Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Autism_Us
Raven
Raven

04 Jan 2014, 6:35 pm

I am an NT married to an Aspie. I think it could work either way. I love our relationship and it has been better than any NT/NT relationship that I have been in.

Deuterium
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2014, 7:16 am

I'm starting to wonder if only another aspie would be able to deal with me. I'm not sure NTs would tend to give me enough time to resolve how I feel about things before getting bored and moving on (this happened to me recently). Even more-so when it comes to physical contact; I am totally boggled by how fast some people progress to sex when it seems like they don't know each other very well yet.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jan 2014, 5:06 am

I'm an Aspie & my girlfriend is on the spectrum & we moved in a little over a year ago & are doing pretty good together because our personalities & needs within a relationship are pretty similar. However my 2nd girlfriend was an Aspie & we didn't work out because our personalities & needs were very kind of opposite. I met them both on this site BTW. I never had much luck with typical NTs because we were too different so I think Aspie/Aspie couples can do well if they have similar personalities & relationship needs

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

WaraFujiAng
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2014, 10:41 am

Cynic wrote:
There are so few female Aspies in the general population that Aspie couples must be a rarity.

I think that a lot of female Aspies are harder to spot because they could just be mistaken as shy or they are better at faking it. Girls tend to be diagnosed later in life and many don't even realize they are Aspie.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft4331uZyv8[/youtube]

mrwhite23
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2014, 3:36 am

nick007 do you watch American dad?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Feb 2014, 3:38 am

mrwhite23 wrote:
nick007 do you watch American dad?
Yep

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2014, 5:52 am

I'm male, straight and would love to be in an AS/AS relationship; I'm not on the market right now for various reasons, but that will change over the next few months. I do know one interesting couple though.

Some time ago I tried (and failed) to date a woman who is as near a "clone" of me, "twin flame", call it what you like, as I have ever met and far more so than even the dozens of people I know in the Autism community. I had been looking for somebody like that for years, since before I had a name for what I was; I thought I was unique. I wasn't sure that such a person even existed until she showed up. I wonder how many others like us there are?

Anyway, she's definitely Aspie; there are various reasons for this, mostly because she sounds like a 35 year old me when she drops the pretence. Her boyfriend is clearly on the spectrum somewhere; she seems to have been coaching him in sociability skills over the last year or so.

Additionally, she's my age (mid/late 40s) and he's 20 years or so younger than her; they haven't publicly come out about being a couple and in fact went out of their way to pretend they were "just friends" at first; however, people are starting to suspect.

Neither has come out about being Aspie. She, in particular, really does NOT want anybody to know she is Aspie; she has done very well in her career and much of her life and can hide the AS quite well, seeming merely to be very eccentric. Given how she sounds in "Asperger Mode", it must for him be like having two girlfriends in one :) As for his A/S, or whatever it is, with him, it's a bit more obvious.

They are both very nice people, but noticeably a bit odd - goes with the territory, I guess :)

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2014, 1:50 pm

semota wrote:
mrwhite23 wrote:
Is anyone in or know of a Couple were both of them have aspergers?
and do you think aspie couples work out ok?

Me and my husband. we've been together for 6 years this year.
We're quite different but we complement each other very well.

Quote:
It depends on quirks. One person may be a very clean person and organized, the other not so much. Put the two together and it can compliment but it could also repel.

This is very true.
In our case, our personalities are quite different, but we complement each other very well. He's a particularly withdrawn introvert, but I'm an extrovert who often initiates communication. I'm not very good at reading faces either, but we spend a lot of time together so I had enough time to figure him out. Whenever I notice that something troubles him, I ask him what's wrong, and I push him until he reveals what the real problem is. It's not easy because he's alexithymic too, so he finds it very hard to talk about anything that affects him emotionally. Initally, these conversations went like the game "Twenty Questions": I had a guess, and he either nodded or shook his head -- but he got better afterwards.

It is also important to have shared interests, similar priorities in life and a similar level of intelligence.
As for interest, you don't have to have exactly the same areas of interest, but it's important to have a few shared interests and you should also be able to enjoy and respect the other one's achievements on their areas of interest.
As for priorities, it is important to have a shared system of values. If one of you is a non-conformist who doesn't care about money or about fitting in, and the other one wants to lead a conventional suburban life, it won't work out very well. Me and my husband are both non-conformists who reject the typical NT values (material success, popularity etc.).
As for intelligence, it's also pretty important that you should be in the same range. I think intelligence is a factor which hugely determines your system of values and approach to the world, almost as much as AS.

What if the other is an Aspie (in every possible way) but refuses to admit there is something different about them and just blames things on the other Aspie because they are the ones with the diagnosed problem? I love my boyfriend very much and before our two children he was my best friend and he said he loved me the most because I accepted him for who he was,quirks and all... Now as more stress and changes have been put on us in the last 4 years, he has gone back to his "before me" loner habits and blames our issues on me and his job. Then at the end of the night (i am sure like in my head thinking of it all day) he cuddles with me and trys to make things better without expressing much feeling at all. I really wish he would get tested, for mine and our childrens sake. I dont want to live without him but I think he really doesnt want to admit how much he loves "himself" in a non NT way. It has been 4 1/2 years.... We were suppose to get married this year in September.

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2014, 1:52 pm

Not sure. Probably like any relationship it could be very bad or amazingly well.

aspie_Physics
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2015, 11:34 am

My first time on this forum to share with the community how wonderful it is to have an aspie-aspie relationship. Similar to most male aspies', I went through a series of failed relationships with NT women (over 100 encounters--so I had an excellent statistic sampling). When I finally fell in love with an aspie female, the feeling was indescribable.

Imagine never having to explain over and over why you think the way you do; being perfectly in tune with this person; the qualities that your NT partners found frustrating and forcing them to compromise are now not only accepted, but loved by your partner; the freedom to think and feel however you want; etc. I never thought that I would meet, much less fall in love with, a female aspie (it only took 40 years).

Our relationship developed extremely fast since once we figured out we were both aspie's, we didn't bother with the societal mating dance and relationship evolution.

It definitely helps that out that our fixations have a strong overlap (that is how we met since we both shared a common passion--cycling). We met on the internet where aspies can feel comfortable without all that awkward socializing.

I hope this helps the male aspies who are looking for the aspie females....they do exist and when you are lucky enough to find one, your life will change.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 12:00 pm

I was discussing this with a friend the other day. I have never met a woman who I know had Asperger's. I think it would be interesting to see what one is like. I am happily married to an NT so am not looking for any Aspie girlfriends, but it would have been really interesting to see what a relationship would have been like with one. It was rather tough to navigate the NT world for much of my life. I didn't learn that I have Asperger's until last year, so I spent 47 years never knowing why I was different and didn't fit in all that well with people. I have actually only met one other person who was diagnosed with Asperger's and he moved away shortly after I as diagnosed with it. I wish I would have had more time to talk with him about it.