Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

AspieTurtle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2013, 9:34 am

I have always walked on my toes. It would tickle my parents that I did it.
I could not stand the sensation of anything touching my instep.
I still walk on my toes if I am barefoot at home.
I read where it could be an AS thing.
Does anyone else do this?

Sona_21
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2013, 9:44 am

I believe it's called Prancers Syndrome (or something like that), my friend does it too.

enigmeow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Dec 2013, 10:07 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_walking

Quote:
Persistent toe walking in children has been identified as a potential early sign of autism.[4][5]

Sadly, you cannot access the underlying research without spending money...

AspieTurtle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2013, 10:21 am

thanks tons for the info!! !

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2013, 3:22 pm

My daughter is 2, she walks everywhere on tiptoes. I call her tipitoesler. I wonder...

Manveru
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2013, 4:31 pm

I only walk on my toes if my feet are wet, such as after taking a shower. I guess the water on the skin is amplifying the sensory experience, otherwise it's rarely an issue. My sensory sensitivity is fairly mild though, or I think so at least.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 4:52 pm

I used to toe walk myself but I always thought it was normal as doing so gave you better agility. I learned to stop doing it in my late teens because it was destroying my shoes. I still do it anytime when I am barefooted. As far as autism goes. I think it may be part of a stimming act and doing so give a little bounciness to your walk. When I am pacing around in my room and listening to my headphones. I walk on my toes barefooted. I can tell you one thing about toe walking. It gives you very strong calf muscles. I am just some skinny nerd guy and I have no problem pressing 1200lbs on the calf machine at the gym.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 6:20 pm

Toe walking is good because I like the pressure. :)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 8:40 pm

I walked on my toes when I was little. I have done a lot of work to correct that though since it was causing problems with my legs.

Wreck It Ralph

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 12:03 am

I toe-walk while pacing and listening to music. It feels so good to me!

However, I always wind up paying a price for it, because if I do it too much, my Achilles tendons become very stiff, sore and bruised. One time when my tendons were particularly tender, I was having such a difficult time walking around the Y that a lady offered to recommend some physical therapy classes for me. I was so embarrassed!

Thankfully, my tendons have healed, but it only takes about a week of serious toe-walking before they become tender again.

I wonder whether it is caused by the fact that I am overweight, or if it is because I am getting older (sore tendons were never a problem a few years ago, even though I had a weight problem back then as well).

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 7:38 am

i walk on my toes when i'm slightly stressed, but i have been conditioned to at least try flat-footed walking when i'm around other people; although even then i land on my toes first, i just angle me feet less so i sink down to my heels during a step, which masks the toeswalk.
once i'm alone though, i lift up and go full toe for a bit.

this has also made my tendons stiff, i can't really run for distances, as long-distance running doesn't lend itself for tiptoes, it almost requires heel-first landings, which i can barely (if at all) do... sprinting is a different story, i can get from standstill to my topspeed off the block, which often surprises those around me during sports (soccer and basketball, for example)

dreamingofhome
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Dec 2013, 8:08 am

I know I use to do it all the time when I was younger. Back then I used to pretend I was walking in high heels, but maybe there was something sensory going on that I didn't notice. I don't think I really walk on my toes anymore, but I do sometimes do it when I'm standing still for long periods of times.