Girl gave me her business card

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 4:30 pm

WilliamTheConqueror wrote:
What if I said that this lady is nice to me and usually says something to me when she sees me, and is the first to do so. Along with her giving me a few other signs of being attracted. Is it still "just a business card" like some here have said?

It depends. More background information is needed. Do you both work for the same company? If not, yes, it's most likely "just a business card."
If you work at the same place, can you think of any instances that you might need to contact her for a work related matter? If you can't think of any, it's a little strange that she gave you her business card.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 4:52 pm

Not strange at all, it's called being connected. And in the NT business world it's a very important thing. Who you know who knows you and who calls whom when a job that they can do comes up.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 5:02 pm

I see. I would've thought "why do I need to know her work number? I'll never need it." No wonder why I have no networking skills.

OP, I guess it's just "a business card" then. Maybe all your other colleagues also got her cards.

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2013, 12:06 am

I wish I could have asked this same question several years ago (possibly 15 years, maybe more). I needed a root canal, but my regular dentist (who's my cousin's wife) doesn't do that, so she told me she'd call in a surgeon who specialized in that and gave me an appointment at the clinic for the next saturday, I believe. The clinic was normally closed that day, but her assistant would come to open it so I could have the surgery performed on my tooth. I arrived a bit early and while I was waiting, a blonde girl about my age carrying a suitcase showed up. A while later, my dentist's assistant arrived, and as we both approached the door, the girl asked me if I was the patient on whom she had to perform surgery (I had already suspected she was the surgeon). During the surgery, we were chatting about several things (among other things, her brother apparently had studied the same career as I did), and I complimented her, saying "well, not just anyone would spend so long working on someone else's mouth" to which she answered "well, thanks, most people don't appreciate it", and then she told me upon finishing "after this, you'll have to buy me dinner", and afterwards gave me her business card. I didn't know if she meant it seriously or was only joking. After I got out I waited a few minutes in front of the building to see if she was coming out or what, then I left. The next time I went by the clinic, my cousin's wife told me "I hear you got a girlfriend". "Huh? Shoudn't I have heard it if that was the case?" I honestly had no clue (and still haven't) whether she had been flirting with me or not... I still have that business card in my archive, BTW.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 3:31 am

You wouldn't take a girl trying to add you on LinkedIn the wrong way. Context is everything. This is just the offline version.

Generally if I'm fluttering around the office showing people attention it's because I'm bored and I wish to find distractions from my work, not because I'm interested in them.

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2013, 5:13 am

A girl at my work gave me her business card after just talking to her for a little bit, and I didn't even ask for her phone number. The card doesn't have a cell phone or home phone number, however. It has a work phone and e-mail. What does it mean that she gave it to me just like that? I already suspected that she might like me, so what does it mean if it's just a business card?

You're missing some background info there, what did you talk about?

WilliamTheConqueror
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2013, 11:05 am

savvyidentity wrote:
A girl at my work gave me her business card after just talking to her for a little bit, and I didn't even ask for her phone number. The card doesn't have a cell phone or home phone number, however. It has a work phone and e-mail. What does it mean that she gave it to me just like that? I already suspected that she might like me, so what does it mean if it's just a business card?

You're missing some background info there, what did you talk about?

We actually just spoke about her name. I asked her what her name was and she told me. Then as she was leaving I said "Bye [her name]" and she kind of laughed and then thanked me for saying it properly. She said that people usually say it some other way. Then I asked her if there was one "a" in her name or two. She spelled it for me and then said "Wait, let me get you something" and takes out her business card and gives it to me. Which happens to have her name on it. :shrug:

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 1:46 pm

me: hallo I'm phoning you because you gave me your business card.
her: oh is there something you wanted to talk about?
me: no I'm not sure
her: oh ok then, chat to you later
me: ok bye
her: bye

thats pretty much how I imagine I deal with real time flirting.

Lilya
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 2:36 pm

It's called networking. If she wanted a more personal relationship of any level, she would have given her cell phone number.

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Dec 2013, 12:32 am

We actually just spoke about her name. I asked her what her name was and she told me. Then as she was leaving I said "Bye [her name]" and she kind of laughed and then thanked me for saying it properly. She said that people usually say it some other way. Then I asked her if there was one "a" in her name or two. She spelled it for me and then said "Wait, let me get you something" and takes out her business card and gives it to me. Which happens to have her name on it. :shrug:

Somehow I'd think she was at least flattered. I'm an optimist so I say it's an invitation of sorts, but wether or not it's appropriate to call her at work... perhaps talk to her again and get her home phone. The conversation went well and she laughed, must be a good thing.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 10:41 am

That's another reason I give people my business card, so that they can spell my name right. It annoys me when people spell Alison with 2 lls (Allison) Plus if they spell it wrong then they get my email address wrong.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 2:11 pm

As other people have said, perhaps she wants to do business? Or it was an easy way to show you how her name was spelled.

I recently ran into the trouble of asking someone's contact information for business reasons, in the end I had to specifically ask for her organizational e-mail to avoid misinterpretations.