Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2014, 7:32 am

Hi everyone

I'm a big Dexter fan. As I have recently received the entire series for Christmas (from a very, very, good friend), I now have the sudden desire to talk about the show.

I genuinely believe that this has been one of the best dramas I have seen in some time; and I'm not normally a fan of drama shows. Like many viewers though, I was some what disappointed with its final season.

My favourite seasons include seasons 1 (The Ice Truck Killer), 2 (The Bayharbour Butcher), 4 (Trinity), and 6 (The Doomsday Killers).

"If you're not actively involved in getting what you want, you don't really want it."
- Peter MC Williams

Ryan1992
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2014, 5:21 am

As much as I enjoyed Dexter, the series finale was filled with cliches and it was easy to second-guess what was going to happen.

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jan 2014, 8:39 am

Yeah, it was a bit disappointing. The first few episodes looked promising, but it seemed to drag, and wasn't really entertaining. The ending too, felt random, and pointless.

I would have liked a bigger serial killer villain, and maybe seen the apprentice become something.

"If you're not actively involved in getting what you want, you don't really want it."
- Peter MC Williams

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2014, 2:49 am

when i 1st watched Dexter i seemed to relate a lot to him in the way he felt different to everyone else in the show before i got diagnosed with high functioning autism/ aspergers

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2014, 4:51 am

kazma wrote:
when i 1st watched Dexter i seemed to relate a lot to him in the way he felt different to everyone else in the show before i got diagnosed with high functioning autism/ aspergers

I did too :D

Which is one of the reasons I think I loved it so much. I actually thought he had Aspergers at first. I read up on psychopaths afterwards, and while I'm not an expert, or a psychopath (so I can't really relate), I sometimes wonder if he was falsely diagnosed. It'd be interesting to hear the opinion of a real psychopath.

- Peter MC Williams

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 9:14 am

I've never seen it, but my parents are the biggest fans around.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2014, 8:57 pm

yeah he really seams more like a high functioning autistic or aspergers person in the way he acts except for the murdering :lol:

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 3:05 am

I liked it till the last season

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:19 am

I started watching on Netflix. I'm in the middle of season 2. (So don't tell me what happens!)
Is it just me or Rita is really irritating? I liked Lila much better.

alex
Developer
Developer

11 Jan 2014, 3:35 am

love it. the first season is amazing.

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2014, 10:04 am

Yuzu wrote:
I started watching on Netflix. I'm in the middle of season 2. (So don't tell me what happens!)
Is it just me or Rita is really irritating? I liked Lila much better.

Oh really? I suppose she's supposed to seem that was in that season, but I loved Rita. It's still early days for you though I suppose.

- Peter MC Williams

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2014, 10:09 am

alex wrote:
love it. the first season is amazing.

Hey Alex :D

Nice of you to drop by. First season is one of the best ones. I feel I most related to him here, in terms of how he viewed the world; unable to fully understand it.

- Peter MC Williams

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 1:04 pm

I've been binge watching the show on Netflix. I'm currently in the middle of season 5.

I really liked the show at first.... but then, not so much.

To me, Dexter is like a big greasy frito-pie. The first few bites are GREAT, but then the more you eat, the more queasy you get.

I think the problem for me is that they play the show much too seriously. The show is so dark, it needs some black comedy or something...

I find the casual disregard for life really sickening, and during season 4, I was beginning to loathe Dexter.

Season 5 is a bit better, but not much. Still, I've spent so much time on the show, I'm sure I'll watch it til the end.

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2014, 8:35 pm

Hmm, season 5 was hard for me to watch too, but probably because of what happens at the end of season 4. Season 6 is one of my favourites though :D

- Peter MC Williams

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 9:49 pm

I love Dexter! Though I've only watched through Season 4... I need to get back into that! :)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 1:09 am

It's been years since I've watched Dexter, but I remember really enjoying it. I actually identified a lot with its main character, and how he basically had to force himself to "act" human so that he could fit into society. Even though he was typecast as a sociopath and not an aspie, I could still draw plenty of parallels.