Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 11:52 pm

Feralucce wrote:
VaticanWatch wrote:
Im sure that there are ret*ds out there among us as well

Please do not use that word... in real life or here... ret*d is as bad as many racial slurs...

I find that word very crass, vulgar and ignorant.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 4:33 am

semota wrote:
What a prick. If I were you, I'd beat him up with a chair leg and I'd blame it on my autism afterwards.

Go find another doctor.

While I don't agree with her proposed method, I do agree with semota's sentiment. Equating you -and by extension everyone with Asperger syndrome- with an inanimate object, is hugely disrespectful. I'm unfamiliar with your doctor's track record of helping people, but out of context this little anecdote makes him look unprofessional.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 11:40 am

starkid wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
AS people like me only know the world though memorization and we are good at memory/recall, however, we are akin to a computer.

It's impossible to know the world through memorization only. To know is to discriminate (between up and down, red and blue, safe and unsafe, etc.), and discrimination requires interpretation and judgment of available facts in addition to knowing facts.

Quote:
If I recite the passage above that I read twenty-five years ago does that make me intelligent or just like a computer that is not considered intelligent ?

You did more than memorize and recite it. In fact, the memorization was secondary. The very reason you remembered it is utterly non-computer-like: you interpreted the fictional scene as irony, and it appealed to your sense of humor, thus you were motivated to commit it to memory. Computers are fed data and have no such preferences for any part of it, and their order of processing is the exact opposite – the memorization (data storage) comes first; only then can processing take place.

A rare few people's minds work like computers, and what I learned from the one example of a person whose mind worked this way, they did have problems with discriminating, learning, drawing conclusions, etc.

I suppose the Wikipedia article about the guy I learned about in school doesn't say the exact same thing I just said about him though
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_Shereshevsky

This article http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2008/12/ ... ct-memory/ is closer to what I learned about him.

A 'normal' human mind organizes and categorizes information in a way drastically different from how we are exposed to it. I fully believe that we will eventually create computers that rival the human brain in learning and understanding capabilities, but whether or not it would be conscious is another thing completely.

One might consider a computer highly intelligent if they don't associate 'intelligence' with requiring a mind.

Poor motivation

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 11:43 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
VaticanWatch wrote:

Please do not use that word... in real life or here... ret*d is as bad as many racial slurs...

What is the correct term?

Poor motivation

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 12:23 pm

cavernio wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
VaticanWatch wrote:

Learning disability.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 2:18 pm

Yes, people with Aspergers Syndrome can very well be intelligent. Not overall more intelligent than neurotypical people, they are just intelligent in a different way.

For instance, AS people often have a great long term memory, while neurotypical people often have a great short term memory.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 3:09 pm

cavernio wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
VaticanWatch wrote:

Anything that describes a lack of intelligence aside from that word.

The word ret*d refers to mental retardation... And if you have asperger's, by definition Aspies cannot have an iq lower than that threshold. If they are... we are classified as autistic. So, no... we have none as aspies.

VaticanWatch
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Dec 2013, 5:11 pm

why on earth dont i get a note when people quote me? :(

tic-tac
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2013, 10:15 pm

VaticanWatch wrote:

On the spectrum, certainly, but no, mentally ret*d do not receive a diagnosis of Asperger.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 11:08 pm

VaticanWatch wrote:
why on earth dont i get a note when people quote me? :(

Because the board is not set up that way

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2013, 6:57 am

I don't know but a lot of NTs I know seem to be more intelligent than I am, or at least their intelligence is more useful than mine.
One example for all:
The best student in my class: his IQ is around 120, just like mine. Differences? He's a real genius and I am not. He is good at everything and gets As in every subject; I, except some subjects I really like/am really good at, am just average or below average. When you hear him speaking he looks much more intelligent than me because people can actually understand what he is saying. He's an NT.
I look way stupider than him and other intelligent NTs I know.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 5:52 pm

You can have an IQ of 71 and be diagnosed as having Aspergers by clinicians who are not using the DSM 5.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 6:59 pm

beneficii wrote:
Here's an interesting article saying that indeed autistic people do have good fluid intelligence, that is we are good at novel situations, pattern recognition, etc.:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/pos ... and-autism

Thanks for sharing this. My understanding is that the WAIS-IV contains 3 tests that measure Fluid Reasoning (Gf):
- Similarities
- Matrix Reasoning
- Arithmetic

I tested higher in these areas than others. Whatever that means.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2013, 5:37 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
You can have an IQ of 71 and be diagnosed as having Aspergers by clinicians who are not using the DSM 5.

Yeah. I know a gal of 15 on deviantART that scored 89 on the IQ test and was diagnosed with Asperger's.
Also IQs are just measures; a person with an IQ below 100 can be intelligent as well. Kim Peek used to score below average on IQ tests but don't tell me he was not intelligent.

Salkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Dec 2013, 7:29 am

loner1984 wrote:
Just like no im not why should i be smarter because my brain is all messed up.

Its like oh you only got one leg, than you must be really good at using your hands. what?.

It's not uncommon for people with some form of physical disability to develop better than average skills with the means they do have. Deaf people may develop good visual skills (lip reading?), for example.

It makes sense for this to occur with neurological disabilities as well. Many autists who succeed somewhat in the social area and in the world at large do so because they develop an ability to reason their way to things NTs do intuitively.

Lockig92
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2015, 4:11 pm

I feel that I am more intelligent than a lot of neurotypical people, particularly those of my own age (22). As to whether that is because I retain information more consistently, or because I actually have a cognitive advantage over them, I don't know. My main ability which is accelerated is my language skill, which at it's base level involves memory and repetition, both of which are Autistic traits. Perhaps it is just that our learning style is more regimented and precise, so our overall "intelligence" or "learning system" appears to be more highly developed.