Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 4:00 pm

We are leaving for my sons social security hearing for autism and a bucket load of comorbidities in about 15 minutes. any quick tips. BTW he refused legal representation because a lawyer told him to go to the e.r. even though they could do nothing but cause taxpayers financial loss. [yep, the integrity thing]

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 4:16 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
We are leaving for my sons social security hearing for autism and a bucket load of comorbidities in about 15 minutes. any quick tips. BTW he refused legal representation because a lawyer told him to go to the e.r. even though they could do nothing but cause taxpayers financial loss. [yep, the integrity thing]

I dont have any tips but good luck

I think I know why the lawyer wanted him to go the er to generate more medical paperwork, the bigger your paperwork stack the better chances you have burocrats love paperwork

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 4:38 pm

I completely get the "Integrity Thing," but lawyers know how to work the system, and believe me, it's A SYSTEM. The Government does not have, nor recognize integrity, so you shouldn't bother to concern yourself with that when dealing with your Uncle Sam. It's all about how the (i)s are dotted and the (t)s are crossed, and what blocks on the paperwork are critical and which ones can be left blank and what words to use when you fill them in.

If this meeting doesn't pan out, I strongly suggest you go back to the lawyer and take his advice - chances are he's done this before and knows which buttons to push and which ones to leave alone. After all, it's a maze of rules and paperwork created by lawyers and bureaucrats and they're usually the only ones who truly know how it works.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 9:12 pm

We went to my sons' social security meeting yesterday but it was postponed. We had brought in videos and a vcr to show the judge what my son goes through every day. She needs us to make dvd's do that she can put them on record/

Also, my son applied for SSDI but they are claiming that if he qualifies that he will only be eligible for SSII because he has never worked. This makes no sense to me because we received social security survivors benefits on his behalf since birth [his dad passed a couple months before he was born] and were told when we first applied [when he turned 18] that he would be eligible for his fathers benefits because his father was deceased and my son became disabled as a minor.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 10:29 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
We went to my sons' social security meeting yesterday but it was postponed. We had brought in videos and a vcr to show the judge what my son goes through every day. She needs us to make dvd's do that she can put them on record/

Also, my son applied for SSDI but they are claiming that if he qualifies that he will only be eligible for SSII because he has never worked. This makes no sense to me because we received social security survivors benefits on his behalf since birth [his dad passed a couple months before he was born] and were told when we first applied [when he turned 18] that he would be eligible for his fathers benefits because his father was deceased and my son became disabled as a minor.

you should call a social security lawyer and ask about it, the majority of them do free consultations