Anyone here developing voice over / voice acting skills?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AspieWithSkills
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Dec 2013, 2:25 am

Is anyone here working on improving their voice over / voice acting skills?

-- AspieWithSkills

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 11:06 am

Bump. Yes, I have been exploring this. I have bumped the topic just because I think it an different freelance work-at-home option that might interest other Aspies. Spending some time exploring Google can reveal lots of resources for more information.

ultimafighterbp
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 May 2015, 4:02 pm

AspieWithSkills wrote:
Is anyone here working on improving their voice over / voice acting skills?
Learning a language, public speaking, and acting helps. And I would recommend searching the internet too. Hope I helped. :D

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 5:50 pm

I've wondered about this myself, quite a lot in recent years. I looked into how to make your own voice-over demo and the kind of things they want to hear in your demo.

If you google on "voice over demo" there are a lot of sites that give advice on how to make one, what's needed, and how to interest an agent/get your demo sent out.

Successful voice over actors and actresses even have their own websites where you can listen to their demos.

The only thing that put me off is that in the current climate of my particular location, they will probably want a certain kind of accent I can do but cannot stand. Seems weird and petty, I know, but I've really got a thing about it and a kind of stance on it.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 11:37 am

I have found that thanks to the Internet voice talent opportunities are fairly global these days.

For example, I am in the eastern U.S.A. and I needed to hire two voice talents to record phone greetings in different styles for two different clients. For the first one I needed an exuberant young male voice. The person I hired was in freaking Alaska! He recorded it in his home studio and provided the audio file via internet.

For the second I wanted a female voice in a refined British accent such as so-called Oxford or RP2. Well, I found a former BBC announcer who now works freelance from her home in Hawaii. She also recorded in her home studio and provided the file via internet.

I still chuckle about how unexpectedly global voice talent search and provisioning can be these days!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 12:15 pm

Wow, Marky9, that is very interesting indeed; I never thought about how digital files mean someone could get voice-over work anywhere now.

It would be dependent on that person being able to make a decent recording though -- good microphone and ability for audio isolation. I live on a noisy main thoroughfare and I don't think I could make a clean recording in this place if I tried. But it's good to know.

By the way, I could have done that refined Oxford accent for you! It's not a popular one in the UK anymore, for TV interstitials at least, sadly.

Marky9 wrote:
I have found that thanks to the Internet voice talent opportunities are fairly global these days.

For example, I am in the eastern U.S.A. and I needed to hire two voice talents to record phone greetings in different styles for two different clients. For the first one I needed an exuberant young male voice. The person I hired was in freaking Alaska! He recorded it in his home studio and provided the audio file via internet.

For the second I wanted a female voice in a refined British accent such as so-called Oxford or RP2. Well, I found a former BBC announcer who now works freelance from her home in Hawaii. She also recorded in her home studio and provided the file via internet.

I still chuckle about how unexpectedly global voice talent search and provisioning can be these days!