Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 11:47 pm

Being single is awesome.

And guess what? All my meds kicked in and I feel much better.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 12:01 am

^^^
:wtg:

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 12:03 am

Single life can be awesome but then so can a relationship, depending on what you like and how well you adjust to another person.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 12:12 am

having the right person to share one's life with is akin to magic. in fact it IS MAGIC.

ProbablyNotNormal
Raven
Raven

14 Dec 2013, 1:49 am

I feel the same way in college.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 2:50 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^

Thanks! PM me sometime I can tell you more. 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 3:22 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^

Thanks! PM me sometime I can tell you more. 8)

done :)

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 8:35 pm

College was awesome but even with the new friends I made I still was stuck on Loner Syndrome a lot, particularly after my afternoon classes were done. It was, and still is just a habit.

delaSHANE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 3:35 am

Somehow, I felt more 'normal' while in college, than I ever had, prior to, or post college. Perhaps due to, existing among a multitude of like minded folks, who possessed the same interests and goals, as my own.

SG78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2013, 9:29 am

autisticyoungadult wrote:
This personal struggle has really gets me aggravated due to being in my final year of high school and not really fitting into any cliques that dominate the general makeup of the student body. I've had school lunches where I wouldn't know anyone in the cafeteria and just leave the room to head to my next period class in order to avoid the pile of obnoxious students that try to ignore my appearence in the hallway. This problem also extends to few classes where I wouldn't even know anyone in class, which just left me uncomferable and unconscious if I start socializing with them.

Did most of my formers have to deal with fitting in with the groups while they were back in high school?

Yes. I was that guy in HS who spent quite a bit of time not eating lunch because I didn't want to eat by myself. I had friends here and there, but they were all 1-2 people at a time, most of whom I'd manage to run off. My friendships--with one exception--were fleeting at best.

I do remember in senior year I'd befriended this one guy, and we joined the lunchtime hacky sack circle one day. Even though we more or less went our separate ways, I still joined the hacky sack circle most days in lieu of eating lunch. I felt welcome in this group of kids of all walks of life, most of whom were also not ties to any clique.

JakeDay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2013, 10:32 am

I was in high school in Australia during the 1980s. My middle high school years were simply awkward and horrible. Most girls thought I was a creep. I was very occasionally disturbed by weird feeling for boys in a culture antithetical to queer interests. I had no one I could talk to. I was often picked last for the sporting teams.

There was no awareness of high functioning autism. I was simply another rare example of those clumsy, gifted, alienated, bullied and troubled kids of my high school. Always being hauled before the principal for an apparently confrontational stance, bizarre stunts and outbursts. I was fortunate because I generally had a willing cohort or two for some of the strange pranks. We chuckleheads often goaded each other into expressions of (mostly) harmless mischief. No one got hurt.

By grade 10 I had acquired a little social currency with my illustrations and musicianship, but I only seemed to find any sense of comfort among the other misfits. I met some of these interesting people in an experimental class thrown together by desperate educators testing out an Ivan Illyich model of learning (I suspect). They made us read The Outsider (The Stranger) by Camus ffs. We did a lot of self-motivated research. We had access to the other computer lab - the secret lab. I was often tested and not told the results. I was a constant source of consternation.

I moved to a different school for senior high. By that time I had become adept at flitting between cliques that were of particular interest - musicians, metalheads, skaters, illustrators, computer users, math / chem students (the true nerds) etc. I did sometimes feel like I was being perceived as a poseur or narc. These skills became the seeds of my adult life navigating my way through various subcultures. I'm not sure I'd have received the benefit of these experiences if I had been diagnosed at 5. In a way, I was thrown to the sharks and left to my own devices.

Despite intense difficulties at school and home, I passed all my subjects, topping the class in English, Politics and Biology.

Since high school, my music and image interests have taken me through a variety of subcultures, occasionally even allowing me to transcend social boundaries eg class. I have worked in many career paths, acquiring a resume that is described as "exceptional". I have had a few successful long term relationships. I've achieved many personal goals in my creative life.

There will always be moments when I feel intensely lonely. I can't always avoid hardships. And until my recent diagnosis, I could never understand why I just couldn't shake that feeling of being a narc and
poseur. Or worse, an alien... or perhaps an android. Something else, something other.

Anyhow, once high school is over, life does get better.