Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 9:15 am

Moderators: Yes, Mass Effect is a video, but Andromeda was a television series. While Mass Effect has high popularity currently, Andromeda is probably not as generally known and so the most likely group of members to remember the show in order to compare it to the video game would be here rather than in the video game section.

That said: has anyone both played Mass Effect (inclusive of all three games, or knowing the story anyway) and watched the show Andromeda? Before I go into comparisons between these, in a later post after replies if any, I just would like to ask, do they seem somewhat similar?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 5:54 pm

Other than a ship with an onboard AI, nope...not at all similar.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 5:50 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Other than a ship with an onboard AI, nope...not at all similar.

So, trying to unite the galaxy/ies due to an immanent threat of Reapers/Magog-worldship, fighting against the Collectors, Andromeda is like EDI, Rommie like EDI in the EVA Corrie avatar, Dylan Hunt is like Commander Shepard, Harper is like Lt Donnelly/Joker/Mordin, Tyr/Roddey is sort of like Grunt/Garrus, Rebecca is sort of like Miranda/Jack, Trance is sort of like Liara/Tali. There's a few more things that present themselves as similarity when I watch the show that I can't recall right now.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 12:24 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Dylan Hunt is like Commander Shepard
Nope, Dylan Hunt had no boobs. Beside that joke you should think of, that you were able to play Shephard in various way, so you could play him pretty badass as well.

That there were similarities with the team members, actually occurs on actual character designs. So when given a certain group in games or television, there are often certain kind of characters like "the weird tech guru", "the bulldozer", "the wise and calm one", "the one that never gives up and encourages others", ...

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 4:02 pm

The two of them get worst as the serie go on. :twisted:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 3:26 am

Tollorin wrote:
The two of them get worst as the serie go on. :twisted:

Actually, if the indoctrination theory were right, then the ending of Mass Effect 3 doesn't suck quite as bad as I initially thought it did.

Yes though, I'm now at the start of season 5 and Andromeda is kinda stinking worse than before. They could have done far better, but whatever - at least they try to do the best they can even if it is starting to be a steaming pile of manure.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 3:32 am

Schneekugel wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Dylan Hunt is like Commander Shepard
Nope, Dylan Hunt had no boobs. Beside that joke you should think of, that you were able to play Shephard in various way, so you could play him pretty badass as well.

That there were similarities with the team members, actually occurs on actual character designs. So when given a certain group in games or television, there are often certain kind of characters like "the weird tech guru", "the bulldozer", "the wise and calm one", "the one that never gives up and encourages others", ...

Commander Shepard only has boobs if you play as fem-shep, but I suppose that could be considered a difference. Hunt often seemed to pick Paragon or Renegade depending on the writer for that episode's script. Mostly Paragon, but far too often Renegade.

Huh, yeah it could just be generic character types, but the who traversing the universe available trying to round up everyone to stop the Reapers/Magog thing still seems a bit too similar. Mass Effect seems to reference many things in scifi, such as Aliens with Joker suggesting nuking a site with Rachni from orbit just to be sure or the reference to Red October (although does Red October count as science fiction, or just fiction, or perhaps political/military fiction?)