-side in a lemniscate () like Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles, or rock back and forth on the balls of my feet. Sometimes, standing in a cue, I will bounce up and down on my toes. If I'm just sitting and waiting, I rock back and forth or my legs bounce like mad.

It probably looks odd, but I can't really stop for more than a few seconds at a time - it makes me very agitated and jumpy to not do it. I just have a naturally elevated anxiety level and it helps sooth my nerves. Several times over the years, before I was diagnosed, or even knew what AS was, people at work would stop me in the middle of a conversation to say "Can't you stop that, you're making me seasick - what are you, autistic?"

However, I don't do it if I'm focused on a task. When I'm reading, or drawing or tattooing or using the computer I have no problem being still.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 9:21 pm

It's an Asperger's thing.

And yes, I find myself doing it quite frequently.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 10:12 pm

FluttercordAspie93 wrote:
It's an Asperger's thing.

And yes, I find myself doing it quite frequently.

Not just AS, it's pretty common across the spectrum. The first time I saw lower-functioning kids on TV with Classic Autism, I knew that I must have some form of what they had, because I recognized their stimming behaviors.

AspieTurtle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2013, 7:58 am

yep. i do it all the time when standing in line at the store or movies.
One day while standing outside waiting for the movie boxoffice to open I was swaying side to side without thinking about anything. It was a long wait. After a while I looked up from my feet and saw the whole crowd was swaying along with me. :)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 1:48 pm

Is that like going round in circles?

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 3:50 pm

I rock back and forth and nod my head when talking to people. I didn't know I did that until I saw a video of myself doing it. I sway back and forth and wiggle my toes to keep my balance when standing still, especially if the wind is blowing.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 3:54 pm

babybird wrote:
Is that like going round in circles?

Going around in circles is great. Much better than standing still.

Ron5442
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Dec 2013, 4:07 pm

My parents managed to punish that out of me. They were constantly on me for "fidgeting" and not being normal. Church was especially bad. Having to sit still for an hour in uncomfortable cloths and shoes that hurt in a stuffy room on hard metal seats and listen to boring repetition of meaningless gibberish or ridiculous "logic".

I constantly monitor my actions out of fear I might be doing something "weird"

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 4:44 pm

I pretty much always sway side to side when I stand.

I don't rock much when sitting though. Only when stressed.