Villain! 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
I gotta go potty 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 4:29 am

Raptor wrote:
I don't know whey they named that school after N.B. Forest in the first place since he was not from Florida and did not live there. Either way, it's something for the people of Jacksonville to decide on.

Apparently, they named the school after N.B. Forrest in 1959 in defiance of the 1954 Brown v. Board of Education case, where SCOTUS ruled segregated schools unconstitutional.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/articl ... ame-change
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/11/10 ... nder-name/

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 9:59 am

/\
Maybe they did but it's long enough ago to dismiss and move on. They can change the name if they want to which apparently they aim to do.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 10:34 am

Does the South have anything named after Abraham Lincoln?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 10:47 am

Not that I know of here,but we all had Lincoln Logs as kids.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 11:05 am

I found a few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County,_Arkansas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Co ... ississippi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Parish,_Louisiana

However, there are quite a few places in the South called Lincoln that are named after Benjamin Lincoln (the major general in the Revolutionary War), and not Abraham Lincoln.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 11:21 am

Interesting,I did not know that Lincoln county,Ark was named for him.There must have been a large group of carpetbaggers that settled there. :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 11:37 am

GGPViper wrote:
Raptor wrote:
I don't know whey they named that school after N.B. Forest in the first place since he was not from Florida and did not live there. Either way, it's something for the people of Jacksonville to decide on.

Apparently, they named the school after N.B. Forrest in 1959 in defiance of the 1954 Brown v. Board of Education case, where SCOTUS ruled segregated schools unconstitutional.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/articl ... ame-change
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/11/10 ... nder-name/

That article provides all the more reason for striking Forrest's name from the school. MY GOD! 8O

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 11:37 am

Misslizard wrote:
Interesting,I did not know that Lincoln county,Ark was named for him.There must have been a large group of carpetbaggers that settled there. :D

Or southern Union men.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 11:50 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Or southern Union men.

Not in that area,that is Arkansas delta,pure Confedrate.Most likely the county was given its name after the war by the reconstruction goverment.The only Southern Union men were on the MoArk border.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 2:22 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Or southern Union men.

Not in that area,that is Arkansas delta,pure Confedrate.Most likely the county was given its name after the war by the reconstruction goverment.The only Southern Union men were on the MoArk border.

Looks like Klan territory

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/e ... ntryID=388

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 3:27 pm

I'm sure it was.The Klan was very active in Prairie County,and it wasn't just black people that were afraid of them.An elderly relative said they locked their doors and hid when the night riders were out.They would tar and feather black and white folks they had a grudge against,mostly black I'm sure.This would have been about 1910.
I've been to Poison Springs,my ex was from that general area.The springs were not poisoned by the Rebels according to the locals.It was a incredibly hot day and a fierce battle.Supposedly the Yankee soldiers drank the icy cold water out of the springs too fast and too much.
The Van Doren mentioned got an award for bravery.Supposedly he got injured in battle,but he really fell out of the window of a whore house trying to get away.His family told me the story. :D

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 3:42 pm

It looks like the residents of Lincoln County are going to be stuck with the name. However much the White residents might have resented Lincoln for freeing the slaves and forcing the 13th and 14th Amendments down their throats.

White Southerners are now staunchly Republican, and Abe Lincoln remains, ironically, one of the Republican Party's important Founding Fathers. Trying to rename the county would make things a bit ticklish.

Obviously, Republicans consider Ronald Reagan and George Bush to be much bigger heroes than Abe Lincoln.

White Southerners were able to ignore the Reconstruction Amendments for 100 years, until Kennedy and Johnson came along, and performed the unforgiveable. Then, the time came to abandon the Democratic Party, which previously was a Southern party.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to rename Lincoln County to Reagan County.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 3:47 pm

I've always wondered if the "Lincoln hating" by southerners is today more of just a stereotype. Other than Neo-Confederates, I think there has to be white southerners who in modern times appreciates Lincoln.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 4:00 pm

I never really heard people dissing Lincoln,just Grant and Sherman.I have no beef with the man,would'nt have wanted to be in his shoes.What a hard choice to make.
Maybe Georgia,Alabama and Mississippi are staunchly Republican.But Gov Beebe is a Democrat.We have a long history of electing Democratic governors.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 6:10 pm

Well, as soon as Lincoln was elected, the Southern states started seceding.

http://dixienet.org/rights/lincoln.shtml

Quote:
....Revealed is a man completely unknown to most Americans, both North and South; a crafty, ultra-liberal, unscrupulous, outlaw-politician who broke hundreds of laws; ignored and even subverted the Constitution; used money from slavery to fund his war; sanctioned the murder of both Southern blacks (who would not enlist in the Union army) and innocent Southern noncombatants (including women and children); had tens of thousands of innocent Northerners arrested, imprisoned, and sometimes tortured and executed, without trial; rigged the 1860 and 1864 elections; confiscated and destroyed private property; censored governmental debate over secession; and more. Throughout all of this, Southern historians estimate that some 3 million Americans, of all races, died in direct consequence of his actions.

While he publically declared that his goal was to “preserve the Union,” he actually destroyed it. And when he later tried to alter the character of the War with his fake and illegal Emancipation Proclamation, he was formulating plans behind closed doors to deport all blacks out of America, “back to their native land,” as he phrased it on August 21, 1858. Lincoln’s true agenda, as Mr. Seabrook shows, was to demolish the idea of states’ rights in the South and install big government in the North. And, as the staunch supporter of American apartheid himself stated repeatedly, he was willing to do this with or without ending slavery.....

:lmao:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 6:20 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Well, as soon as Lincoln was elected, the Southern states started seceding.

http://dixienet.org/rights/lincoln.shtml

Quote:
....Revealed is a man completely unknown to most Americans, both North and South; a crafty, ultra-liberal, unscrupulous, outlaw-politician who broke hundreds of laws; ignored and even subverted the Constitution; used money from slavery to fund his war; sanctioned the murder of both Southern blacks (who would not enlist in the Union army) and innocent Southern noncombatants (including women and children); had tens of thousands of innocent Northerners arrested, imprisoned, and sometimes tortured and executed, without trial; rigged the 1860 and 1864 elections; confiscated and destroyed private property; censored governmental debate over secession; and more. Throughout all of this, Southern historians estimate that some 3 million Americans, of all races, died in direct consequence of his actions.

While he publically declared that his goal was to “preserve the Union,” he actually destroyed it. And when he later tried to alter the character of the War with his fake and illegal Emancipation Proclamation, he was formulating plans behind closed doors to deport all blacks out of America, “back to their native land,” as he phrased it on August 21, 1858. Lincoln’s true agenda, as Mr. Seabrook shows, was to demolish the idea of states’ rights in the South and install big government in the North. And, as the staunch supporter of American apartheid himself stated repeatedly, he was willing to do this with or without ending slavery.....

:lmao:

And yet, even if every word of that crock of crap was true, Lincoln still ended slavery, and preserved the union. That means he still deserves the accolades he gets.