Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 12:38 pm

My fellow Polish compatriots are in outrage after drunk driver killed 6 people including 9 years old kid.

This madman was under influence of alcohol and marijuana.

This is articles in English about this event
http://www.thesundaily.my/news/919779
http://www.news24.com/World/News/Drunk- ... d-20140101

Your conservative politician propose confiscation of car for drunk driver as punishment, what do you think?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 3:40 pm

Guns get confiscated when they are used to commit murder, so it makes sense that cars should get confiscated when they are used to commit murder.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 3:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
Guns get confiscated when they are used to commit murder, so it makes sense that cars should get confiscated when they are used to commit murder.

My points exactly :)

But what if the car did not belong to the perpetrator, for example, someone borrowed car to a friend, who then got drunk and caused the fatal accident?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 3:58 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My points exactly :) But what if the car did not belong to the perpetrator, for example, someone borrowed car to a friend, who then got drunk and caused the fatal accident?

Same. A murder weapon is a murder weapon, no matter who wields it.

This is why I NEVER loan my car (or my guns) to anyone else.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 5:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My points exactly :) But what if the car did not belong to the perpetrator, for example, someone borrowed car to a friend, who then got drunk and caused the fatal accident?

Same. A murder weapon is a murder weapon, no matter who wields it.

This is why I NEVER loan my car (or my guns) to anyone else.

You could say that it is that in my country Poland to get a permit for the weapon is almost impossible, you have to go very demanding psychological tests is good, despite fact that aspie like me probably don have chance :(

I found something interesting.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us...een-dwi-wreck/

looks in the U.S., for such a thing, did not even go to jail, if you have a powerful and wealthy parents :D

Last edited by pawelk1986 on 03 Jan 2014, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 5:32 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
... looks in the U.S., for such a thing, did not even go to jail, if you have a powerful and wealthy parents :D

It's that way in Europe and Asia, as well.

Money talks, no matter what language it's printed in.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 6:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
... looks in the U.S., for such a thing, did not even go to jail, if you have a powerful and wealthy parents :D

It's that way in Europe and Asia, as well.

Money talks, no matter what language it's printed in.

And that is why today World is sucks :(

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 6:26 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
It's that way in Europe and Asia, as well. Money talks, no matter what language it's printed in.

No ... that's why the world sucks for people who have no money -- no one pays any attention to them.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 6:27 pm

Except for the "war on drugs," assert forfeiture is not considered legal.

Suspension/Revocation of the driver's license is to be sufficient. You can't stop them from getting in a car and driving even if you take away THEIR car (they can get another car).

A weapon used in an INCIDENT won't be subject to permanent confiscation if the accused is not convicted of a crime. Once the police have the ballistic records, they don't need to keep the weapon if the case is closed.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 6:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
It's that way in Europe and Asia, as well. Money talks, no matter what language it's printed in.

No ... that's why the world sucks for people who have no money -- no one pays any attention to them.

Yeah, it is a painful truth, in my country we say that "If I want to hit a dog that there will always find a stick" especially if you poor and insignificant, because they elite always get it away, the best example is ex-PM of Italy Berlusconi had sex with underage girl, but nobody punish him because he had license to f**k underage :D If he was ordinary man he would be punished with full extent of the law

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 8:03 am

Fnord wrote:

That's not actually how it works, a gun might be taken for evidence, but once it's role has been played in any court cases, if the owner can legally possess it it is returned to them. If my car or gun was stolen and used in a crime, I would get them back, eventually, as would I if I lent them to someone who misused them, so long as I didn't knowingly lend them to someone who could not legally possess them, or who I knew was going to commit a crime with them. Lending is not a crime, and should not be punished like one.

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 10:46 pm

Punishment? Hmm, I would call that homicide so I would expect prison time. Punish the idiot; but for the love of God don't ban the Vodka.

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2014, 1:21 am

Booze is on a whole other level in Ukraine and Russia. I assume it is the same for Poland? I found it to be extreme. For the life and safety of others the driver must be held accountable for the deaths.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 11:39 am

Sherlock03 wrote:
Punishment? Hmm, I would call that homicide so I would expect prison time. Punish the idiot; but for the love of God don't ban the Vodka.

But Vodka is the cause of these problems, perhaps in Polnad not as heavily as in other countries of Central-eastern Europe but still.

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 3:14 pm

No, the cause of the problem was an idiot doing what idiots do best. Did the booze force its way down his throat and make him get behind the wheel? If a criminal bashes someones head in with a rock do you pass a law requiring a rock registration? Knee jerk reactions lack all rational thinking and always seem to affect the average citizen, while having no effect on the criminals.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 5:06 pm

right, take away his car. that'll totally prevent him from driving his wife's car, or his friend's car, or from getting some other car.